The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Oh, my! Carnival games are hard to win! Who'da thunk it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Ripped from the headlines! See the raw facts HERE!

Insider secret from me (don't tell anybody) - if you really want a giant teddy bear, you can buy one at Walmart!
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
The Federal and State Regulators are as much to blame as the operator, Imagine a color wheel, it is a game with a wheel with many colors on it,around the joint the same colors are painted, the player from 2 years to 101 years places a quarter on which color he wants to play, a contestant throws a ball into the spinning wheel the color the ball stops on is the winner, simple enough? Children Adults, seniors all have the same chance of winning...But NO! most states have outlawed this game cause they call it Gambling!! Yet all age groups can play for a quarter...So now what we are left with is a lot games that require the hand/eye cordination of a world class Athelete and sometimes that isn't even enough...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The game you describe seems (to me) uncomfortably close to gambling. Clearly, such a setup can be played as a flat joint very easily (just get those kids out of here and play for cash - gaffing it would be simple and building up the stakes to huge amounts would be even simpler).
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

It is Gambling...Please reread my post with comphrehension, There is no need to gaff it as the more that play, the Bigger the prize, the game can easily handle 30 or more people at a time...also all the Big/Medium or even small shows for that matter do not allow Flat stores, the BIG money is in Rides, and no Carnival owner is going to risk losing the contract over heat from the games...Basketball hoops have been oval since the begining of time, tub joints have primarily been replaced by Bank-a Ball...any game can be worked Wayne, However the Days you long for are long gone...The "Agents" are merely selling stock, Hence Water Race, Rolla Ball Ect., Ect, Build-ups if you will...anyone can win a Big Teddy Bear if they play long enough...no gaffs, Build-ups...what you long for Wayne is at the San Gennaro Fests, Rag Bags and obscure still dates and The Sideshow Gathering, I heard someone was operating a Razzle there last year...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

To those that think I am using John Strong Yahoo tactics on Wayne, I am not, I am merely responding with observations I witness every Day in front of my Rag, Plus I can assure most of the old time Agents are working for ATT, Verizon or T-Mobile, or have Died, How do I know this?...I have to walk every day thru the games to pay my Burr at the office, Yes they call me in, when I declare "With it" they respond "Huh"...The old timers would of never even called me in, in the first place...
Evel Knievel

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
When I was a kid (like 4 or 5 years old) my favorite was the ring toss for the goldfish. It was also the saddest because the stupid fish died in just a couple of days.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-14 04:52, critter wrote:
When I was a kid (like 4 or 5 years old) my favorite was the ring toss for the goldfish. It was also the saddest because the stupid fish died in just a couple of days.

Never seen Goldfish on a ringtoss, usually ping pong Balls are used...Sorry about your Fish, They are not gaffed to die in 2 Days...Agent perhaps should of told you to remove it from plastic bag when you arrived home...
Evel Knievel

petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
If they can't win the games it's their own fault for not having The Key To The Midway.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Mister Curator, I have read your post quite carefully several times, with all the comprehension any post is due. I find in it no suggestion that you personally believe that such a game constitutes or approaches gambling. I find only your seeming surprise that local authorities deem it gambling.

On its face, it may be completely innocent. But what remains is too much like pasting over the numbers on a roulette wheel with tags marked "bear" and "duck".

There is no shortage of honest "money factories" to choose from when framing a joint. The "prize every time" hanky-pank and the multiplayer game that reaps 10 fees for every 1 prize, the guesser who charges five bucks for a 50-cent prize and the oddly attractive almost-impossible-to-succeed game like "ladder climb" or "coin toss", the "dunk bozo" that yields no prizes at all and the "shoot the star" without gaffs that can be won but really it's not gonna happen, these should rake in enough money that there is no need to cheat the crowd.

I do not long to return to the "bad old days" in any way. It should bother you, as it bothers me, that any book or article published in recent years on carnival games is either a semi-outraged guide for the average Joe suggesting the secrets of "playing to win" against the "evil carny", or an exposé for law enforcement detailing how to spot rigged games.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It was these bottles with fish in them that you had to get the ring around the neck (of the bottle, not the fish).
I might have just overfed the darned thing. I was 4 and it was a goldfish Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Once again, they call it Gambling cause it is Gambling, I prefer to call it a game of Chance...however the point being in a game of chance EVERYBODY has the same odds of winning...a Kid of of 5 can place a quarter down and have the same odds as a person that is 100...Rather then have no chance unless they are Michael Jordan and lucky...Every year some article appears on How Carnivals are out to swindle the Public, The Sniper couldn't win the Shoot out the star, Hmm perhaps he didn't have the proper approach, perhaps he didn't play long enough to figure out the nuances of the Gun, yippee the bottom line is you can't be swindled if you don't play...On a lighter note at a Midwest Fair a few years back there was a Old Alibi Agent working a Tub Joint in front of me, He told me he never works Kids and he always tries to discourage them from playing, but if they insist he always makes them a winner no matter what...On the other hand I never saw anybody else win at his joint all week!, So I cracked to him.."If I pay $5 bucks, and I land 1 Ball from my ticket Box across the Midway, while Aborigines throw spears at me, Do I get the BIG stuffed Goo-rilla?", He instantly replied "NO!, its against the rules to let Aborigines watch when you make the toss much less throw spears!!.."...
Evel Knievel

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
W.C. Fields from MY LITTLE CHICKADEE

COWBOY: (Gullibly) Is this a game of chance?
FIELDS: (fanning cards) Not the way I play it, no.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The curator is right stright PC's like money wheels, coin pitches and nemerous verions of Chuck-A-Luck are almost never gaffed they are the most honest games going, and the ones the brilliant politicions and the TC's (sorry Gene) want to shut down.
Bye the bye, who ever said "Shoot the star out" short range lead gallery was stright, not I, and I used to own one. But it was a winner every time, and it was always me.
Also, I never cut down the rim on my REGULATION FREETHROW long range basketball, although Abb Brill said to. I just leared the odds and set my prizes accordingly, and limited winners to protect myself aginst reporters slipping in ringers.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Thanks Ringmaster, somtimes I get the feeling Folks here think I am agaisnt the Establishment...
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Naaaah! You're an optimist!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
Not surprised that in this age of "everyone's a winner" that articles like this are still being written. The cranks who generate this nonsense have lost the thrill of watching a wheel spin, and slow to the point where your chosen number/color juuust glides past. It's the thrill of the chase, the rush of nearly winning that every particpant feels, and it's so much better than the musty toy, IMHO.
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
What's even more disturbing these days are the west coast shows that don't hire any agents. Everything is like dizzyland. "Would You Like To Play a Game Sir?" as you walk by.... Just to confuse them, I'll say I'm "With It"...its all kids or folks with english as not a language that are hired on the midway these days.

I remember an old show operator years ago tell me that "If They didn't think we still bit the heads off of chickens, they wouldn't come."

And that there is the truth. The patrons want the thrill, the rush of brushing up against a little "seediness". They want to see toothless carnies. They want someone to take their money, whether it be a game, a show, corn dog, or a product.

Most game joints these days just sell slum, no different that me half the time, except we give them the "Hippie Show" to go along with it.

Out west its all been sanitized; no one calls you in anymore, not with any flair anyway.

Its sad....But we still have to keep going, that's why we re-invent ourselves every so often to separate the folks from their dollars.

It's a secret right now, but I am working on a concept for next year that will combine grind with service/product.

For us, on the midway, that is our rush; implementing new ideas and concepts, framing new joints, getting paint splattered all over us and grinning from ear to ear with the potential dollar signs flashing through our brains.

The rush of a new idea, or even an old one re-worked, is our blood.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Hay buddy .......
With it
With what ?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
No, Hay Budden is an anvil company.

I may be mistaken, but isn't gambling laying money down to chance for winning money? I think laying down cash to chance for winning a cheap doll/toy/poster/lizard/what-have-you is a game. I'm pretty sure if AC and Vegas changed their rules and made folks play for swag they'd see a heck of a lot of loss. Could you imagine world champ poker tournament with a pile of stuffed dolls in the middle of the table?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Call it "Texas Cuddle'em".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Oh, my! Carnival games are hard to win! Who'da thunk it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL