The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Is Dynamo the new Criss Angel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Watched it and gotta laugh at the comments made by some folk ,it screams camera trick,cool tho.
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
I don't live in the UK, is Dynamo as successful as Derren Brown over there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKiUaqBCOJU&feature=related
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mr Monkey,

No, Dynomo isn't as successful as Derren over here.

He's had his 2nd series commissioned, which is great, and people seem to like him at the moment. But Derren's been on our screens for over a decade and has been doing his thing live for a lot longer than that.

I can't see how Dynomo would sell out West End theatres like Derren does. I'm not saying its not possible, but Derren has that "something" that few performers have. I don't think Dynomo has it.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Rabid
To be fair though, they're both completely different performers.

I think Dynamo deserves major props for what he's accomplished. Remember he started out as most of us do, but pushed himself a bit further, took videos of him doing magic for people, put them on YouTube (but proper performance videos, not like most of the dross) and worked it up to where he is today.

Credit where credit is due....the boy's done well.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I'd say in the UK, he is more comparable to David Blaine more than Derren Brown.
He's being marketed to a younger 'street' audience.

A lot of performers are reporting being compared to him, when on close-up gigs and many joke about how many times they have been asked to put an iPhone inside a bottle.

MoM published an article on what magicians can learn from him here

http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2012/06/dyna......its.html

Hope this helps

Dom
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, I've changed my thinking about Angel/Blaine. Any time magic is highlighted for ANY group is good! If Dynamo can generate interest in magic in this day and age, I applaud him! And I do recognize the fact that doing magic in the U.K. is a WHOLE lot different than doing magic in the U.S. by far!

I love people from the U.K., but I would think TWICE before I performed for you! Ha ha! You would rip me to shreds, and eat me alive! Smile

Doug
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
After the Terrible Magicians now dropped
by the BBC

Dynamo is the only general magic show left
In the UK generally the reactions from lay
persons is very strong

Any one in USA you can down a Dynamo app
from the apple store to give you an idea of what
He does
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
I found his specials better produced than Criss Angel's ones. Dynamo definitely got better taste, and yes, doing that kind of stuff in the UK feels refreshing.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Regardless of what any of us here feels he's the one with a TV show. So he's doing something right.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 10:57, Dougini wrote:
Ya know, I've changed my thinking about Angel/Blaine. Any time magic is highlighted for ANY group is good! If Dynamo can generate interest in magic in this day and age, I applaud him! And I do recognize the fact that doing magic in the U.K. is a WHOLE lot different than doing magic in the U.S. by far!

I love people from the U.K., but I would think TWICE before I performed for you! Ha ha! You would rip me to shreds, and eat me alive! Smile

Doug

I earn my living performing magic in the UK, and honestly most people love it.

I have to say that I love it when tv series like this are on, our bookings go up Smile
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
Dynamo is definately a big thing over here, and people mention him all the time out on the streets, in pubs etc. He certainly got chops, and his TV show is very nice.

Can't compare with Derren Brown though, two completely different kind of performers. It is nice to have two magicians with so much media attention though, it kind of drags everyone along to a better position I think.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Is Dynamo the new Criss Angel? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL