The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Drought! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The electricity just blipped here. Might lose it altogether. Farmers at the Farmers Market getting worried about their cattle. My sister counted 3 drops rain on the windshield this morning. Most were hoping for more than that.

We'll see...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
We are having a California drought. That means that the water content in the snow where the water comes from is very high above average. But areas that doesn't have rain and gets water from the mountains didn't get rain so it is a severe drought but it won't effect farms.

Of course in California if the water does get too low the state will say it must me preserved, spend millions on ads on tv and radio, then drain the resreviors to check the quality of mud and if any microbes are endangered.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Most Illinois corn looks pretty bad right now. Many farmers have already considered it a total loss.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The South had three weeks of near-drought, but now we have had rain for about two straight weeks.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ohio reporting in... forecast is about 60% yield on average for corn. The coincidence of poor economy and poor weather is troubling...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Yes,
California has not had much rain, it's been pretty dry, but heck it sure is
cool compared to the rest of the country. I'll take it without any complaints.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You just ain't lived, Devious, until you bush hog some fields in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 21:35, Michael Baker wrote:
Most Illinois corn looks pretty bad right now. Many farmers have already considered it a total loss.

Pretty much the same here. I think this week they will have to make a decision, cut down what they have for animal feed, or try to make a go of it. I expect many of them will be cuting their losses. Forecast still doesn't look good for rain so expect high prices for corn and meat. I know at my butcher shop the price of certain cuts of beef have alrerady risen around $1.50 per pound over the last 6-8 weeks.

Water levels are very low here. All the ephemeral ponds have long since dried up and most of the areas that typically hold decent amounts of water are extremely low. I was just talking to a state wildlife biologist about banding ducks late this summer and he thinks the whole effort in his area may have to be scrapped. Not enough birds in the area to make it worthwhile. Typically it would start mid-late August but I don't see that happening.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We have had a very long drought here, in fact it's almost like livin' in a desert.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for reporting here, all.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Finally some rain here today- it might have caught this little one off guard:

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yea! hope it really helps.

-Mary
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Still so far behind here. Maybe a little rain later this week. 104F here today. Anything that might fall will likely evaporate before it does any good.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Mary, Michael. We had steady showers over the afternoon yesterday and it was very welcome. Still need more but glad for what we got. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the part that bites. (Comming from a middle American farm land.)

Even if you even out eventually getting to overall right amount of rain, often the damage is DONE. It doesn't help quite as much. The numbers can end up quite deceptive and that just sucks.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2012-07-15 21:35, Michael Baker wrote:

'
That's too bad, it was looking great before: 'Knee High by the Fourth of July' and it was head high by then. Hope the rain is a gusher.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
We've had a few hours of rain now today, and still raining. Smile Looks like there still might be time to turn things around here significantly.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wish we could say the same. Damage here is significant.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 18:09, Dannydoyle wrote:
I wish we could say the same. Damage here is significant.

Hope things get better.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Going to be hundreds all week.

The Jedi are going to feel this one I am afraid.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Drought! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL