The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Copperfield Book Test on Oprah (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Jamie Salinas
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Very nice, thanks for the link J.Prager

and the original also of course Smile
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of mpicard
Wow, I was coming here to post the link but once again I was beaten to it!!! A great job by David IMHO.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I like the part were Oprah says, "I'm nervous." Now THAT'S creating a moment!
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Magician does mentalism? Whatever next? Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 17:45, Shrubsole wrote:

Good point and notice the common statement/question ask of magicians by Oprah, "How did you do that?"

Ray
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:

Mentalist uses playing cards! Smile

At least it was well done. I seen a well known magican "murder" the MOABT on national TV, a while back.

Seems to me that there is a "free for all" when it comes to Book tests.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 18:00, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Quote:

Good point and notice the common statement/question ask of magicians by Oprah, "How did you do that?"

I was waiting for, " very well"!

Ray
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
641 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:

Right on, man! David Copperfield, David Blaine, Criss Angel, Cyril, Keith Barry, etc. have no business ever performing the almighty art of mentalism! All those stupid magicians are always screwing things up, aren't they? I wish some of the brilliant performers here on the Café could have set David Copperfield straight before he went on Oprah's television show shot on Musha Cay. He clearly has no clue what he's doing. He really needs one of the real performers from here on the Café to tell him magic and mentalism don't go together at all! They don't relate in any way! It's totally impossible to successfully combine them. What was David Copperfield thinking?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why the angry hostility exitmat? The "almighty art of mentalism?" Really?

Magicians have included mental effects in their acts throughout the history of magic. Some do them very well, some don't. Copperfield does them well.

The argument that I have always made is about the wisdom of mentalists doing magic in their shows, not the other way around. (BTW, I AM a "real" performer. Also note that Keith Barry, for whom I've worked as a consultant, is now a mentalist and no longer bills himself as a magician.)
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Exitmat,

We are having fun, buddy. Chill.

Most of the time when a magician does mentalism, it is metal magic with no jazz! I like to jazz......

David did very well with the book test but found it funny that the woman made that comment! LOL

Ray
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
He did it very well.

When you stop to think about it, Copperfield does nearly everything well.

Thank you for sharing that link, Jamie. I really enjoyed it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Copperfield is the magician of the century!
I think nobody will say the opposite!
This man is THE magician, now his book test presentation was rather flat.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 04:42, parmenion wrote:

Agreed. Copperfield is amazing... no argument here... but, I felt the performance was lack luster.. as if he were just 'going though the motions'.

His reveal was also a little trite... IMO.

Maybe some dramatic, emotive music...( while he is talking about his mother) but stopped sharp the second he reveals the word.... only to continue, and swell to a victorious crescendo, would have done the trick!!?? Smile
DavidSena
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of DavidSena
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 04:42, parmenion wrote:

Agreed but we have to see that from a mental magic standpoint he wasn't too bad except in the "numbers range" choice, he should have covered that in his script as he narrowed the choices without any kind of justification (Just a simple: "Ok so that book might have around 20 lines per page, correct? Choose any number between that..." ) so that subconsciously it would make more sense the restriction. In his performance he just threw numbers out and the spectator has to related that and understand why it can't be between 1 and 100.

Like parmenion said the presentation was flat, there was no emotional hook or any angle to make anyone related to that demonstration (not even to the power being demonstrated) but despite performing a book test, he wasn't performing mentalism so I guess it was ok.

David
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Not a direct put down, but many say that DC's magic show is not what it used to be and often use the words 'Just going through the motions'. He was a bit that way when I saw him in 2002 in Brussels. And no new TV specials since before that even.

Fortunately I got to see him before that when he really was out of this world.

Still it must be very tiring being on top all the time when you are getting older. He will certainly be remembered as one of the greatest of all time.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
David is not one of the greatest of all time, he IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME! The facts support that. For those that watched the interview, Oprah commented about all of his accolades and his reply was basically how quickly people forget. This is so true! I love mentalism but I still don't understand the elitist attitudes mentalists have.

I thought is presentation was VERY GOOD! It may not have been great but under the circumstances with time and television, I thought it was done well. Exitmat, I hope you were being sarcastic but you probably were not. Take a poll of the general public about magic and mentalism and I am willing to bet the general public does not know what mentalism is or would they know any mentalists by name. Well, Derren Brown will be the exception in his country and maybe the crime television show here in the US but that has now dropped in ratings and has moved to Sunday nights!

In television, there is no time for the "extra" performance bits as people will change the channel if you are not doing something interesting. Live performances is very different from television performances. If you attended or watched the Essential Magic Conference, you would have seen Luis DeMatos go into great detail about performing magic on television. At this point some of you are thinking, wait a minute that is magic not mentalism, but I will say mentalism is a form of magic just like country and western is a type of music.

Just my two cents!
Jamie Salinas
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well I guess that settles that! Smile
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Bob,

I am so glad I was not drinking anything when I read your comment as my screen would be all wet! I could actually hear your voice in your comment. Thanks for making my day and I hope to see you in November!
Jamie Salinas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » David Copperfield Book Test on Oprah (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL