The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've used the Joshua Quinn idea since I got Paralies and have always gotten a strong reaction. Thought Association Card is a natural, clever outgrowth of this idea. I really like it. I haven't tried it yet, but in working on the routining and presentation, came up with this idea that I thought I'd share.

Here's a ploy to help emphasize the fact that the spectators never writes anything down. Once each spectator has arrived at their final word, hand them each your business card and ask them to write their word on the back, but just before they start to do that, change your mind. Explain that when the original experiments were conducted, the participants wrote down their thought to document them. But that was one of the major criticisms of the study because of the potential for secretly finding out what they wrote. So, tell the spectators not to write anything down. Just keep it as their own, private thought. Take the business cards back and use them yourself to write down and reveal the words that you've just plucked from their minds.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Nice one, Mr. M.

El Mystico, you're correct, my applications were an outgrowth of Grey Elephants -- specifically, the desire to do a Grey Elephants-like effect without the initial number force. I mention this in ParaLies, though I couldn't find where Grey Elephants originated either.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Mr. Mindbender,

What a clever idea... thanks for sharing it Smile

Hi El Mystico,

I, too, was unable to discover the originator of Grey Elephants, but I should have made mention of it nonetheless. Thank you for pointing out the omission.

Regards, Steve
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I printed out a word list and placed it at the back of the book test called Reflection from Outlaw. Now I have four test that I can do and it adds greatly to Reflections.

Ray
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Ray,

I love Reflections and putting the TAC list in the back is a great idea!

Regards, Steve
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with part of this effect and if you can prove you've purchased it and want to talk shop send me a PM. And if you haven't purchased it yet, do so you won't regret it. Not only is the effect awesome but Steve is a stand up guy.
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Quote:
On 2012-10-27 01:50, yachanin wrote:
Hi El Mystico,

I, too, was unable to discover the originator of Grey Elephants, but I should have made mention of it nonetheless. Thank you for pointing out the omission.

I may be completely wrong on this, but didn't Max Maven create Grey Elephants?

- Bob
Kobra
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Kobra
Tempted by the great reviews, purchased
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Preston, England
382 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
This is a great addition to the 'almost real' category of mind reading. There are some fantastic ideas, not only in the main book but in the supplement as well. I'm already looking forward to the next update, which I'm sure will be here soon.

Tony
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I posted this in the Patrick Redford's Hexagon thread, but thought as it had some relevance to the Thought Association Card, I'd copy and paste it over here as well.

"I have just finished this. I recall a month or two back that there was a thread discussing effects to do with time or watches...something like that.

Patrick dropped in on that thread and teased us with Hexagon. Being familiar with Patrick's thinking, I stopped looking for other effects and sat patiently waiting for this. He did not mislead. There are almost too many options to choose from.

This publication has already been thoroughly reviewed, so apart from taking a moment to echo the sentiment that Time Turner is fine thinking, I won't rehash what has been said already.

What I will say is that if you own Stephen Yachanin's Thought Association Card, you should buy this for Ring, Watch, Wallet. Then figure out how to blend the two. I am not going to say any more than that - I think what I've stumbled upon is too strong....but I will point you in the right direction.

Overall, this is a good buy.

I also enjoyed Colin and Ken's cameos. I like it when there are inside references and a sense of community.

So, a big thanks to Patrick for his great thinking!"

Best,

Atlas
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Atlas,
Nice idea!

This idea will work with other routines that are done over the phone. I don't have Patrick's routine but I do a routine that calls for three items.

Great idea!

Best
Ray
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Ray,

I am glad you like it! I think the two approaches lend themselves to great interaction.

Best,

Atlas
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

I'm nearly finished with the preparations of a second supplement to Thought Association Card and hope to send it out by the end of the week. It contains some great new subtleties, ideas, and routines contributed by the following:

Atlas Brookings
Adam Flemming
Mike Draganic
Bill Fritz
Laurence Hookway
Mr. Houdini
Laurence Morland
Ray Noble
Joshua Quinn
Vince Smith
John Taylor
Bobby Warren
Stephen Young
“Anonymous”

As an extra bonus in the supplement, Atlas Brookings has created a special TAC-based routine within his "The Real Thing" book test that is EXCLUSIVE to those who have "Thought Association Card." I'm very excited about this and I think TAC users will be as well. If you haven't read about "The Real Thing," check out the following: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=303

Regards, Steve
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
*mouth waters in anticipation*

It's the gift that keeps on giving!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
I have this now for about two weeks, I printed two cards and one special card for the f*****G a word. Fits very nicely in my SAW and I had a chance to fully test it at a fundraiser this past Sunday night. I got some seriously insane reactions!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Shame on me.

Late last year I won a copy of this and which Stephen kindly sent me. Despite my best intentions, things have got in the way and I have only just got round to reading what Stephen sent.

What a fantastic idea and, being based in the UK, I was pleased to see the many suggestions given for its application over here.

I shall enjoy putting this into use Smile

Neil
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Yes, the newer versions are a great improvement on the original. I prefer using the gender friendly myself.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Neil,

I know exactly what you mean... I have my "must read" stack and it grows faster than I can get through it Smile

Hi aligator,

Many people I speak with prefer the gender friendly version as well... I tend to use that version more often than not myself (It does, however, depend on my audience) Smile

Regards, Steve
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

This should be GOOD! I really like doing TAC.

Ray
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I know that I've said it elsewhere, but I will say it again - I am indebted to Steve for allowing me to use TAC in the 'Real Thing' book test. The portion of the book test that is down to my own thinking is great, but the addition of the gender-friendly system from Steve's TAC greatly compliments this system and creates a routine that trancends its component parts. Steve didn't have to share, but he did and I can't express my appreciation thoroughly enough.

So what does this book test allow you to do? Well, as I indicated above, there are two portions to it that draw from different methods. One section relies on the "Thought Association Card" method (which those of you celebrating the release of another supplement will be familiar with), and the other section relies on the "Real Thing" method. Anyone familiar with Steve's work will know what his section allows you to do, and what you can do with the "Real Thing" section is described below:

"Imagine being able to have someone choose a word from a book, close the book and set it aside, and then change their word to any other word they can think of (and I'm not talking about a different word from the book, or a word from a category, but ANY other word they can think of) - only to have the performer subsequently reveal their new word with NO fishing!"

You can use anywhere from one to four different participants with this book test and reveal a different thought for each, climaxing in the revelation that is based on the "Real Thing" technique.

And, for anyone who has not yet purchased TAC, it is a great value for money, inexpensive, portable and fairly impromptu. Why don't you own this?? And if you are still skeptical, dig up the 'Best of the Year' thread in Penny and count how many times Steve is mentioned.

It is a winner. I promise.

Best,

Atlas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL