The Magic Cafι
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
I really like the sound of this , but may I ask about the printing ? To put this on cards do you need any special printer , paper or apps? Im about to replace my old printer.
I assume no one has made these up for sale.. UK version.. have they?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
No, just use vistaprint, you get a load done for less than a tenner...they always have codes and offers...its done to fit their template, but feel free to do it at home...
I've asked to be banned
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Roki,

I print the cards with my hp ink jet printer on heavy card stock and trim them on a paper cutter. Some laminate the cards as well (I do not). I am speaking about the cards in the Thought Association Card PDF file.

Regards, Steve
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
Oh great . Thanks to both of you , two good options there.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I received this from Steve a few days ago.
And have read thru most of it.This is a wonderful
effect.A lot of thinking has gone into this project.
And some of the best in the business have added a lot
of their takes on it also.I have also ordered the
Word search detective too.I think this will really
enhance the effect.I really love this a lot.
Thanks Steve for giving such a wonderful effect to us.
Todd
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Todd,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm so glad that you are enjoying TAC. I have been very fortunate that so many creative individuals have developed new twists with TAC and have allowed me to share them.

Regards, Steve
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I just got home from a show, and told my wife I will be going to sleep right after I email a friend.

I was excited because I combined Steve Yachanin's Thought Association Card with Max Maven's Kirigami (which is on sale at Penguin).

I basically performed Kirigami without a reveal, and when each of my two helpers had formed two different words, I used the TAC approach to think of two additional words.

I like this, but it has some limitations due to the nature of Kirigami. However, if you have both of them, then I would give it a try.

In my email to Steve, I let him know how I handed the TAC portion of the effect. If he wants to share it with you, then I have no problem with it. But, I am going to leave that up to him.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

"Thank you," Bobby, for allowing me to share your idea of combining Kirigami and TAC. I think it gives a totally different look and feel to both effects... very creative thinking.

I purposely wrote Bobby's handling of the TAC portion cryptically to avoid exposure, but in a way (hopefully) that will be understood by those who own both effects:

For first Kirigami word: second... "fruit?" second... "state?" For second Kirigami word: second... "breakfast food?"... middle... "state?" I hope this makes sense.

I think it's wonderful that people continue to come up with their own twists and modifications of TAC... it always brings a smile to my face Smile

Regards, Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2014, jaizon wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2013, Robvs wrote:
I usually kill with the TAC, but have had a recent batch of comments such as "but you never told me the word I initially chose" types of comments. A difficult comment to overcome during performance- rather discouraging, too.

I just got TAC a couple of weeks ago and have had similar responses regarding people asking about their "original" word. I refer back to the script I have told them about energy levels and that at the beginning in just choosing a word the energy production was not high enough for me to get more of an read than the single letter that I did. I hope that makes sense to you. Just remind them the experiment was not about the initial pick but about the overall effect they were producing.

And I have to tell you that Steve was great when I had a few questions. He responded with excellent answers and in a timely fashion. I do, indeed, have Atlas' The Real Thing and the book to use both effects and I'm really looking forward to that.

Preston

Just tell them in the beginning, " I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting. Let's give it a shot."
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I like that line, 'I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting.'

It can be a good opening for the sort of things we do - or try to!
Freddie Henderson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Freddie Henderson
I have totally rewritten this in my own English version and it kills . The final word is never on my laminated card of over 100 words to choose from and it’s so well layered it really slays . It’s a great lead into greater coincidence routines in my humble opinion . Top notch Steve , I believe I have enhanced it further 🙂
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Freddie,

I'd love to hear more about the enhancements you've made to TAC. Drop me a PM when you have a chance.

Regards, Steve
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I am using the non gender edition which works here in Canada. No problem in presenting this as long as the volunteer is able to follow instructions. It goes over well in a small group or parlour setting using both cards and can be adapted to one on one as well.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Used this once more last night to good effect. Shout out to Steve who resupplied me with instructions that I had misplaced on a secondary computer. It is nice to be able to do this again.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Aligator

Glad to help and I'm happy to read you are enjoying TAC!

Regards, Steve
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
176 Posts

Profile of lekin
I have recently "returned" to magic and mental magic and have been working with TAC. For the gender neutral script, I developed a list of world cities/landmarks that can still satisfy the necessary requirements for the second phase of the effect.

My thinking is this. You explain that you believe you are getting a strong hit on the appropriate letter of their chosen word, but are having a hard time with the others -- perhaps a stronger association can be made with a visual aid. You present some cards with visual aids to help make a stronger association.

Please select the location whose first letter is the same as the letter you got a hit on in your original word. Once again, please focus on the location -- the pictures are just to help your focus and strengthen the association. This should lead them to choices that allow you to proceed to the third phase. Β 

I developed my cards with the idea that they accompanied "original" test. Consequently, I produced them using a font that suggests a typewriter, used black and white illustrations, and tried to make sure that any references would be historically accurate. Thus, for example, Jerusalem is listed as "Palestine" -- if the original test were to have been developed in the 30's or 40's . Of course, this could be adapted.

Again, nothing is written down and the volunteer(s) merely THINK of the new word.Β 

I believe some additional subtleties might be possible -- For example, after solving their final word, you might say, I'm intrigued by your second word -- can you refocus on that -- With a bit of fishing, it should be possible to identify their chosen location -- I had the impression that you were thinking of someplace that had something pointed, perhaps towards the sky -- which tells you that it is either Cairo or Manhattan; if they say no, then it must be Tabriz (carpet). I welcome suggestions to nurse this along, but I thought I would share this with you for your feedback.Β 

My list of cities/landmarks: Athens – Acropolis; Beirut – Pigeon Rocks; Cairo – Pyramids; Denver – Rocky Mountains; Edinburgh – Edinburgh Castle; Florence – Medici Palace; Geneva – Lake Geneva; Havana – Cathedral; Istanbul – Grand Mosque; Jerusalem – Holy Sepulchre; Lisbon – Port; Manhattan – Empire State Building; New Orleans – French Quarter; Ottawa – Parliament Building; Paris – Eiffel Tower; Quito – Cathedral (Built 1526); Rome – Colesseum; San Francisco – Golden Gate Bridge; Tabriz – Carpets; Uppsala – University; Vienna – Opera House; Westminster – Westminster Abbey; Yellowstone Park – Old Faithful; Zanzibar – Old Stone Fort.

Of course, you can adapt your own list or images to go along. I used royalty free clip art, and encourage you to do the same.

Let me know what you think.
Larry Ekin
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Looks good Larry.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

When Larry shared this with me, I smiled a big smile. I think adding visuals to help strengthen the associations is a great idea. The creativity shown by TAC users never ceases to amaze me Smile Kudos to you, Larry!

Regards, Steve
Bifurcati
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Bifurcati
Hi Steve - I've just discovered TAC and am intrigued! However, I'm in Australia - without giving anything away, are you able to say if the region-specific component of the card related to language (such that UK English would be equivalent) or is there a geographic component that would mean Aussies would be out of the loop and it wouldn't work for them? Thanks in advance!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Bifurcati,

I'm glad we had a chance to correspond and that you are able to use TAC in Australia. You could even play around with it and develop a variation that is specific to your region in Australia... the method is pretty versatile. Smile

Regards, Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thought Association Card (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL