The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Removing Spyware or Adware (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I can't get on the internet anymore because of all the pop-ups I receive. My system constantly locks up due to the barrage of ads!

How can I totally remove the Spyware or Adware that allows the pop-ups? I can't even type this post without closing a dozen windows!

HELP!!
William Holcomb
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Try a program called Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad-Adware. They are both free and can be downloaded off the internet. If you install a McAfee Firewall it will also keep the spyware from accessing the net. I have these programs and get maybe one (if that) popup a day. If you have a program like Kazaa, you can not remove certain spyware like Gator or Gain because Kazaa will not work without those programs installed. The firewall will keep them from causing popups though.

Micheal Leath
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
William,
I like Ad-Aware. You can go here for a free, or more functional paid version.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I use Ad-Ware to remove what's already there. But, you will also need an ad-blocker. I use Norton Internet Security and activate the pop-up ad blocker. Be aware, though, that you may sometimes have to disable it to allow you to view certain graphics. For instance, the banner ads here in the Café do not show up unless I disable Norton.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
If you're running Internet Explorer on Windows, then install the Google toolbar. This has a popup suppression filter and it’s free! After you install this, you do have to go to the "Options" menu and turn it on.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Thanks for all the help. I installed Ad-Aware last evening and I've gotten only two pop-ups so far! Amazing..I almost threw my computer out a window!
William Holcomb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Removing Spyware or Adware (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL