The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good, overwhelming, crazy news! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm really excited to share what's been happening lately and also ask for any advice you all can share.

I got back into magic fairly recently, but am doing well at it and am starting to grow my hobby into a small business.

I posted on here a while back that I have a coffee shop gig coming up this fall. Since then, I'm doing a children's show at a school classroom in a couple of weeks, I have a birthday party for adults coming up in October and-

AND- this is really cool! I just took a job working at a fitness club where I've become the "resident magician." Kind of tongue in cheek, but it seems to be catching on. This opportunity is so cool! They have lots of kids activities there and are already talking about booking me into next years' daytime activity camp. They also do lots of parties there. I just got a gig for a kids birthday party today thanks to a great guy on the staff that coordinates club parties and has my card- he is already selling me. Smile I happened to walk in on the conversation and speak with the lady and she is very excited to have me come to the party. I even got to "print" her a business card. Smile

I guess I could use advice for preparing a simple contract- just something that gives both parties piece of mind and looks professional. And anything else really. I've looked into writing contracts here on the Café and haven't really found too much.

Any advice on what to charge would be great as well. Thank you in advance!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
First off congrats on your progress. I would also like to know of someone else's contract. I usually have one that says my name, the clients name, price, then I have check boxes one for type of show like a walk around or one large show. Then a check box for the duration 15 min, 30min, 45min. The next check off box is paid or not paid and if paid how they paid it. Then I leave a comments space for anything like type of audience, if they want a certain type of magic (cards, coins, rope) and any other things such as if a table is provided or tight space that I may be working in (such as a living room). Note that mine is novice, but I did type it up nicely on word and it looks good.Hopefully that helps.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
That's great. Regarding contracts you need to talk to a lawyer, I guess?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
MUM rana series of excerpts from Josha Jay's book called Over Under recently. MUM is the monthly from SAM (there is a section at The Café for SAM). I recall there was guidance there on contracts There are also a number of books on the business side of magic that would provide guidance. Ask at your local magic shop or club

Hudson
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Check out the Tricky Business section for contract stuff. Be prepared for conflicting opinions! :8>)

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good, overwhelming, crazy news! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL