The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » FISM was it as bad as the on line reports ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Duplicate Post
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
I find this really interesting as I do got to Blackpool Convention BUT I have heard so many bad things about DL that I am beginning to thing the guy is a megalomaniac with serious issues.
I really wanted to go to FISM but finances prevented me and had to wait for a Dealer friend to come back and tell me what it was like.

His report said this.....

Positives: Great contests, great competitors, good magicians in attendance and good banter and fun to be had privately.

Negatives: Rediculously overpriced, bad organisation, terrible choices of magic in gala shows which was almost embarrasing to watch. Dealer hall was almost empty most of the time and 75% of the dealers grumbled that it was almost not worth coming as hardly anyone made a good profit. Catering for special events was disgracefull and cheap and not enough had been provided to cater for differing food tastes.
and the thing that made me laugh was the FREE gifts:

I got a chance to see these amazing FREE gifts and was so shocked with what I saw? A cheap RED bag that would have cost a fiver from a cheap shop with a badly printed label, a pack of really badly designed jumbo playing cards, a badge? a crap teddy bear that was comemorative and the worst thing was a hardback book containg magic you would NEVER EVER eant or would perorm.

DL had even had the cheek to print that the book was worth £150?????? I personally wouldn't have paid a fiver for it and many people SOLD there book imediately on return from the convention.

Overall? Worst convention my friend has ever been to and a complete waste of time and money
May your darkness come quickly
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 09:24, Cameron Francis wrote:
$30,000 profit! Ha! I wish! I don't know where you are getting that information from but it's not correct. There may be a one or two who do that but not the majority.

Yes, the maths makes no sense. Let's assume a 100% markup by dealers. So to make $30,000 profit, sales would need to be in the region of $60,000. 120 dealers averaging those sales means total takings of $7,200,000. With around 2,400 attendees at FISM, that works out at a dealer spend averaging $3,000 per attendee. I think not. I would guess one tenth of that at best.

Mike
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 12:20, Michael Daniels wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 09:24, Cameron Francis wrote:
$30,000 profit! Ha! I wish! I don't know where you are getting that information from but it's not correct. There may be a one or two who do that but not the majority.

Yes, the maths makes no sense. Let's assume a 100% markup by dealers. So to make $30,000 profit, sales would need to be in the region of $60,000. 120 dealers averaging those sales means total takings of $7,200,000. With around 2,400 attendees at FISM, that works out at a dealer spend averaging $3,000 per attendee. I think not. I would guess one tenth of that at best.

Mike

I have already explained this is from Page 70 from this Month’s Genii

“Numerous People have been banned from Attending or Banned from having a Dealer Table including me for Minor Transgressions that most others would never even notice but to Mr Leaver any criticism, no matter how small is met with banish-meant. Performers and Dealers keep their mouths Shut no matter the indignities thrust upon them.

When someone can walk away with $15,000 in cash after giving a lecture, or make $30,000 in cash in the Dealer Room,

Negative Aspects of their experience suddenly seam……distant.”

Looks like Richard Kaufman is spot on with his review
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 11:55, drjohn wrote:
I find this really interesting as I do got to Blackpool Convention BUT I have heard so many bad things about DL that I am beginning to thing the guy is a megalomaniac with serious issues.
I really wanted to go to FISM but finances prevented me and had to wait for a Dealer friend to come back and tell me what it was like.

His report said this.....

Positives: Great contests, great competitors, good magicians in attendance and good banter and fun to be had privately.

Negatives: Rediculously overpriced, bad organisation, terrible choices of magic in gala shows which was almost embarrasing to watch. Dealer hall was almost empty most of the time and 75% of the dealers grumbled that it was almost not worth coming as hardly anyone made a good profit. Catering for special events was disgracefull and cheap and not enough had been provided to cater for differing food tastes.
and the thing that made me laugh was the FREE gifts:

I got a chance to see these amazing FREE gifts and was so shocked with what I saw? A cheap RED bag that would have cost a fiver from a cheap shop with a badly printed label, a pack of really badly designed jumbo playing cards, a badge? a crap teddy bear that was comemorative and the worst thing was a hardback book containg magic you would NEVER EVER eant or would perorm.

DL had even had the cheek to print that the book was worth £150?????? I personally wouldn't have paid a fiver for it and many people SOLD there book imediately on return from the convention.

Overall? Worst convention my friend has ever been to and a complete waste of time and money

Funny how Nothing much has changed with Mr Leaver and his Crap Gifts

I remember about 6 Years ago for registering early you would be entitled to a limited edition Attaché Case worth £75.00!!

Turned out to be a cheap Plastic Bag that you could get in the Pound Store
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I’ve never been to a FISM but have been watching closely reports over the years of previous FISMs and it seems to me that the quality has slowly deteriorated over the years. I’m surprised that this has come as a great surprise. For something this is supposed to be the Olympic equivalent of the magic world I think people are right in expecting a very high standard.

Look at the reports of Sue Anne in years past:

http://fismreports.blogspot.com.au/2007/......one.html

Magically

Aus
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that the FISM organization receives 1.5% of the ticket revenue. Otherwise, this is just another magic convention, in this case hosted by the Blackpool Magician's Club. So this isn't like (say) the Olympics, where the organizing body can in many ways dictate what happens and also benefit in a big way economically. If this is correct, I'm not sure FISM deserves much blame for what happened.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I didn't go, but had two friends that did.

One said it was a good convention, but not the best. The other said the best bit for him was going to see Blackpool Tower Circus, which has nothing to do with FISM or the Blackpool convention.

Both commented on how bad the gala show was. But they also both said how glad they were to have seen Yann Frisch's act live and that this was the highlight. Neither liked the stage winner that much, I forget his name, saying that he was boring to watch despite being technically amazing.

I'm quite shocked to hear of a personal feud being taken public by publishing it in the programme. That's not good at all. These things should be left to more private discussions.

I'm also quite shocked that Genii claims that many dealers are afraid to say anything negative due to the risk of being banned from future events. If this is true then that's not good either, how can anything evolve and improve if all you hear are the positive reviews. Also, I would imagin anyone working the dealer's hall would have a different experience than a punter. They are, after all, working and their needs are different than those of the paying public,

Personally I've always enjoyed the Blackpool convention, and the main reason I didn't go was because it was organised by those who do Blackpool. I didn't want to go to the same convention but for more money. It seems my judgement was correct this time, although I would've loved to have seen Yann's act live!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-30 21:30, billappleton wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that the FISM organization receives 1.5% of the ticket revenue. Otherwise, this is just another magic convention, in this case hosted by the Blackpool Magician's Club. So this isn't like (say) the Olympics, where the organizing body can in many ways dictate what happens and also benefit in a big way economically. If this is correct, I'm not sure FISM deserves much blame for what happened.

Well FISM Selected Blackpool to host the 2012 Convention

I know there was no one else that bid but maybe it might have been better to miss a year as they say sometimes

Less Is More
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-08-31 04:44, Roslyn wrote:
I'm also quite shocked that Genii claims that many dealers are afraid to say anything negative due to the risk of being banned from future events. If this is true then that's not good either, how can anything evolve and improve if all you hear are the positive reviews. Also, I would imagin anyone working the dealer's hall would have a different experience than a punter. They are, after all, working and their needs are different than those of the paying public,

I have Hit a Nerve with some people with this, but the fact is a few years ago the Late Roy Roth

Once Asked Mr Leaver if him and a few other dealers could open half hour early, the Next year Roy was not at Blackpool and when I asked him why he told me he was Banned by Mr Leaver as he considered him too destructive influence around the dealers (Most could not believe what had happened and in private was outraged,

but of course no one would say anything in Public ) as demonstrated in case the same thing happened to them
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
I've spoken to several dealers who had stands at FISM. The most successful told me they just about broke even. Others made a significant loss.

Dealers do better at the regular Blackpool Convention, but the figures quoted in Genii are the rare exception rather than the rule. I know of a few names who have taken £10,000 - £20,000 in cash at Blackpool, but these were the big headline performers doing the main lectures, and selling their own DVD's and bargain bundles of other cheap to produce effects at well below the normal price. Most dealers don't make anything like that, especially those who are not also lecturing, but it's well worth them going.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Roy Roth told me the same thing Jack
Other top dealers have also made the same comments although I will not name them
Because for sure Mr Lever would take retribution.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
You might want to check but I don't believe Roy has left us yet.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 16:48, Martino wrote:

I was going by info contained within the opening remarks of the DVD produced by the World Magic Shop that accompanies the Executive Wallet -
Quote:
"Roy passed away a few years ago now but we have purchased the rights of this trick from his family".
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Well unfortuately World Magic shop haven't checked there facts, on another forum, Roy's son posted that his father was still alive but very poorly in a care home. Details of his present whereabouts were withheld due to Roy's state of health and the fact that he is not up to contact or receiving any visitors.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Also it is alleged that in the past Mr Lever has threatened to ban dealers from attending the Blackpool convention if they attended another convention some weeks prior to his. This resulted in some dealers withdrawing from the first convention so as not to upset Mr Lever.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 17:22, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:

I was going by info contained within the opening remarks of the DVD produced by the World Magic Shop that accompanies the Executive Wallet -
Quote:
"Roy passed away a few years ago now but we have purchased the rights of this trick from his family".

That's what happens when the fire of rumour is fed by the fuel of gossip. The truth gets distorted.

Just like all the negative rumours about FISM perpetuated by the few, believed by the many.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I went to FISM just on the Saturday. I had a terrific day.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 18:40, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-01 17:22, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's what happens when the fire of rumour is fed by the fuel of gossip. The truth gets distorted.

Just like all the negative rumours about FISM perpetuated by the few, believed by the many.

1st of all if what World Magic said on one of its own DVD's is incorrect
Then they should apologise

The rest of my remarks stand I personally consider this was the worse
convention I have ever attended within the last 10 years

To Jamie and all the members of the Derick Leaver Fan Club
Let me ask you two questions

1 Do you really consider the FISM Gala Show was world class ?

2 Do you honestly consider Derick Limited Edition book worth 150 Pounds/ 230 USD

(The cost of this was added to the overall cost of the convention)

Remember this convention was 900USD

Personally anyone that thinks this was good value
has got more money than sense !
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Sorry Jackmagic, but you lost all credibility when you claimed Roy Roth had passed away.

It shows that you listen to rumour and spread gossip. So who's to believe anything else you've got to say?

BTW, who is "Derick Leaver"?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » FISM was it as bad as the on line reports ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL