The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Dark Knight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
A very cool article with some funny stuff: How the Dark Knight Became Dark Again

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment......59923/1/

After Michael Uslan succeeded in pitching a course on comic books as modern day mythology he then "took the news to United Press International, the wire service based in Indianapolis. Pretending to be an offended citizen, he asked to speak with the education beat reporter. "I hear there's a course on comic books being taught at Indiana University," he said. "This is outrageous! Are you telling me as a taxpayer that my money is going to teach our kids comic books?! It must be some Communist plot to subvert the youth of America!" "

Now that guy understood marketing!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
How much money did how many students borrow in order to take courses on comic books and find good jobs as what?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If I were taking a major in economics or engineering, a minor in comic books might be fun.
If I were taking a major in comic books... well, I'm deluding myself.

Getting back to "The Dark Knight," have you seen where Rush Limbaugh is claiming that the character Bain is being used deliberately to smear Mitt Romney since he used to be CEO of a corporation called Bain Capital?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 05:42, ed rhodes wrote:
Getting back to "The Dark Knight," have you seen where Rush Limbaugh is claiming that the character Bain is being used deliberately to smear Mitt Romney since he used to be CEO of a corporation called Bain Capital?

Rush Limbaugh gives too much credit to the Democrats. Even if Bane were spelt "Bain", the Democrats couldn't have planned something so elaborate; does he really think that they'd have had another Batman movie ready to go if Newt Gingrich were the presumptive candidate?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 08:29, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 05:42, ed rhodes wrote:

Rush Limbaugh gives too much credit to the Democrats. Even if Bane were spelt "Bain", the Democrats couldn't have planned something so elaborate; does he really think that they'd have had another Batman movie ready to go if Newt Gingrich were the presumptive candidate?

It's beyond laughable. Besides, the script was written, what, three years ago now?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's not what Rush said. He said that the homonyms would be used in that fashion, not that the name "Bane" ahd been created for that purpose. And Jon Stewart is in fact already playing that angle:

http://www.freep.com/article/20120718/NE......RONTPAGE

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201......al-firm/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 09:47, Woland wrote:

That's not what Rush said. He said that the homonyms would be used in that fashion, not that the name "Bane" ahd been created for that purpose.

Rush went further than that. Rush said:

RUSH: Have you heard this new movie, the Batman movie, what is it, The Dark Knight Lights Up or whatever the name is. That's right, Dark Knight Rises. Lights Up, same thing. Do you know the name of the villain in this movie? Bane. The villain in The Dark Knight Rises is named Bane, B-a-n-e. What is the name of the venture capital firm that Romney ran and around which there's now this make-believe controversy? Bain. The movie has been in the works for a long time. The release date's been known, summer 2012 for a long time. Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire breathing four eyed whatever it is villain in this movie is named Bane?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Um . . . as I said: too much credit.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Balducci, context and tone are everything. He doesn't think the character was created to attack Romney. He expects the left to use that angle. He thinks dopes that 'think' Bane would equal Bain are the same dopes that the left will push this too.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 05:37, Woland wrote:
How much money did how many students borrow in order to take courses on comic books and find good jobs as what?

OK Woland, I don't normally disagree with you but I'm going to on this one. I believe it's one subject. How would taking this subject be different than taking a subject on Greek Mythology?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-19 09:59, rockwall wrote:
Balducci, context and tone are everything. He doesn't think the character was created to attack Romney. He expects the left to use that angle. He thinks dopes that 'think' Bane would equal Bain are the same dopes that the left will push this too.

Give me a break. His tone and the context when he said the lines "The movie has been in the works for a long time. The release date's been known, summer 2012 for a long time. Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire breathing four eyed whatever it is villain in this movie is named Bane?" were serious.

Yes, he went on and said other stuff like what you are Woland suggest but he ALSO said in all seriousness what I quoted above.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You can hear Rush in his own words and tone here at the 1:00 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYiR0-JEKk
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
OK Woland, I don't normally disagree with you but I'm going to on this one. I believe it's one subject. How would taking this subject be different than taking a subject on Greek Mythology?

Not to quibble, but I said "courses." I was thinking of some of the "majors" that some college students "major" in.

As John Leo put it yesterday:

Quote:
Bureau of Labor Statistics data show that as many as one out of three college graduates today are in jobs that previously or historically have been filled by people with lesser educations or none. The U.S. now has 115,000 janitors with college degrees, along with 83,000 bartenders, 80,000 heavy-duty truck drivers, and 323,000 waiters and waitresses.

Employers, because they realize that many college graduates aren’t really educated, now routinely quiz job seekers on what they majored in and what courses they took, a practice virtually unknown a generation ago. Good luck if you majored in gender studies, communications, art history, pop culture, or (really) the history of dancing in Montana in the 1850s.

Current and former collegians now owe more than $1 trillion in student loans—and only 26 percent of the debtors are currently paying anything back, down from 38 percent five years ago. (These loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, a reform imposed to stymie borrowers who would graduate and promptly file for bankruptcy.)

The cost of college rose 440 percent between 1982 and 2007, compared with cost of living increases of 106 percent and family income growth of 147 percent over the same period. The Sallie Mae report indicates that even students from high-income families are taking out student loans—27 percent used federal loans in 2012, up from 19 percent last year.

But of course you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
He's not a very compelling speaker is he? I was quite surprised when I watched that, and for someone who kept nagging about the brain dead he did seem to be suggesting a quite silly premise, in addition to constantly replaying a quote totally out of context.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
3 hours a day, 5 days a week, for several decades - you can't be brilliant all the time.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"He expects the left to use that angle."

It seems to me the HE decided to use that angle, not the so called "left"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Actually, the first appearance of this "meme" (sorry, critter) was by a Democratic Party strategist, Christopher Lehane, as quoted in the Washington Examiner:

Quote:
It has been observed that movies can reflect the national mood. Whether it is spelled Bain and being put out by the Obama campaign or Bane and being put out by Hollywood, the narratives are similar: A highly intelligent villain with offshore interests and a past . . . who had a powerful father and is set on pillaging society.

But, as others have been pointing out, Mitt Romney resembles Bruce Wayne much more than he resembles Bane.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
What others? Ann Romney?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm not sure who pointed that out about Romney but I DO know that one of the creators of Bane said that Bane resembles Occuply Wall Street much more than he does Romney, despite what the Democratic strategists will want thier evil minions to think. "Evil minions", wow, I'm really getting into the comic book mood!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Kapow!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Dark Knight (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL