The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What would you perform on AGT ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonathan hawley magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jonathan hawley magic
If you was to go on AGT what would you perform knowing what has already been on the show?
jonathan hawley magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jonathan hawley magic
Do you think there is any hope for magic on this show after this season ?
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Let it go ... a singer is going to win the competition! They don't want to sell magic kits .. they want to sell music!

Steve
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Funny dance routine with an animal. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2012-07-20 01:19, Chezaday wrote:
Let it go ... a singer is going to win the competition! They don't want to sell magic kits .. they want to sell music!

Steve

Yup. The bold truth is that record sales and concert tours are going to draw more than a magician will. I'm with you Steve. Let it go!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I wouldnt let it go, I think that's horrible advice. Granted, any magician who thinks they could win the show is setting themselves up for a let down, but I wouldn't let that deter anyone from getting the chance to perform on the show. If you are smart about it, the benefits from appearing on that show are exponential....even if you don't make it that far. My list of clients went from local businesses to fortune 500 companies almost overnight. You had a great showing Jonathan, and this will be a great addition to your resume and promo reel.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
314 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I agree with WS,just appearing on the Show would be an enormous boost for any Magician.As for the Act,...probably a Magic And Comedy Routine would be my choice.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
There is plenty of material that has yet to be presented on AGT. Can most of it be presented effectively in 90 seconds? Of course not. But then there is little that can be properly executed in the miserly time alloted to the performer.

This is the reason why most magic on AGT has devolved into the box of the week category of "entertainment". The magician's have become interchangeable and all the audience remembers is the strange looking box that got wheeled about.

The producers aren't untested in the performance anyway. I was recently told what they were looking for and Good Looks, compelling back story were at the top of the list. Talent was number five.

You couldn't pay me enough to be on this show. Well actually you could. But it would have to be in the high six figures. But since there is nothing in my act that I could cut down enough to get it under the time limitations I don't have to worry about it.

I would go on Penn and Teller's Fool Us in a heart beat. At least there you get to do your whole act.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2012-07-20 11:18, w_s_anderson wrote:
I wouldnt let it go, I think that's horrible advice. Granted, any magician who thinks they could win the show is setting themselves up for a let down, but I wouldn't let that deter anyone from getting the chance to perform on the show. If you are smart about it, the benefits from appearing on that show are exponential....even if you don't make it that far. My list of clients went from local businesses to fortune 500 companies almost overnight. You had a great showing Jonathan, and this will be a great addition to your resume and promo reel.

I agree with you 100%. It's a fantastic opportunity for exposure, absolutely. I just don't think a magician will win for financial reasons...but again that shouldn't be a reason not to enter and give it your all. It's great press!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22174 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If I were to attempt to appear on AGT, I would look at the older illusions and try to come up with a new design for them. I think the comment that cuts the worst, is when the 1st thing the judges say, I have seen that before. I think that comment is a killer. Also I would look for an Illusion that would let the magician show some of his personality over a box and some female models. So the box trick is really more of an instant effect and the magician is centered more as the performance piece. Just my opinion.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I agree with Bill. There has been nothing that has been shown by the magicians that hasn't been in Vegas. Why bring an illusion catalog item? Unless magi's quit fooling themselves into thinking something they bought will win, we won't have a magic act on.
I think Kevin James had the best shot but even he wouldn't sustain a show.

So I say go back in time with the illusions, or invent something. Otherwise, enjoy the exposure, but no prizes.

Now if some of the Oriental manipulation acts came on, at least they could sustain a round or two.
Just my take on it.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What would you perform on AGT ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL