The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » A new way to buy magic and save money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I've found a way to save a lot of money when buying magic. Here's the skinny.....

Last month I ordered the latest and greatest from a 'reputable' dealer who took two weeks to post the trick even though I paid for next day delivery.

When I posted about it here on the Café I was met with 'we can't find your name on the database so you must be lying, we always deliver' etc etc.

So I decided to try a new approach.

At work, as a production manager, I often put projects out to 3 companies to get their proposal and best price. I decided to apply the same approach to buying magic.

I sent an email to three well known dealers (all on the same email). I listed the four things I wanted to buy and a date by which I wanted them delivered by. I gave the dealers 24 hours to respond with their best prince including p&p. I couldn't believe it, I received a price 25% less than the total asking price on any of the sites.

I tried this approach for two further orders and saved at least 20% every time. One of the orders did arrive late as it wasn't posted same day as promised so I wrote to that dealer and told them I wouldn't be giving them my business any more.

I was going to keep all of this to myself but decided to share it on the Café. I believe if others try this it will result in a win/win/win situation. The best dealers will win more business, the substandard dealers will need to raise their game and the customer receives a better price and service as a result.

I have calculated I will save £200 - £300 a year by taking this approach.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I see by the Pound note you are in England and assume you dealt with English suppliers.
I have sent inquiries to Tannens several months ago and am still waiting a reply from them.
Abbotts and Fab Magic in Colon I get instant replies AND SERVICE.
I ordered and paid for something from a guy in Arizona that was listed on his web site only to learn a two weeks later the product was no longer in stock (he was on vacation). (if its not in stock take it off your website, stupid)
I ordered a catalog ($15) from Hank Lee and got it by UPS the next week (thats Mass. to Texas by ground).
I ordered catalogs from Morris that took almost two months to get to me. (and I paid for them)
I asked about catalogs from Penguin, they took my address and the next week I got a box with a free sample close up mat and a DVD catalog.
Some people want your business and will do the unexpected while others could give a rats a*s. Guess who I buy stuff from?
Your mileage may vary.
Illuminate . White Label
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Illuminate . White Label
In this day and age where its "relatively easy" to set up an online magic shop and with growing competition, it should not be too difficult getting a discount on regular-priced purchases.

Taking the cue from other industries where retailers are given a 50-70% discount off MSRP... that gives you an idea of how much you could possibly squeeze, especially if you have relatively large orders going.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Today I managed to get my total order down from £135 to £98 by using the approach in my first post (the order consisted of 3 recently released DVDs, two packet tricks, a coin gaff and a book released in 2012).

...the deal was from one of the UKs most well known dealers where I've always paid full price in the past.

Try it guys, it works! Getting the dealers to compete head on for your business is brilliant.

I'm kicking myself for not buying like this in the past.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Great, thanks for the heads up.....
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I love it, just don't tell anyone else!
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
It will be our secret !
bigcheese
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
56 Posts

Profile of bigcheese
If the UK sites are offering better results it may be worth checking if they deliver overseas. So long as the postage comes in under the savings you're still ahead, right?
miltos
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of miltos
I will try it soon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » A new way to buy magic and save money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL