The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My first job at a bar/restaurant! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
Hey everyone,
I've finally landed a job at a local restaurant/bar and am really pumped up about it all. I have been talking to a lot of magic-related friends about it and thought
"Why not post it on the Magic Cafe for some input?"

I was just wondering about any interesting first time, or anytime stories about restaurant jobs. Also, any general observations or quick advice. I know I'm not being very specific here, but a lot of my questions have already been covered, so I didn't want to be repetitive.

Lastly, I would like to hear some favorite tricks, maybe a top five, used in your restaurant magic.

If I'm asking something that has already been asked, tell me and I'll read the forum again.
Thanks a lot everyone! In advance.

Andrew
Smile
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Hi, congrats on landing your first gig. Smile

Great Scott had some advice awhile ago which I still remember for some reason (probably because it was good advice?)

Try to set up your routines so that you can end them anytime, since you never know when the food is coming.

Good luck and have fun. Smile
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
After 10 years of bar and table work,
I offer the following advice:
Don't open with a card trick -- ever!
You're there to entertain the customers, not punish them! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Well, I don't agree with Peter's thoughts on the opener, but I can see where he is coming from. A lot of card tricks are too lengthy to be used as openers.

I use cards a lot and I am quite convinced I am not punishing my audience. Smile Smile

Paul Hallas.
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Hello Armagic!!

Mr. Marucci is correct in stating 'Never open with a card effect'. Primarily, you want to open with an effect which establishes you as a magician, but doesn't rely too much on the 'intamacy' of your surroundings. After all, you've never met these people yet.

I usually begin my first effect with my routining of SILVER, COPPER, BRASS. This lets the guests know that I am a magician, therefore their entertainment. I only perform 2 card effects at any given table, and end my little show with those.

As Suffer mentioned, your routines and effects need to be developed so that you can end at any given moment. I usually spend no more than 10 min. at each table (unless otherwise requested).

I would have to say that my 'Top 5 Effects' are:

1) Sponge Ball routine
2) Silver, Copper, Brass
3) Feather Thru Quarter (gets best reactions)
4) Mis-made Bill or Torn-N-Restored Bill
5) Standing TRIUMPH routine

Congrats on landing your first restaurant gig!! You'll have an amazing amount of fun.. and so will the guests! Smile

Break A Leg!!
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Okay, Paul; maybe "punish" was too strong a word.
Maybe it was even unnecessary.
But the advice still stands: Don't open with a card trick.
First, almost everybody knows at least one card trick (sort of) and you are leaving the door open for them to say: "Hey, I know a trick; let me see those cards," or something like that.
Second, almost everybody knows someone who can do one or two tricks really badly and you don't want to have to overcome that before you've even started.
Third, as Paul says, too many card tricks tend to go on too long. ANY trick that goes on too long shouldn't be used as an opener.
There's probably a lot more reasons but those should do.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
Thanks everyone. It all helps a lot. I would welcome any other advice that can be given.

Andrew
Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
A few points:

1) I agree with Peter, don't open with a card trick.

2) Rehearse an opening line that lets the customer know who you are (magician), why you're there (to entertain) and that it's complimentary.

3) Learn stuff that can be done in the spectators hands. For example, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Sponge Balls, Daley's Last Trick etc.

4) Your effects must reset quickly, 5-10 seconds at the most.

5) Dress in a jacket and tie so you look professional.

6) Always put things in the same pocket, each and everytime. Develop a routine to set up and break down. That way you'll know what you have and what your missing.

7) You will screw up, learn to deal with it. Most times the audience won't know it, so just go with the flow and act like that was exactly how it was supposed to work. Also, know where an effect is likely to go wrong and rehearse your outs.

8) Don't be afraid to use the edge of the table, but always politely ask. Others may disagree and that's their perogative. I've never had a problem with it. Your mileage may vary. Smile

9) Smile! Smile Your job is fun and it should seem that way to your audience.

10) Don't take any c**p. If someone heckles you or gives you a hard time, smile, thank them for their time and move on. Life's too short. Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
Thanks Kaliix. Points well taken! Thanks everyone.
Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kaliix's post is a short course in table hopping.
And excellent advice, too.
Every point is a valid one and just about everything is covered.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I wonder what Chan Canasta would do ?

Smile

E-Leoni.
Todd
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Todd
I've heard sponge balls are the best for table hopping. Anyone know of a good video that helps with it. I already have 25 tricks with sponge balls but think the tape is poorly made.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Todd,
Sponge tricks are excellent for table hopping.
But a word of warning: Don't use balls.
I use sponge rabbits from a trick sold by Tannen's called Rabbit Explosion (the trick sucks but the rabbits -- about 40 -- are charistmatic).
Or use cubes. Or anything that won't roll off the table.
Otherwise, you end up with -- well, your end up, as you crawl around on the floor looking for the ball that went rolling off the table.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com Smile Smile Smile Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
As I'm primarily a juggler, I don't do a huge amount in the way of table/restaurant performing. Having a machete landing in your lap doesn't really please many customers! But, I have done some medieval banquet performing and have the following tip - take loads of business cards and leave them with the Maitre D. When you do well - which you will - customers will inevitably ask the restaurant staff about you, so it is handy for them to have your card to pass out.

Slainte

ML

Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Quote:
On 2002-05-15 18:37, Todd wrote:
I've heard sponge balls are the best for table hopping. Anyone know of a good video that helps with it. I already have 25 tricks with sponge balls but think the tape is poorly made.

I have that tape and Brad Burts sponge ball tape (not worth the money). I think you are dismissing the 25 tricks with a sponge ball tape much too quickly. It has a good set of basic sponge ball vanishes and appearances in there. I still use the basic routine that's on the tape, with my own patter and giant sponge ending.

Patrick Page also has a sponge ball tape out I believe.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
The Patrick Page video is excellent. Also includes a Benson bowl routine that you can adapt using a coffee cup..

paul
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
Great advice on the business cards, Missing Link!

A good friend of mine (M.P.D. in this forum, no less) used to walk around doing Hummer Card (or UFO, or whatever other names it has aquired over time) before he performed. For those unfamiliar, it is a floating, spinning card or credit card. He would walk around making it float, go around his body, etc.

This established him as two things right away;
1) a magician;
2) a magician who is good enough to make objects float.

After doing this for a little while, there was no need to explain who he is when approaching tables. Also, it perked people's interest and made them WANT to see his magic.

Just something interesting for a restaurant worker to consider.
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
Nice idea Garret. I never knew (from the ads I've seen that the U.F.O. was so free, ie: being able to move it around your body.
Thanks
Andrew
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
My top 5 effects

My version of "Here and There" from the Annemann card book
The Ambitious card
Torn and Restored card
Reverse Matrix
3 Chinese coins off ribbon, preceeded by Daryl's "Elbow, Knee & Neck."

If you're working at a family restaurant learn kids' tricks that are still strong enough to fool adults. I'm a believer in give-aways for kids. My motto is "No kid leaves empty handed." I have tricks that end with an item in play, such as a sticker, being given to the child. This is fun, creates good will, causes kids to be fired up about seeing you and therefore dragging their parents in, and it also increases your perceived value to your boss and customers.

Dress well and wear a name tag.

Get on the good side of your fellow employees. See Jim Sisti for killer advice along these lines.

If you're looking for a great sponge ball routine, see Scott Guinn's "Peanut, Butter, and Jelly." It ends strong, has funny lines, and automatically resets. I have seen Scott do this both up-close and on stage, and it plays very well.
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I am not sure if this has been said yet or not, but I always finished with either a floating bill, or mis-led, or something using a borrowed bill. Try to borrow a ten or a twenty, and 90% of the time they would tell me to just keep it.
When I began to close with borrowed money routines, my tips went from 100 dollars a night to 200 - 250 every single night.

Never open by borrowing money though, the trust isn't established yet. Unless it's repeat business.

I had people bring their friends back a night or two later and literally throw a twenty at me right off the bat, and say "here... make that float for him". I usually end up keeping that 20, as well as getting tipped at the end Smile

Why the heck did I ever leave this profession in the first place?
Smile
Jay Buchanan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » My first job at a bar/restaurant! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL