The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No minute's silence for the Israeli victims of the 1972 Munich massacre at the opening ceremony. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
LONDON -- International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge won't budge: There will be no minute's silence for the Israeli victims of the 1972 Munich massacre at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

Not sure how controversial this really is. I know several world leaders and others have called for the minute of silence, but I tend to agree with the IOC on this one. Obviously a rememberance is warranted and there will be a lot of talk about it, but I'm not sure the opening ceremony is the time or place. That's usually more of a joyous event.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/......ch-games
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is the 40th anniversary so I think it is proper. I would think if it was any other country there would be no question.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Wha?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 15:04, MagicSanta wrote:
It is the 40th anniversary so I think it is proper. I would think if it was any other country there would be no question.


+ 1
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Make that 2.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 15:04, MagicSanta wrote:
It is the 40th anniversary so I think it is proper. I would think if it was any other country there would be no question.


You maybe right. I was trying to think if anything similar had been done in the past. I took the IOC's word that there was a policy of some sort against this kind of thing. (That was pretty stupid in retrospect because the IOC has always been kind of a shady/dirty outfit).

In fact, there was a minute of silence to open the 2002 games to commerate 9/11, and that event wasn't even directly related to the Olympics. So now it seems like a no brainer to me and I'm puzzled by the decision.

Do you think it's more of a snub to Isreal itself, this modern day fear/super sensitivity of offending Muslims, or some combo of both?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This is sort of surprising, but I guess they figure that countries opposed to Israel could disrupt the moment and nullify the observance. Personally, I think it would be appropriate.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 16:35, ClintonMagus wrote:
This is sort of surprising, but I guess they figure that countries opposed to Israel could disrupt the moment and nullify the observance.


From what I'm seeing that does indeed seem to be a factor in the decision. It's also, in my opinion, one of the worst possible reasons for not doing it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes it is a snub.

I'll tell you how some countries are to Israel. Sales contracts of, say, oil equipment to Saudi Arabia will have a statement burried in the contract or letter of credet stating 'veder will not conduct business with Israel'. Many companies ignore it but if that verbage exist it is in violation of US Anti Embargo laws and legit companies strike the phrase. I have no doubt Muslim countries have demanded no reference be made. Absolutely Saudi's insisted.

They should give special hats to everyone and at the end of the opening have an arial shot show a giant star of David featuring the middle eastern countries.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Well that's bogus.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 16:35, ClintonMagus wrote:
Personally, I think it would be appropriate.


... to have the moment of silence, I mean...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 15:55, Marlin1894 wrote:

In fact, there was a minute of silence to open the 2002 games to commerate 9/11, and that event wasn't even directly related to the Olympics. So now it seems like a no brainer to me and I'm puzzled by the decision.

Are you certain about that? There was a commemoration, but I am not so sure about there being a moment of silence:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2002-02-......athletes
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OHHH fact check it. How about if he just says it was recognised and we move on ok?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Sorry, Danny. I always forget that you are allergic to facts.

If as you say it is enough to say that 9/11 was recognized, then note that the Munich massacre HAS ALSO been recognized by the Olympics before. Not with a moment of silence at the Opening ceremony, but in other ways at different times, including at a closing ceremony.

The way some people were talking, I had the impression some here thought the IOC has always refused to make any commemoration for Munich. It hasn't, and it has held commemorations in the past.

There was another commemoration today:

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/lond......0723.htm
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I typed in something like "olympics moment of silence" and I came across a site that mentioned "a moment of silence" in 2002. It used that phrase. Since I wasn't really out to prove anything to anyone, just trying to find out for myself, I didn't really dig any further. I suppose I could find the website again if you think I made it up or something.

As I said before I'm not even sure it would be a good idea, it might be kind of a downer, and if there is no precedent I can't accuse the IOC of hypocrisy. Although, it is pretty clear there have been commerations of other tragic events in both the opening and closing ceremonies in the past.

I did glean by looking around that there was no moment of silence in 1992, which would have been the 20th anniversary of Munich, and I don't remember this kind of controversy.

I do have to say also that I didn't notice, based on "the way some people were talking, any suggestion in this thread that the IOC had always refused to acknowledge the event. Nor did I see Dannydoyle denying any facts. I think he was agreeing with you that there was no "moment of silence". I'm the one who put out the bad facts.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Marlin1894, I don't think you made anything up, but based on what I've read I do think you were in error saying that there was a minute of silence to open the 2002 games to commemorate 9/11. There was a commemoration, but I am not so sure about the silence. The only reason I addressed that at all, is because you used that to suggest that the IOC was going against its own policy etc. I do not believe that was the case, at least not in that instance.

Note, apparently there was a minute of silence at the 2010 games:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012......assacre/

for the Georgian luge competitor who had died during a training accident.

BTW, I have nothing against a minute of silence to commemorate Munich.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16142 Posts

Profile of tommy
After the games we can carry on killing each other but killing people at the Olympics! well it's just not cricket. I do think we should have a minutes silence there always, to remind us we should keep to the code.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 19:25, balducci wrote:
Sorry, Danny. I always forget that you are allergic to facts.

If as you say it is enough to say that 9/11 was recognized, then note that the Munich massacre HAS ALSO been recognized by the Olympics before. Not with a moment of silence at the Opening ceremony, but in other ways at different times, including at a closing ceremony.

The way some people were talking, I had the impression some here thought the IOC has always refused to make any commemoration for Munich. It hasn't, and it has held commemorations in the past.

There was another commemoration today:

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/lond......0723.htm


My distaste is for you constantly parsing words and spinning facts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-23 21:18, balducci wrote:
Marlin1894, I don't think you made anything up, but based on what I've read I do think you were in error saying that there was a minute of silence


Yes!! I know, I was wrong. I said so in my last post. You are correct, there was no moment of silence at the 2002 Olympics. I was explaining how I came to believe that there was. I looked at one story that used the term and went with that, but I was wrong. You were correct when you said thre was some sort of commemoration but not a moment of silence. I was in error. I was wrong.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16142 Posts

Profile of tommy
So you have changed your mind about the minutes silence then?

:)

By the way, covert Israeli assassination units murdred dozens of people aound the world in revange for Munich and it continued for more than 20 years after, it was called operation Wrath of God. Not to mention what they was up to before.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No minute's silence for the Israeli victims of the 1972 Munich massacre at the opening ceremony. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL