The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good bye Sally RIde (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
[quote]On 2012-07-25 23:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
But they're not JUST trying to make money.

What, then? Some have more long term plans than others, but money is the end game.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
All women in space:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24......=1268089

Some look so tiny with those huge suits on... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 14:43, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 09:10, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 23:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-24 23:11, ed rhodes wrote:
We didn't know Sally Ride's orientation because she knew that would be the surest way to kill her career.

Source?

My lack of faith in human nature. Or maybe you can show me someone in a military position who's been an openly gay person without repercussions.

I can show you a quotation from a sister saying that she was an intensely private person, and attributing it to her heritage and culture.

I don't think the quote you had in mind was solely attributing it to her heritage and culture (at least not if it is the one I saw) ... I think rather the statement was saying more that her decision not to be public about it was influenced by and consistent with her heritage and culture.

And in any case perhaps you are both partially correct. Excerpts from some recent articles below:

http://prospect.org/article/rip-sally-ride

Diane Anderson-Minshall, now the executive editor of The Advocate ... emailed:

We had heard eons ago that she left her husband for another woman but could never get her to talk to the lesbian press (this was when I was back at Girlfriends still) but part of that was because NASA wouldn't have allowed any openly lesbian staff at the time. I remember interviewing another lesbian who worked for NASA at the same time and after she got caught in a gay bar raid she was kicked out and couldn't do any work with security clearance.

Ah, yes, the federal policy against giving security clearances to homos was still in place. So there was good reason to keep it quiet—in addition to what appears to have been her natural reticence.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sally-r......heroine/

Ride’s astronaut career took place in an era when being homosexual automatically disqualified a person for a US Government security clearance. Coming out as gay, then, “would have disqualified her for NASA, of course, but it also would have limited her as a role model for most girls.”
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On 2012-07-26 06:35, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 23:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

What, then? Some have more long term plans than others, but money is the end game.

Shaping the country and/or the world.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
[quote]On 2012-07-26 11:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 06:35, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

To ensure continuing profit.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 11:17, Marlin1894 wrote:

Guess we can make a similar comment about Jackie Robinson.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

I don't think the quote you had in mind was solely attributing it to her heritage and culture (at least not if it is the one I saw) ... I think rather the statement was saying more that her decision not to be public about it was influenced by and consistent with her heritage and culture.

And in any case perhaps you are both partially correct. Excerpts from some recent articles below:

http://prospect.org/article/rip-sally-ride

Diane Anderson-Minshall, now the executive editor of The Advocate ... emailed:

We had heard eons ago that she left her husband for another woman but could never get her to talk to the lesbian press (this was when I was back at Girlfriends still) but part of that was because NASA wouldn't have allowed any openly lesbian staff at the time. I remember interviewing another lesbian who worked for NASA at the same time and after she got caught in a gay bar raid she was kicked out and couldn't do any work with security clearance.

Ah, yes, the federal policy against giving security clearances to homos was still in place. So there was good reason to keep it quiet—in addition to what appears to have been her natural reticence.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sally-r......heroine/

Ride’s astronaut career took place in an era when being homosexual automatically disqualified a person for a US Government security clearance. Coming out as gay, then, “would have disqualified her for NASA, of course, but it also would have limited her as a role model for most girls.”

Thank you b.

That poster should read; 'Finally being allowed to go where tons of men have already gone.'

I understand several women tried out for the Mercury program. They actually out-performed the men in several areas. But in the end it was decided that women shouldn't go into space. [I wish one of those women had been taken along as a passenger instead of John Glen.]
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
[quote]On 2012-07-26 12:02, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 11:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 06:35, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

To ensure continuing profit.

Not at all. People have other motivations.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Where did that overtly sexist poster come from? The he-man women haters club?

Talk about minimizing someones accomplishments because of her sex.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 16:34, mastermindreader wrote:
Where did that overtly sexist poster come from? The he-man women haters club?

Talk about minimizing someones accomplishments because of her sex.

Heh! I'm old and know where the He-man Women Haters Club comes from. Otay!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Otay!!

Here's a clip of one of their official meetings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMQ
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'd also like to go on the record as stating that I don't believe people should be forced out of the closet.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This thread has gone all over the place. I just want to say that Sally Ride was an inspirational woman, and I am sad to learn that she passed away so young. My sympathy to her partner, and to her friends and family.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 14:45, TonyB2009 wrote:
This thread has gone all over the place. I just want to say that Sally Ride was an inspirational woman, and I am sad to learn that she passed away so young. My sympathy to her partner, and to her friends and family.

Since I rarely get the opportunity to this...

I fully agree with you, TonyB.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Seconded, any objections/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
...If there are no objections, the motion passes. Sally Ride was an awesome woman and a major role model in many ways.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good bye Sally RIde (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL