The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever Been to the Olympics? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The closest I came was for the 1976 Summer Olympics when you had to "snail mail" ticket requests in and wait on a reply. My dad and I got tickets to every single event we requested - Baseball, basketball semis and finals, women's gymnastics, swimming finals, and both opening and closing ceremonies. He got the flu the day we were supposed to leave, so we didn't make it. I still have the tickets somewhere that I probably need to offer on eBay.

The closest we came after that was attending the 2008 gymnastics trials in Philadelphia.

I do know all three 2012 USA men's pole vaulters and one of the women's pole vaulters, though, so that is pretty cool.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Would like to, but the closest brushes with it were:

1) Saw the torch come through B'ham on the way to 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics

2) The Atlanta bomber also blew up an abortion clinic in B'ham, killing a police officer who is buried next to my in-laws.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I did see the Atlanta torch train. It was particularly cool, especially since it came through around midnight. There were probably 200 people at our crossing.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I saw a torch run past. I went to a soccer game at Stanford (they have a new smaller stadium now) but I don't remember if it was LA olympics or world cup. I think worldcup.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I went to one of the two boxing finals days in Los Angeles in '84. It was a very good year for American boxers; I saw many future professional world champions win their gold medals, including Mark Breland (one of the greatest amateur boxers ever), Meldrick Taylor, and Pernell Whitaker (one of the greatest professional boxers ever).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I've never been to a sporting event so I have little reason in going to the Olympics.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I saw archery at the 84 games in LA. Saw the torch run by.
Life of Magic!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 14:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I went to one of the two boxing finals days in Los Angeles in '84. It was a very good year for American boxers; I saw many future professional world champions win their gold medals, including Mark Breland (one of the greatest amateur boxers ever), Meldrick Taylor, and Pernell Whitaker (one of the greatest professional boxers ever).

Whitaker was a great fighter,three,maybe four different weight divisions champion.I'm sure he's coaching,as well as doing the pundit
work.
My mrs saw the torch go by in Nottingham this year,during a break at work.I was,as usual,working somewhere where naff all was happening.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I worked the 84 Olympics...rigged up a wearable stage front and covered it in balloons. I was a black-art balloon person (balloon body, legs and arms, human head) and did walkaround doing balloon animals for the duration. At that time, I blew up the 260's by lungpower, and would blow up 500 or more a day.

A great many of the tourists had never seen balloon animals before, so it was a total hoot. I taught other entertainers the basics. I was lucky to get the job...the lady hiring the entertainment had worked at 6-Flags when I worked there, so I had an in...but really had to guard the name so others wouldn't bug her to get hired.

Walking to the venues, buddy Ernie and I would count out the police snipers laying on the rooftops, ready, just in case. Too much fun.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Good column by Dave Barry

Dave Barry: Some tips when visiting London

LONDON -- Perhaps you’ve been watching the Olympics on NBC, and you’ve decided that you’d like to “pop across the pond” to see the games in person. I have good news and bad news for you:

• The good news is, London is a great city to visit.
• The bad news is, the Olympics ended three days ago.

No, that’s a cheap joke about NBC’s delayed broadcasts. I promise not to make any more unless I think of one.
But London truly is a great city. You’ll love it here, provided that you are not killed instantly (see “crossing the street”). Here’s some helpful information for your visit:

WHAT TO PACK: London weather can change quickly from hot and sunny to cold and rainy. And that’s inside your hotel room. Outside, it’s even less predictable. The TV weather people here openly take drugs on the air. So you should pack a wide range of clothing; that way, no matter what kind of day it is, you’ll be able to put on an outfit that will be totally inappropriate minutes after you leave the hotel.

HOW MUCH MONEY TO BRING: A lot. London is expensive. They use the “pound,” with one dollar equaling (as of this morning) 0.642962772 pounds, which means that you, as an American who last paid serious attention to decimals in sixth grade, will have no earthly idea what anything actually costs. Also you will develop American Tipping Anxiety Disease (ATAD), which is this nagging insecure feeling that you should be tipping people, although you’re never sure whom, or how much. Europeans are immune to this disease. As far as I can see, they never tip anybody. Whereas anxious Americans are constantly handing random sums to waiters, police officers, nuns, sheep, etc. This is the foundation of the European economy.

WHERE TO STAY IN LONDON: You should stay in a central location, defined as “a location where you will never have to cross a street.”

CROSSING THE STREET: Do not cross the street. I cannot emphasize this enough without resorting to italics: Never attempt to cross a street in London. Over here they drive on the left side, which means that you, as an American, never look in the correct direction, even though there are warnings painted on the streets saying “LOOK RIGHT” and “LOOK LEFT” and sometimes: “YOU ARE LOOKING THE WRONG WAY, IDIOT AMERICAN.”
But here’s the thing: No matter which way you look, the instant you step out onto the street there will be a car bearing down on you from the other direction. Even if you look in both directions, swiveling your head rapidly back and forth like a hyperactive lawn sprinkler, you will fail to see a car hurtling at you from some previously unnoticed third direction, or even a fourth direction, or even the future. London intersections do not obey the normal laws of the space-time continuum.

TAXIS: London taxis are excellent, but expensive. Because of the complex London street system, you can never go anywhere directly; no matter what your destination, you will make many turns and pass the Tower of London at least three times, and your fare will be 27 pounds (or $1,487, including tip).

THE UNDERGROUND: The London Underground was built by the Romans in 410 A.D. to keep the Picts from being able to invade the city without having to change trains at least three times. It is an efficient way to get around when the lines are all working (April 3 through 6, 1954).

GETTING OLYMPIC TICKETS: This is tricky. At first the Olympic organizers said there were no tickets left, but a big scandal erupted when the Brits saw lots of empty seats on TV. The organizers then scrambled to get tickets to the public, and even started filling empty seats with British Army troops. So your best bet, when you get over here, is to join the British Army, and they might order you to watch an Olympic event. Of course they also might send you to Afghanistan. But at least over there you can probably cross the street.

MEETING THE QUEEN: The Queen welcomes visiting American tourists. You can meet her by going to Buckingham Palace any weekday between 9 and 4:30 and pounding on the front door with your fist in polite yet firm manner. Don’t forget to give the Queen a tip.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
WHAT TO PACK: London weather can change quickly from hot and sunny to cold and rainy. And that’s inside your hotel room. Outside, it’s even less predictable. The TV weather people here openly take drugs on the air. So you should pack a wide range of clothing; that way, no matter what kind of day it is, you’ll be able to put on an outfit that will be totally inappropriate minutes after you leave the hotel.

So it's just like Spokane in that regard.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
From 1985- to July 1988, I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, Wa. In 1988, I and some friends went tot the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Saw the Olympics in Montreal back in 1976. Montreal was a city where I basically had a second family. (not related, but may as well have been, we were very close) I had been to Montreal many times for that reason, so going in 1976 was no big deal. Except the security in the streets and airport was way beefed up. I got to see Iran vs. u.s.s.r. in water polo. It was fun.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Man, I wish I could have seen the boxing finals in '76.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ever Been to the Olympics? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL