We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist vs. Reader vs. Mystery Entertainer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
It also gives you the ability to have a "power" over some ones mind. That power alone is a very fulfilling thing. A director Ted Wallaach, once said to my firend Devonte, that being a performer is a very selfish thing. You gt into for yourself, then learn to give to others with it. But for the most part its about yourself, your skill, being famous, making money and etc... Power is also one of the keys to life (see Anthony Robbins Ted Talk). It in many ways is something we all want, wether we admit it or not. Power comes in different forms, so pplease be open minded.

I think mentalism allows you to have a power over someone, getting in their mind, hypnitism and etc. Where magic, gives you less of that.

Its too much to go into, but wouldnt mind skype to get what I mean across.

Hope it helps,

Michael
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Quote:
On 2012-11-09 15:20, mastermindreader wrote:
"Mystery" didn't really fit for hypnotists, and also conjured up some pretty funny images. (Who is tonight's Mystery Entertainer?) "Psychic" seemed better to us at the time simply because it literally means "of the mind."

We did have long discussions about it and "psychic entertainer" was basically the result of compromise.

Thanks for your answer, Bob. What you say is very interesting, because over languages the semantic fields of two almost perfectly overlapping terms may differ consistently (I am obviously thinking about the problem for us here, in Italy) Smile
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
I never use the term mentalist. In my experience, laypeople think one of two things when the hear the word

1. What the heck is that?

2. Oh he's like those guys on TV that trick people into thinking you can read minds ext. (You just went from extraordinary moment to good trick/puzzle)

I bill myself as a Mindreader and Psychic Entertainer. I used to say Mystery Entertainer but no one really got what that was. I plan on branching out into hypnotism eventually so maybe I'll bring it back. I don't use the whole "psychological illusionist" guise as from the laypersons point of view is kind of a slap in the face. Its still a lie, your not reading into there body language to "read their thoughts." Your using the principles of magic and playing it off as being an expert at body language or whatever. To some people that may seem like "oh you got all that because your superficially judging me?" Or, "lets try to figure out how he's reading different people." In my opinion if your going to "lie" then make the lie the most extraordinary, entertaining one you possibly can.

-Chris
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Isn't all of what we as magicians, mentalists, etc do a lie? We are paid to deceive....and do it in an entertaining way.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
Exactly
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"Mentalist and Magician" is now the kewl term teens are using to book shows where I live. If you tag entertainer, they then have to inquire comedian, magician or what?

Psychic Entertainer and Mind Reader to me seem the way to go.........at least today. Smile
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
On 2012-11-09 10:12, ALEXANDRE wrote:
In my experience you can call yourself whatever you want, Magician, Mentalist, Psychic, Clown, Retired CIA Officer, Alien ... the proof of the pudding is in what you do.

If you call yourself a Magician who is doing a lot of hypnosis stuff, you'll be known as some kind of Hypnotist.

If you call yourself a Psychic while doing obvious magic tricks, you'll be known as a Magician.

If you call yourself a Magician while doing readings, you'll be known as a Reader (or Psychic Reader)

If you call yourself a Mystery Performer while fire eating and swallowing razor blades, you'll be known as some kind of Freak.

You get the idea.

It matters somewhat on advertising, but even so, look at David Blaine, Derren Brown, Max Maven, Kreskin, Uri Geller ... ask around (non-magicians) how they would label these people, and you'll surely get a couple of different answers regardless of what they like to call themselves.

It's what you do that ultimately matters, so call yourself whatever you like to be called.

I like to call myself ... Handsome.

out of all the posts here, I found this one the most helpful. Clear and simple. thanks a lot Alexandre, much appreciated!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-09 10:16, Mike Maturen wrote:
As one who DOESN'T do "mentalism"in my show (although I am starting to incorporate it), I have a few thoughts (no pun intended).

In reality, ALL of magic and illusion have an aspect of mentalism, in that we use psychological principles to create the illusion in the minds of the audience. Likewise, Mentalism has an aspect of magic and illusion in it, in that you use aspects of misdirection, etc to create the outcomes and answers you desire.

That being said...I think the best title for what you do is wrapped up in the screen name one of the participants in this thread uses: "MIND ILLUSION".

Perfect!

I think you are referring to my own name? yes and I was the same person asking the question haha. My current business card does say mentalist & magician, and as decomposed has said yes it did seem like the right term to use when I was a teenager. So I was thinking it was time for a new business card to be designed! I think I will go with Mystery Performer & Reader. Thanks again to all
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yes, indeed, I was referring to your name. I think "Mind Illusionist" is a PERFECT description of what mentalists do!

Quote:
On 2012-11-11 21:53, Mind illusionist wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-09 10:16, Mike Maturen wrote:
As one who DOESN'T do "mentalism"in my show (although I am starting to incorporate it), I have a few thoughts (no pun intended).

In reality, ALL of magic and illusion have an aspect of mentalism, in that we use psychological principles to create the illusion in the minds of the audience. Likewise, Mentalism has an aspect of magic and illusion in it, in that you use aspects of misdirection, etc to create the outcomes and answers you desire.

That being said...I think the best title for what you do is wrapped up in the screen name one of the participants in this thread uses: "MIND ILLUSION".

Perfect!

I think you are referring to my own name? yes and I was the same person asking the question haha. My current business card does say mentalist & magician, and as decomposed has said yes it did seem like the right term to use when I was a teenager. So I was thinking it was time for a new business card to be designed! I think I will go with Mystery Performer & Reader. Thanks again to all
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

I get what you mean Mike, but I think once you put the term illusionist in your title, the audience then believe what you do is a trick/illusion. also it would be quite hard to get work as a reader. So that's why Im thinking mystery performer & reader is good way to go.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 16:12, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-25 15:55, magicman29 wrote:
I for one hold my hands up to that,i got into mentalism by seeing derren perform!

I hope this doesn't come across as offensive bob,but what made you change from magic to mentalism?

Kieran

I never really "changed." I was including mental effects in my earliest shows as a young teenager and quickly discovered that I was more comfortable with it than I was with magic tricks. I hated working to music, liked to ad lib a lot and saw mentalism as a more effective vehicle for me.

Thanks Bob! Smile

I too hate working to music, liked to ad lib a lot and saw mentalism as a more effective vehicle for me!

THANKS FOR LETTING ME NOT FEEL SO ALONE. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
Charlatan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist vs. Reader vs. Mystery Entertainer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL