The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » JB Magic's X-Act (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
Wow, Mr. Kirby. Seriously? That is your idea of respecting the originator of this method for CAAN, the man who preceded your duplication of his method by nearly a decade? A dismissive mention in a post on an online forum? Shame on you.
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
I am not going to argue with anyone about this. I have stated before and I will say it this last time, I came up with this idea on my own. I had no knowledge of the other effect and my use of the gimmick to achieve the CAAN is unique to the other effect. That is it. I certainly mean no disrespect to anyone. Trash me all you want on this forum if it makes you happy. Merry Christmas.

Mike Kirby
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
Mike, did Xact at a walk around Christmas party last night, it received a fantastic response to the effect. Don't let anyone get "under your skin", life is too short. Thank you for your magic. Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Joe
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
Thank you Joe. Merry Christmas!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 16:42, Illucifer wrote:
Look up Woody Aragon's take on ACAAN. You'll likely drop every other method. Several choices made by several spectators, no dupes, regular pack. Not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but it's ***ed impressive. And it's brilliant.

It is so true... We / I were / was writing about it already quite a lot of time ago ....
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
I just got this and opened it up. The gimicks look to be of quality and just playing around with them without watching the DVD I understand the method. This is a neat way to do the Grail move without any move at all. Mr Kirby this is genious, I had an idea how this might work because of the Grail. But was still surprised at the clever design and workings. Very happy with my purchase so far.
Mike Kirby
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mike Kirby
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 18:37, drphil wrote:
I just got this and opened it up. The gimicks look to be of quality and just playing around with them without watching the DVD I understand the method. This is a neat way to do the Grail move without any move at all. Mr Kirby this is genious, I had an idea how this might work because of the Grail. But was still surprised at the clever design and workings. Very happy with my purchase so far.

That is awesome! So glad you like it. Merry Christmas.
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
IMO, Kozuch's Impossible 1 to 52 makes better use of the method and gimmicks rediscovered by Mr. Kirby. Immediately following the dump of the cards out of the box, they are handed to the spec, who himself deals the cards, face up, to the named number. The spec can deal beyond the named number all the way to the end of the deck or spread the remainder of the cards face up if desired. This extra freedom and flexibility requires a bit more calculation than the X-Act setup, apparently, but a supplied, easily hidden in plain sight crib does the calculations for you if you don't want to bother memorizing them, and the benefits are well worth it.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
IMO, this does x-actly what I wanted it to do. A simple to use method that works 100% of the time for any number from 1 to 52. The math couldn't be easier and any one will be able to do it. The one time set up was a breaze with a walk through by Mr. Mason himself. After the set up another chapter teaches you how to use it. The DVD is well laid out with seperate chapters and very good audio and video quality. It also has no filler and is streight to the point. I would rate the DVD a solid 10. The material you receive is top quality with great attention to every detail. Even the box is special and sized correctly. I would rate the props a solid 10. I wish all magic effects sold were of such high quality. In conclusion I'm very happy with this and highly reccomend it to any one wanting to perform c.a.a.n.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I bought this because it looks so clean and direct. I still have no idea how it works because I haven't received it yet. It looks lie a wonderful walk around piece that I WILL immediately put into my working repertoire. It's rare for me to add anything to my existing walk around effects. I can see this being used as an opener or as a quick effect in the middle of a gambling act.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 13:04, Platt wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 10:51, E.S. Andrews wrote:
Is X-Act not identical to Impossible 1 to 52 by Eduardo Kozuch? I ask based only on the demo, but it looks strikingly similar.

Yes, having seen and played around with both gimmicks, I can tell you they're nearly identical. There are negligible differences in the handling, but it's essentially the same gimmicks. I asked the creator to do the right thing and credit Eduardo but I have yet to see him mention his name.

Mark Mason owns the rights to this and will put things right I'm sure. He's a stand up guy.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
This is one of if not the best effect put out this year.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mike,
Hi. I just received this recently and I really like it! Nice work. I suppose there is always a chance that someone else did something similar, perhaps very similar. I believe you when you say you developed it on your own. I don't believe it's my place or anyone other than you and perhaps others with similar effects to get into any more about that aspect.
I will just say that this method is new to me and I really appreciate it. Very nicely done.
Thanks.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
It seems to be a lot of great reviews for this effect. However, theres an equally clean, gimmick less version of this, called the "gold edition holy grail" http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-The-Grail-GOLD-EDITION.html. So can anyone tell the pros and cons between these two effects?

I been doing holy grail for some years and it is really easy and very clean and convincing, but since I´m a sucker for ACAAN like effects, I´m of course tempted to by X-act also.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
- Think of X-Act as the Grail with no 're-adjustment' after dropping out the cards.
- There's less mental gymnastics involved than in the Grail.
- Out of the box X-Act suffers from a dirtier deck - something that can be remedied easily though.
- As opposed to the Grail, in X-Act you cannot hand out the card case (not that I wanted to....)
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
ike_hill
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ike_hill
Will there be gimmicks sold without the dvd? I would like some more "hit" options and I'm sure I could make more gimmicks but I enjoy how well these are made vs the hack job I'm sure I'd do. Thanks in advance for any help.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Just by matching df cards and matching two way f**** decks. Have as many sets made up as you want. Label the sets for the corrisponding f**** cards and use the X-act box and gimmicks. You can switch in a new set in seconds that way. This way you can use this to force any card for especially good force tricks.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
This effect is truely for workers-Mark was here for a few days in Late October
and these sold like Hotcakes after his very Entertaining demos but that's Mark!!!

Highly recommended from a Corporate worker this got a hammering at gigs
prior to Xmas with fabulous reactions...I have 2 so no problems switching decks for repeats..
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Drphil is correct, you can set up f**** decks for up to 47 different cards with only one X-Act set. There are many more variations and tweaks that can be applied to the basic gimmick - will probably post a list soon downstairs.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hey Nicolino, Thanks that's clears a lot for me regarding the Grail vs X-act.

Not that the Grail has ever called for any suspicion about fiddling or readjustment when taking out the deck. Nobody has ever noticed, which makes it squeaky clean. I love the fact that I can let the spectator count down the cards by him self, seeing that every card is indifferent. The brain gymnastics involved is minimal, so no cause for concern. In fact, I think The Grail is a truely masterpiece.

I will buy X-act just to satisfy my collections of ACAANs and CAANs, and I'm sure I will have a lot of great remarks and experiences with that effect too.

Thanks again.

Jan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » JB Magic's X-Act (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL