The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cards for Mental Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Hi,

There are quite a few effects in Mentalism where you need to make up special cards.
Today with the advancements of computers printers and graphic software it should be relatively easy.

I would like to hear your experience on which graphic software to use, type of paper and perhaps even printer modules which are more useful for these kinds of tasks.

Yours,

Jonathan
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Do you mean playing cards or cards of another type? If playing cards, I would not spend time making them up on home computer equipment. It'd use CardShark or some similar business.
T.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Hi Simon,

I meant other cards such as cards with movie titles, music lists, etc. or cards/postcards with various type of pictures on them.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Are you talking mental magic?

Why would you use gimmick cards when so much can be done with normal decks?

A good m.a.r.k.e.d deck can go a long way if you need a helping hand.

I still can't see why people would want a gimmick deck or block of cards when you have so many card stacks to pick from.

If you are after a double face or two face cards, there are people who will make them for you. When I did magic, I would connect, cards by Martin. He was the man to see when making gimmick cards! RIP.....

Ray
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
They are not gimmicked cards at all.
they are simpley cardstock displaying various stuff such as lists of words or pictures. There are many effects in mentalism that use such cards.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would just print them on whatever stock was appropriate- just like any other printing job.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
There is a very heavy card stock I have purchased at Staples, 110lb. I believe. I have had great success with Microsoft word. You can use card templates or creat your own tables depending on what you are looking to do.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Moo.com
I've asked to be banned
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Write them on normal card stock, I am sure a participant wouldn't care.

Pete
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-26 11:11, Peter_turner wrote:

Pete

That's exactly what I do. To my mind, if a printed card looks professionally done, a participant is apt to think it is "special" in some way. The focus should always be on the mentalist, not the slickness of his props.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I generally use word to lay out whatever I will print. I use whatever paper or card stock I think forks best. Normally I hand color the cards after wards, and then glue the material I printed onto the material I want to use for backing. aThe glue I use depends on the materials, a water thinned Elmer's or Elmer's wood glue is usually good. Then I place the sheets in my bookpress for a few hours, or over night (a sheet of wax paper between sheets allows for multiple sheets to be pressed at once). Then I cut, edge round, and gloss if needed.

This is how I make custom cards for an occasion or event.

Tony
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Wow! Great stuff, Tony. Thanks for sharing.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 11:23, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 11:11, Peter_turner wrote:

Pete

That's exactly what I do. To my mind, if a printed card looks professionally done, a participant is apt to think it is "special" in some way. The focus should always be on the mentalist, not the slickness of his props.

though, do you guys not think there is a thin line where having something you use often, to be professionally made (to a degree)? because otherwise we'd draw our ESP designs wouldn't we... before I got the PL picture cards, I had 25 image cards printed up with built in laminate so they'd last me, and look somewhat classy/professionally done...yet they are just 25 images that are found in Photoshop CS2 (the art package, not the effect)...so they are still natural in a way, because they are obvious objects to me and my art background...(and are pretty generic images, scissors, cat, key and so on)...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree with you there, Ian. I don't consider ESP cards, playing cards, design cards, etc. to be "special" cards that need to be printed as per the OP.

I'm specifically referring to pre-printed predictions and obviously special cards prepared for a specific trick and which would never otherwise be seen by a real person in the real world. Things that scream "special, gimmick, fake" as Henry Hay would have put it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 16:23, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm specifically referring to pre-printed predictions and obviously special cards prepared for a specific trick and which would never otherwise be seen by a real person in the real world. Things that scream "special, gimmick, fake" as Henry Hay would have put it.

aaaaaaaah! I must have misread it... I getcha...

there's a couple of effects out recently that lost major point from me cos of the reveals being printed out and on a playing card...dunno why they bother, it just drives the cost up...
I've asked to be banned
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I recommend using GNU Image Manipulation Program (www.gimp.org)as it is a free open-source version of Photoshop. You can do almost anything with it graphically. If money is not a concern than Photoshop is great. A few Web 2.0 sites are probably out there which do graphics manipulation. I can't give any used insight on paper or printing though.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of jakubr
I would just write it myself (that's what I used to do for some effects), but if you're looking for the graphic program, I would also recommend Gimp, it's free and has lots of options.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I highly recommend Inkscape, which is a free vector graphics editor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cards for Mental Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL