The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Scoop! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Hey Everybody!
Over the years I've been asked many, many times about my gimmicked Ice-Cream Scoop used in "Shake It Up" on the PSPB Kids Show. Anyone who's ever tried to make one knows just how challenging it is. Well, I'm proud to say I've finally solved all of the problems and created a beautiful prop that you'll love to use in your show for many years to come. Check it out and let me know what you think:
http://www.danharlanmagic.com/The-Scoop-TheScoop.htm
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Wow! That looks even better than the one you used on the kids how DVD. Nice prop.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
"You can even Change a scoop of Ice-Cream into a Folded, Signed Playing Card in your spectator’s hands".

Dan Harlan is a creative genius!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Very Nice!
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Now that's neat. Can you please make a 2 girls one scoop themed demo?

Love this Smile

DD
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Ok I had never seen that before. VERY cool, Dan.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1086 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Great looking prop!
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
895 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Fantastic as always Dan!

I'm just trying to rake my mind to think where I would actually use it.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
I made one a long time ago for a routine I was doing.

I did this magic milk shake thing. That's the same time I created my spring ice cream bucket.

The hardest part of making the ice cream scoop was making it in a way that it would last.
I had a billiard ball that fit my scoop perfectly.
I used it as an anvil to pound a thick aluminum pie pan around.
Then I cut the aluminum to the right size, painted one side, and glued it to the mechanism of the scoop.
The big problem was it was fragile and the paint eventually chipped off... but then again I only used it for that one routine I did.

Still an awesome idea and people loved it.

One time at a magic meeting, I did a misers dream ice cream routine... but that was a joke.

Glad you brought this back Dan.
Many things you can do with this.

Randi
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Randi--
Yes, you and I know how challenging it is to make something like this... and we're skilled at making things. That's why it's taken so long for me to be happy with my design. My originals were all glued onto the scoop mechanism and masked around the edges with Sharpie marker! They would all break... eventually... but this one won't! No way. I've made the bowl one-piece that is machined to lock right into the existing "spindle"... no glue at all! It really is excellent, I only wish I would have thought of it sooner!

@David Klass, as far as uses, obviously if one uses a Milk Pitcher this is a great add-on... or substitute, if you want to do away with real liquid yet still use a "milky" product... my original routine (Shake It Up) used a bunch of neat devices to do away with all liquids (I hope to get an excerpt up on YouTube soon). "The Scoop!" doesn't have to be limited to kids shows, of course, it can be used as a comedy prop or even in a manipulation routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfryriEIB......e#t=124s
That whole routine is fun to watch, but I saved you some time by linking to the part where he uses his scoop the most (until about 3:20 after he blows confetti from it). He does some nice appearances, transpostions and transformations. Note that he is not using "The Scoop!" but a homemade version (I think his is black inside, actually). Honestly, now that I have a reliable version that I don't have to treat gently, I'm coming up with all kinds of things! My favorite so far is changing the ice-cream visually into something else... like a folded card, or an egg, or an ice-cube, or a borowed ring, or an Oreo cookie... anything that will fit into "The Scoop!"
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The guy in the video is Sunny Chen, super nice guy from Taiwan and recently he performed at FISM. Great routine.
James

Quote:
On 2012-07-27 13:29, DanHarlan wrote:
Randi--
Yes, you and I know how challenging it is to make something like this... and we're skilled at making things. That's why it's taken so long for me to be happy with my design. My originals were all glued onto the scoop mechanism and masked around the edges with Sharpie marker! They would all break... eventually... but this one won't! No way. I've made the bowl one-piece that is machined to lock right into the existing "spindle"... no glue at all! It really is excellent, I only wish I would have thought of it sooner!

@David Klass, as far as uses, obviously if one uses a Milk Pitcher this is a great add-on... or substitute, if you want to do away with real liquid yet still use a "milky" product... my original routine (Shake It Up) used a bunch of neat devices to do away with all liquids (I hope to get an excerpt up on YouTube soon). "The Scoop!" doesn't have to be limited to kids shows, of course, it can be used as a comedy prop or even in a manipulation routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfryriEIB......e#t=124s
That whole routine is fun to watch, but I saved you some time by linking to the part where he uses his scoop the most (until about 3:20 after he blows confetti from it). He does some nice appearances, transpostions and transformations. Note that he is not using "The Scoop!" but a homemade version (I think his is black inside, actually). Honestly, now that I have a reliable version that I don't have to treat gently, I'm coming up with all kinds of things! My favorite so far is changing the ice-cream visually into something else... like a folded card, or an egg, or an ice-cube, or a borowed ring, or an Oreo cookie... anything that will fit into "The Scoop!"
--Dan Harlan
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
neilbird
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of neilbird
Hello Dan,

I am interested in seeing the effect, is their a new video link?

I have a possible job coming up with an ice cream education project.

Kind regards,

Neil
Inner circle
Atlanta
2496 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
What's wrong with the video in the post above yours?

s
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Here's Jen and I using it in the context of our new routine "Shake"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkfF5COOZJQ
We are just starting to flesh this routine out, but it might give you an idea. The basic use of The Scoop! was covered in the PSPB Kid's Birthday Party DVD from L&L.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Dan, that was so entertaining. You and Jen make a great team!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5304 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I've seen The Scoop on your site before, Dan, but I don’t see it there now! Where'd it go?!

Jim
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Jim--
One of my suppliers (for a critical part) stopped manufacturing what I need. I only have on-hand enough parts for two more complete units... until I can figure something else out.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1493 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Is this available again?
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
949 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Technically, no. In my travels I have been fortunate enough to find a few of the specific parts at retail... and I have purchased them just to have them on hand... in case someone contacts me and "must have" The Scoop! I haven't raised the price, although I'm only taking "custom" orders. Please be aware that if you do contact me for one of these, my schedule won't allow me to devote any time to it until I return from Europe on December 2, 2013. I do hope that, as time allows, I'll be able to convince my friends at Penguin Magic to make a quality version of The Scoop! for me... and also to make some of my other items as well.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Scoop! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL