The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Founding Fathers' Fortunes - Need a Historian (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
About the recent Two Dollar Bills - there is some discussion online and it's not difficult to find the painting which served as model for the engraving.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2777 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well you can't really see everybody's feet, so it would be hard to count.

But I have heard something about it showing Jefferson stepping on somebody's foot because he didn't like him.
But then it was explained that it just looked that way.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The black fellow on the two dollar bill (how the heck did you not know about that?) Has a bottle of Mad Dog in his pocket. Now I have to count legs.

The revolution is a facinating part of history and those founders were right on.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
He was supposedly stepping on Adams's foot.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27116 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A few minutes of looking later... here's a site with the image ... and not too much about conspiracies, UFOs and racism... I hope

http://clermontstatehistoricsite.blogspo......ton.html
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2777 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 21:06, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
A few minutes of looking later... here's a site with the image ... and not too much about conspiracies, UFOs and racism... I hope

http://clermontstatehistoricsite.blogspo......ton.html

It's the big guy sitting in the middle with book in hand. His faced looks red on the picture, but on the bill it looks black.

It really is weird.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Maybe it was one of Jeffersons kids.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2777 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2012-07-28 21:46, MagicSanta wrote:
Maybe it was one of Jeffersons kids.

LOL

But you may be right.

I did find some top secret stuff on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-YpYZ17FU

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I feel better. Thanks, Santa.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
So--is this to say that our economy is returning to the roots set forth by the Founding Fathers? Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5352 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is a popular "history" about the Signers of the Declaration of Independence of the English Colonies from England that has them dying broke from supporting the founding of the country. This is something that has been floating around the Internet for years. It is inaccurate and misleading!

The Signers of the Declaration of Independence knew they could have been targeted by the British as Traitors. They showed tremendous courage and bravery by willingly putting their names on a document that could bring about their deaths. They were remarkable men. We do not need to embellish the truth!

NO signer was killed outright by the British, and only ONE, Richard Stockton, was imprisoned solely for having signed the Declaration of Independence. The others were captured while fighting in the army and were treated as Officers (all were officers) and Prisoners of War (harshly to be sure!) they were NOT tortured.

Of the 56 signers, 17 held commissions in the army or did medical duty during the war. Many of those whose property was looted or destroyed managed to re-establish themselves financially after the war.

Carter Braxton, a signer from Virginia, did suffer financial hardships because of the British, but he retained other holdings. Mr. Braxton sold much of his property and loaned the money to the Congress to help finance the revolution. The debt was NEVER REPAID! He lost his lands after the war as a result! The US caused his finical ruin not the British. He never in his life complained. That is a true patriot!

Thomas McKean did NOT die in poverty. In fact, he was quite wealthy when he died at the age of 83 in 1817 after serving as Governor of Pennsylvania for 9 years.

No one knows for sure if Thomas Nelson’s home was fired upon (the source of the story seems to be family legend), but he heard the home was turned into a tourist attraction after the war, and additional cannonball holes were added for “authenticity.”

Three were born in Ireland, two in England, one in Wales, and one in Scotland. The rest were born in the colonies.

Button Gwinnett a signer from Georgia died in 1777 as a result of a duel with a political opponent! Thomas Lynch, Jr. a signer from South Carolina, and his wife left this country to live in the West Indies and sort of disappear from history!

A family member murdered George Wythe a signer from North Carolina in 1806 when he was 80 years old. He was killed because he had willed some of his property to former slaves.

By and large the majority of these men ended up well off,

The majority of the signers survived the war and rebuilt their fortunes. Many served in the federal government or in their state governments.

Three served as Vice Presidents of the US and two of those became President of the United States, at least three became Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States and several more served in Federal Judgeships. About one forth of the signers went on to become the Governors of their respective states and several served as Senators in their home states.

The son of one signer, Benjamin Harrison from Virginia became the 9th president.

The majority were men of substance, position, and wealth following the war. Yet all men were of unquestionable courage.

For those interested in biographies of these men go to:

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/signers/index.htm

The actual history and accomplishments of these men before, during, and after the war is fascinating!

Of final note, Charles Carroll a signer from Maryland was the last surviving member of those who signed the Declaration. He died a wealthy man, in 1832 at the age of ninety-six.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks for reminding us about the facts, Mr. Murphy, and about Charles Carroll of Carrollton. He was born in Baltimore, and at the age of 9 was sent to France where he could attend a Catholic school. He never saw his mother again. At one time, he was considered the wealthiest man in America, but the family forture appears to have been dissipated over the course of the XIXth Century.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Fascinating, Harry- I add my thanks!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thanks, Harry. I know there was someone here who knew the "rest of the story".
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
How do you know it is accurate?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Founding Fathers' Fortunes - Need a Historian (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL