We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The use of clipboards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Hi there!

Im thinking of something that I don't have in my possession, a clipboard (impression device). I wonder to what effects you are using it? Is it only for pre-show? (I don't like preshows because I think its fishy from the spectators point of view, but please, convince me if you are of a different opinion). And, if working with it during the show, how? and in what effects?

/H
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Clip boards are off the menu at the moment.

They are likely to continue to be revealed as a prop used by Magi on TV etc. Introduce one to your audience at your peril I reckon.

Even the flash digital clipboards are maybe suspicious, not to mention expensive.

I reckon economy of means at the moment is the most disarming way to go.

Just a point of view!

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Yes. I was thinking of making the bold one as presented of Max Maven on the video mind series if I was going to use it.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Hi
I don't understand why clipboards should be "off the menu"?

At least in this part of the world, they are an everyday office and meetings item. No one would get suspicious about them.

Show a clipboard to a spectactor and ask what it is, and she/he will tell you that she/he has at least one at home and several at work.

If clipboards are considered as old fashion and/or an item to be suspicious about, it must be by magicans/mentalists looking for new stuff all the time, - not an average audience.

Check out Chuck Hickok's routine.
In this you, (after preshow work) reveal 3 predictions during the performance.

This is a stunner.
Sven
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Hi sven (and the rest),

I wonder where to find it. I also would like to know your opinion on the foursided triangle-theme effect you could do with a clipboard.

/H
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Why use a "gimmick" when one can do without?!?!?!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
It is the quick fix Fast-food mentalism we are accustomed too. I have 3 different clipboards and seldom use any of them.

I will occasionally use one for a Lee Earle based duplication effect, but there are easier ways. I love Corinda's 13 steps. It teaches you so much, you can walk into any environment and perform for hours!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Variations on the clipboard, like Alan Shaxton's Confabulation, are always impressive.

And a certain "Doctor" from the UK came up with a great routine using a MENU as a clipboard in the first volume of Invocation Magazine. I use them in drawing duplications, primarily.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
BlackSalt
View Profile
New user
Canada
76 Posts

Profile of BlackSalt
IMO, a wonderful option away from clip boards would be “Black Magic” by Ted Lesley in Paramiracles. For those who want hard core, in your face, how the heck did he know that - type of impact, pick-up a copy of Ted’s Infomatico Principle; destroys those who know about boards.

Best regards,
BlackSalt
Michael BlackSalt
A Vacation For The Mind!
www.blacksalt.ca
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
[quote]On 2003-10-17 15:28, Thoughtreader wrote:
Why use a "gimmick" when one can do without?!?!?!

I completely agree, if the matter is to just find for example thought of words, numbers etc that you just refer to or that you write on a legal pad or whatever to show to the audience.
In this matter I am a loyal user of CTs among others.

What I refer to is, when you need to show what one spectactor actually wrote or drew to the audience, during the performance.
Just like the Hickok routine I mentioned
IMHO it an absolute natural thing to let the spectactor write on a clipboard in such situations.

Sven
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I'm of the opinion that less is more. When I do anything even in formal performances I try to give the impression I'm playing & I'm making it up as I go along. Therefore I need to look as if I've just picked up and used what I find around me. For me nice looking props or evidence of formal preparation is a no no.

In consequence the effects hopefully are even more disarming.

Its just a point of view.

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
In consequence the effects hopefully are even more disarming.

I couldn't agree more, I don't use "props" as such in my performances at all, and I never will.

You will only find a few white envelopes, some writing paper, a few books, - and of course my CLIPBOARD - which never is in use during the performances. It's just for pre-show work.

Sven

P.S. I assume that a floating teapot or whatever it is, is a central part of your mental act? Smile Smile Smile

[quote]On 2003-10-18 00:53, BlackSalt wrote:
IMO, a wonderful option away from clip boards would be “Black Magic” by Ted Lesley

I am a great admirer of Ted Lesley, however he does mental magic, where among other Black Art belong. /It is great, by the way!

However, black envelopes are something many get suspicious about. Well, it's quite okay for a magician or someone doing mental magic. Not for a mentalist.
I don't consider a black envelope as an innocent, ordinary everyday item.


Well when all this is mentioned; Discussions about whether clipboard are on or off the menu, about to use (magic) props or not use in a performance etc etc, might be neither very constructive nor very valuable.

I found my concept by reading, observing and doing a helluva lot of thinking.
What I do, suits me and MY style, and I guess people should do exactly that. Establish their OWN style - not copy or blind follow trend waves in our art.
In my opinion, that's the key to success.

Sven
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
Sir T makes a nice one based on two of Bob Cassidy's ebooks, I am not sure which one they are as, they were limited edition ebooks, so you may want to PM him.

RP
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Hi Sven,
The floating teapot is strictly part of my magic persona.

I have others.

There are those who see Magicians & Mentalists as being different. Maybe they are. I tend to think that the skills of one assist the other.

Hey this ought to be a new thread.

Best wishes Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Count;
Sorry about my joking attitude. It wasn't seriously meant.
Just so this is said:
I just LOVE magic.(-except for modern illusions, which I can be without with no serious problems about that).

In what I do, I try to be extremely careful about what I bring in to my performances.
My opinion is, (-and that's connected to what I do) that everything that could make my audience associate what I do with magic tricks, would kill me.

I have mentioned it several times on this forum, and I do this again.
I don't have any disclaimer. I don't pretend to be psychic or something like that.

I just want to leave my spectactors with one big questionmark on their forehead,like,-"what the heck was that? Is everything possible to explain? Is he a magician....or??? " Got my point? Smile

Sven
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
[quote]On 2003-10-18 12:29, Sven wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-10-18 00:53, BlackSalt wrote:
IMO, a wonderful option away from clip boards would be “Black Magic” by Ted Lesley

I am a great admirer of Ted Lesley, howveer he does mental magic, where among other Black Art belong. /It is great, by the way!

However, black envelopes is something many get suspicious about. Well....it's quite ok for a magician or someone doing mental magic. Not for a mentalist.
I don't concider a black envelope as an innocent, ordinary everyday item....
Sven


Sven,

Have you read "Paramiracles" by Ted Lesley? Because your post suggests that you have no idea what you are talking about. "Black Magic" is an effect of Ted's in that book that "steals information" while in front of your audience and has NOTHING to do with black envelopes OR black art principles. Ted Lesley does mind numbing mentalism, not mental magic and I have seen him use those in just those cases. Watching him perform his "centre tear" or his "black magic" live, is testament to that and I suggest that unless you truly know what you are talking about, that you don't.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Refering to the cover on Ted Lesleys Cabaret Mind Reading:

"A Great Bank Night effect as a spectactor successfully finds a drawing placed into an envelope and mixed with three others. Unfortunately she manages to miss out on the currency contained in the others!"

When it comes to the version in Paramiracles, you're right, there are no black envelopes, just BLACK, CLOSSY business cards (!!) and a white envelope
(Maybe a reflective spectactor would wonder why to bother with white stickers on black business card in stead of just using a white slip of paper??!!)

I am trying to say this again, and please, read my lips (-not my mind)
I am a great admirer of Ted Lesley. Both routines above are very good(as very much of the rest of his work)
BUT: Ted Lesley do mentalism AND magic, and in many cases combines this into one routine - and in the same performances.

In my opinion (and my opinion belongs to me), Ted Lesley is more of a mental magician than a mentalist.
...and what's wrong with that??? Nothing, Ted Lesley is a great entertainer!! It was just my comment to it all.

Paul; next time you concider to accuse anybody for not knowing what they are talking about, with all respect - do your own homework before you do.

Sven

PS What has Ted Lesley's Center Tear to do with it all?? His routine is great, and I have used it for years.
The technical handling and tear however, can hardly be called Ted Lesleys invention.
I learned the same tear some 35-40 years ago from a Norwegian booklet on mentalism by Ove Dahl
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
It is the way Ted performs the Centre Tear that makes it his, not the method. As for his using "Black Magic" - It is a beautiful business card and the need to apply the white sticker does make sense as you cannot read anything written on the back of a black card. He uses a similar "routine" when providing information using that principle as well. When using that technique, he comes across as a true mindreader.

As for Ted being a mental magician, I would hazzard to guess that you have not seen him work live, otherwise you might not think that.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Hmmmm, I take it that there must be one of two possible scenarios here:

1) This "The greatest mindreader in the world" as his website tells about, must have extremely lazy days or an extreme need to prove something, having time to continue this meaningless discussion.

2) My English must be more horrible than ever, resulting in that I can't get my point through.

I try again:
Mr Lesley is a greater entertainer than most of the members of The Magic Café (Mr. Alberstat probably included) ever can dream of to become.
However, I define what I have seen Mr. Lesley do as MENTAL MAGIC, not MENTALISM.
In my humble opinion,teleportation, black envelopes, glassbending and such, is not the latter.

Most of this worlds population (myself included) has not seen Mr. Lesley live. (this also goes for among others, your own president, Mao Tse Tung, Arnold Scwarzenegger and Santa Claus).
This does not exclude anyones option to have an opinion. (which is in the mind of the beholder).

My own opinion is build on Paramiracles which I have read through a lot of times, Mr. Lesleys two DVDs which I have watched even more and the items I have bought from his product list.

After having gone through this material, I still define Mr. Lesley as doing mental magic. I appreciate that no one tells me what my own opinion should be - I respect all other people's right to have one.

When this is said, I don't take your point. Is it your intention to say that there is something wrong about mental magic? I don't believe that, even though I don't do that myself.

From my side, I consider this discussion as having come to an end, and will not waste any more time on this. I believe in, and prefer the more constructive dialogs.

Sven

P.S. The Black Magic I is not absolutely logical though.

There should be no reason for bothering with writing something on black glossy business card after having put white stickers on, as long as it is possible to just write on white paper slips.

A reflective spectactor would probably come foreward with a question or two about this.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Sven,
The rationale for the wring on the back of the card is that you have no other paper there.

As for the Mental Magic vs. Mentalism, Ted does indeed do both, however when one watches him perform his mentalism, watch out because he does look like a true mind reader.

And as far as being as good as Ted, he does list me as one the best he has seen work too!

Believe it or don't, I don't care AND if you really prefer, ask Ted yourelf when he is back from his lectures. I am more than happy to give you his personal contact info as opposed to getting a hold of him here. There are numerous others (and ones here) that have been to my performances as well and can also tell you. Unlike many here, I do actually know from experience of working in the real world about what I talk and people like you are one of the reasons many merely lurk in here.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The use of clipboards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL