We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The use of clipboards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
If I can return to the original question on this thread, I think a clipboard is GREAT for pre-show work. You're walking around a lobby (or wherever) carrying a clipboard as you go up to somebody and ask him or her to fill out a form or to write some info on a piece of paper. It's the most natural thing in the world to use a clipboard for this purpose, especially in a setting where folks are STANDING AROUND, not seated at tables.

ANd remember, when you use a clipboard for pre-show work, 90% of the audience (or more) never even saw the clipboard, so it's invisible as far as they're concerned!

Steve HOffman
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Lee Earle has a wonderful idea on "Desert Brainstorm", Vol. 1, when he's teaching "Con-bination". Watch the method closely, and he shows you how to turn the most innocent objects into a Lee Earle-style clipboard.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-10-24 00:49, Steve Hoffman wrote:
I think a clipboard is GREAT for pre-show work.

It's the most natural thing in the world to use a clipboard for this purpose, especially in a setting where folks are STANDING AROUND, not seated at tables.

ANd remember, when you use a clipboard for pre-show work, 90% of the audience (or more) never even saw the clipboard, so it's invisible as far as they're concerned!

Steve HOffman

Steve;
We share the opinion on this.
What I feel is that a clipboard should be used for this kind of work, - Images, words or numbers that you want to reveal during the performance.
As you so correctly say, wiht this kind of preshow work, just a very few people have seen the clipboard.
They won't remember it. The rest of the audience don't even know about it,- only that some persons wrote or drew something for use before the show.

I have been using my clipboard for several routines (after preshow work), for the time being, I use a slightly altered Chuck Hickok Routine.
It stunns my audience.

I have in my time used various clipboards.
I just rescently got my new, - John Riggs's Brown Hornet Clipboard. I am convinced about that I will stay with this.
It is slim, completely innoscent looking and has a very good quality.
Those of you who know Chuck's routine, know that your spectactor writes or draws on 3 separate sheets on top of eachother on the board. With this clipboard you have no problems what so ever to get the image from the top sheet.
I tested it, and you get a clear picture even with 5 or 6 sheets (in case you should need that) on top of eachother.

The Brown Hornet is strongly reccomended.

Sven
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Sven,

Aside from the obvious issues you have with Paul Alberstat, your recommendation on the Brown Hornet is well taken and well considered. Thank you.

As to your issues with Paul, re Ted Leslie, I can only say that you both hold strong opinions that disagree with each other.

Glass bending, like key bending, is, in the eyes of the audiences, a psychokinetic effect, NOT a magic trick. Please look at the write ups Maestro Leslie has gotten on that effect. The press seems to think it is some kind of mental energy causing the bend, not a magic trick.

Mentalism, as opposed to mental magic, is in the eyes of the beholding audience, IMHO. The same can be said of the teleportation effects. The press, and through them, the public, seems to think it IS a psychokinetic or spiritualistic phenomena and not a magic trick.

So, while we disagree on the perceptions, we all agree that Maestro Leslie is a superb entertainer.

Anything further is really along the lines of picking nits, don't you think?

So, as someone once called me "the Common Sense Cursader," Smile which I am STILL laughing about, let's all lighten up on this, shall we?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Not trying to get into a "match here" BUT when working corporate functions which I do a fair amount as well as playing theatres in smaller towns at times, these people do talk to each other (especially Corporate ones where they are together for days and sometimes work together all year) and they do share notes and talk about what they saw/what happened. For this reason alone I do not like to use any pre-show. It can be intrusive and cause problems. There are far better ways to gather information stealthily and also during the performance which is bullet proof.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-10-24 11:41, mstrhypno wrote:

So, while we disagree on the perceptions, we all agree that Maestro Leslie is a superb entertainer.

Anything further is really along the lines of picking nits, don't you think?

So, as someone once called me "the Common Sense Cursader," Smile which I am STILL laughing about, let's all lighten up on this, shall we?

Lee,
I have read many of your posts and replies to other topics in this forum.
What I read is reflective and constructive thoughts which for me add a lot to the reasons for being in this forum.

Thank you for trying to make peace here Smile .
Not agreeing on the above discussion is really not a big thing for me. I have come forward with what I had to say about this matter, and intended to take my clipboard along and leave the topic.

As to whether Ted Lesley is a maestro, we completely agree.
As to whether the average audience would believe psychokinetic experiments, bending of various items and teleportations to be more than magic tricks, we don't. Smile

Lee, I respect you for having your opinions on this, - thank you for your contribution to the debate.

I'm out of here.
Regards
Sven
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Sven,You have handled a difficult situation well.

In the final analysis none of this matters a jot.

We all need to be kinder to each other.

Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
I'd like to share a few thoughts here. Maybe it will help. I hope so.

Zapik is quite right. We "need to be kinder to each other." We also need to be more careful. Remember, we may collectively speak many different primary langauges and not realize the multiple meanings that are possible with what we say. Heck, it's easy enough not to realize our implications when everyone speaks the same primary language! <G>

For example, Mr. Alberstat never called himself "the greatest mindreader in the world." The Hong Kong Daily Press did. That's how reporters write and also how public relations works. Paul used the quote as any top worker would. He has nothing to prove to anyone (!) and in fact, is leaving his country next week for more professional engagements. He shares here because that is his giving nature. He is a pro's pro, like Ted Lesley, or Richard Osterlind, who are among the busiest and most succesful workers today.

This is a *public* forum where *anybody* can lurk and read occasional nonsense. No one (especially a pro)needs to be linked to nonsense. When an obvious repeat troublemaker here tries to agitate (and fools no one in doing so), it just drives the sharing pros far far away. It's that simple. No mystery whatsoever.

Speaking of sharing, Cynthia and I deeply appreciate the very kind remarks about Peek Encores. If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail or phone. I will try my best to help you.

Take good care people.
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-11-01 11:46, Count Zapik wrote:
Sven,You have handled a difficult situation well.

In the final analysis none of this matters a jot.

We all need to be kinder to each other.

Zapik Smile

Zapik,
Thank you, ..and I agree,we need to be kinder to each other.

Richard;
I'll PM you

Sven
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
Richard;
I'll PM you

Fine! BTW, you were and are not the bad apple I was thinking of!

Regards,

rb
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
For this reason alone I do not like to use any pre-show. It can be intrusive and cause problems. There are far better ways to gather information stealthily and also during the performance which is bullet proof.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide
Now with three gimmicks for FRAGMENTS

Hi Paul,

What are your recomendations other than clipboards? I agree with you and have lately been looking at other ways of working. I am using mentalism integrated into two day seminars which means I am in small groups who know each other!

Any suggestions would be welcome either here or PM.

Many thanks..
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2003-11-01 15:11, Richard Busch wrote:

Fine! BTW, you were and are not the bad apple I was thinking of!

Thank you Richard, also for your friendly words in the PM I just read

Sven
kamiruaga
View Profile
New user
The Basque Country (N. Spain)
69 Posts

Profile of kamiruaga
Hi!
In his latest book (Direct Mind Reading & Mind-Control Effects), Marc Paul offers a good solution to avoid all those pre-show problems and convince your audience that everything was fair.
Best,
All those who believe in telekinesis,
raise my hand. (Kurt Vonnegut)"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The use of clipboards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL