The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your view of Great Britain? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I've been very interested in the reaction of the global press to Great Britain as the Olympics get underway.

Some report on our quirkiness, others our great comedy or music whereas others focus on how GB has lost its way in the world and still relies on former glories and the lost Empire. There is also a lot written about GB as a multicultural experiment gone wrong.

What is your view of Great Britain? (and let me know where you're from) Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My view of Great Britain? I live in California and cannot see it from here.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
My own view of Great Britain is generally positive. I've visited London and had a great time there, and have some friends who have moved there (from elsewhere in Europe) and they like it a lot (even though many have to commute in from some nearby town). I'm in Canada, btw.

The Canadian media has generally been neutral to positive on the British games as far as I've noticed. Very little has been particularly negative. With one or two exceptions, usually recalling how judgmental parts of the British press were in 2010:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012......-dimanno

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game......259.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
Irreverent sense of humor. Too class conscious. Interesting music. Zany Royals. Outstanding cultural attractions. Living in the past.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Awesome musciains, awesome special forces troops, awesome culture, glad the American founding fathers won the American Revolutionary War after hearing about some of England's draconian laws in comparison to American laws from some people I know who has visited England for some time.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I could go on for hours about the Brits. What a peculiar people!

Here is a most excellent book, highly recommended by myself:

http://www.amazon.com/Watching-English-H......40818867
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
My paternal grandfather's parents came to the US from Wales. My paternal grandmother's family came from England. So I always have an interest and admiration for the place.

My sister go to go there some years ago. I haven't yet, but someday...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I know that every Christmas you are invaded by monsters and a man in a blue box has to save you.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My family also are from Wales and England.

I love the UK. My major was history and England was a favorite focus. One thing coming from an American perspective is our country is relatively young. In <oston I found things from the 1600s while you have beautiful structures that were old by that point (I felt the same in Israel). The UK is just a stunning country and our histories are forever intertwined.

I am not a fan of most English comedy or comics. Other than Eddie Izzars most are unwatchable. You produce great music yet your pop performers usuallu have bad back up dancers. Then again compared to the rest of Europe, who you guys should dissassociate yourselves with, your dancers are brilliant. I did see the first American performance by a girl named Cher Llyn or close to that and she was outstanding. I lik the British people and their personal humor.

Great Britain, Australia, and Chile are my favorite countries to visit.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I love Britain. The people are so friendly, the history is amazing, the countryside and the towns and cities are a joy to visit. And you gave us a wonderful language, which we Irish have shown you how to use.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16129 Posts

Profile of tommy
From my office window not much on a Saturday night as I see them comming out of the night clubs drunk and fighting but from my house I have a nice view of the country. I guess it depends on the time and place that you are seeing it from.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Very humble and polite in person.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1782 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 13:38, critter wrote:
I know that every Christmas you are invaded by monsters and a man in a blue box has to save you.

That is a very old tradition.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't get it....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 19:35, MagicSanta wrote:
I don't get it....

Dr. Who, I think. Except I thought the box was red? But I am colour challenged and / or blind, so what do I know.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
From Canada, but recently in Europe spending time with people from Liverpool and Belfast, so my views are influenced by conversations with them. And, here they are:

Nice folks. Friendly. Good sense of humour.

However, great concern over an increase in street crimes. Particularly of concern are the random acts of violence resulting in severe injuries and death. Also, prevalent is the number of wanton break-ins. To add to the negative, excessive housing prices that are out of touch with reality and creating a life long sentence of debt.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
We were there in March and found them to be the warmest and friendliest people I have ever met. They sort of reminded me of the cyclist that keeps popping up in European vacation. There was a businessman returning from lunch that we asked for directions. He said "It's a bit complicated, so I'd better take you there." He walked with us about seven blocks until we could see where we were headed. I asked what he did for a living, and he said "I am the president of XXX Bank." I thanked him for his help and said "You'd better hurry back to work. There are probably people waiting on you", to which he replied, "I'm a little late for a meeting, but that's okay. They'll wait... I'm the boss!" Smile

Another time, we were waiting in line to buy some theater tickets to "Singin' in the Rain". We were visiting with a nice gentleman in line who asked whether we had seen the show before (we had not). He then offered to give us four front-row tickets for the following week because his wife didn't want to get wet and wanted to sit further back. I told him that we would not be in town next week, but I offered to buy the tickets for my daughter who was studying in London for the semester, and who had been trying very hard to get front-row tickets. He wouldn't accept payment, and he just gave them to me.

On the flip side, in Paris, the only help we could get from anyone was from a Londoner, who happened to live in Paris.

Of all the places I have ever visited, this is the only place that I have ever been truly sad to leave.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 19:43, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-29 19:35, MagicSanta wrote:
I don't get it....

Dr. Who, I think. Except I thought the box was red? But I am colour challenged and / or blind, so what do I know.

It's blue. It's a police box, not a phone booth Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
So much to love about Great Britain - the history, the buildings, the literature, the comedy (even if Mrs Brown is Irish), dour old parachuting great grannies in bloomers, Tommy...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-07-30 09:18, critter wrote:

It's blue. It's a police box, not a phone booth Smile

Except a police box is / was a phone booth of sorts! Smile

"A police box is a British telephone kiosk or callbox located in a public place for the use of members of the police, or for members of the public to contact the police."

BTW

"British police boxes were usually blue, except in Glasgow, where they were red until the late 1960s."

That must be what I was thinking of when I said red before. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your view of Great Britain? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL