The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Whatever happened to Dave Mann from Precision Magic? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Remember that guy?
P3
practice practice perform.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The guy that made the dancing cane dvd? I seem to remember that as giving excellent instruction on the cane.
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I released a few item thru him. I have not talked to him in 5 years now. Last time I did he had lost everything and might be getting a divorce and he was living with a friend. I wished him luck and told him if he needed anything to let me know. Then I called him a few days later and the phone was turned off.

And yes his dancing cane was the best! His dvd was great too! His 201 cane was something to see.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
His Silent Butler was awesome! IMO, it's one of the most underused utilities out there that can clean up just about any effect that leaves you dirty. And it let's you create some of the most impossible effects!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 17:46, JeremyM0411 wrote:
...he had lost everything and might be getting a divorce and he was living with a friend. I wished him luck and told him if he needed anything to let me know. Then I called him a few days later and the phone was turned off.

That happened to me. Imagine losing everything you OWN! You're out in the street, with the clothes on your back and two carry-on bags...I've started over, but man...my heart goes out to ANYONE going through this. The difference is, I had no friends, no wife, just me. I ended up in a homeless shelter.

This story gets repeated all over the U.S.! Times is tough... Smile

Doug
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 20:15, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-31 17:46, JeremyM0411 wrote:
...he had lost everything and might be getting a divorce and he was living with a friend. I wished him luck and told him if he needed anything to let me know. Then I called him a few days later and the phone was turned off.

That happened to me. Imagine losing everything you OWN! You're out in the street, with the clothes on your back and two carry-on bags...I've started over, but man...my heart goes out to ANYONE going through this. The difference is, I had no friends, no wife, just me. I ended up in a homeless shelter.

This story gets repeated all over the U.S.! Times is tough... Smile

Doug

I am glad you are doing better now! I hope Dave is doing ok. I can't find him anywhere even his best friend does not know where he is.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
His dancing cane routine is the standard here in Asia. You see guys in competition combining it with Revolution. Excellent DVD.
He also made the killer hotrods. I have a solid metal black one with crystals. I remember he took a beating in the forums. You know, the typical mob that just kills any new item coming out. He said he would never come back and he was true to his word.
Dave, I hope you are well.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I too felt the lose.
I purchased his dancing cane and started to work with him on ideas and POOF, he was gone. Called. Nothing. Emailed. Nothing.
Poor guy. Hope he is well. He did take a beating here.

His material was great. Quality products. I still have his dancing cane and DVD and use it when I can. YouTube still has the demo up for you all to see how he handled the cane.
I've been training these cards since they were small.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
That made me go and look at the video, hop he's OK....
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
The Dancing Cane 101 is probably one of the best DVD's I've ever seen on learning the cane. I was fortunate to run across a second hand copy.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Dave is alive and well. I will see to it that he sees this thread.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Butterfingerz
View Profile
New user
Sevierville, TN
1 Post

Profile of Butterfingerz
My first Magic shop job, and what got me into it was when I worked for his son in exchange for some lessons and discounts. Did a few days on at his shop in Gatlinburg. Haven't seen him in six years or so.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I'm good friends with him. I'll check up on him when I'm in TN soon.
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
Great Dancing Cane
Hope he is well
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I never liked the Dancing Cane effect. David Mann's instantly changed my mind. Kudos to David for such a well thought-out choreographed routine. David is obviously the master of this effect.

(Thank you Google and youTube.)
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I wanted to update you guys on my recent trip to TN a couple weeks ago.

My grandson was born on January 14th. I stayed in Crossville for a day and a half before having to leave back to Orlando. During the course of my stay, I was with my daughter's boyfriend and we were grocery shopping at Walmart when he introduced me to a young man who was "into magic". We started talking and after several minutes, I actually was pretty impressed on how much this kid knew. When I asked him if he had a mentor he said, Yeah, Dave Mann." My jaw dropped since I haven't spoken to Dave in quite some time. I asked him if he was still living in TN and he said yes. He even gave me Dave's number and told me where he lived so I drove over to see him literally hours before heading back to FL.

Well, when I got there, he and his wife were not expecting me but graciously opened their doors to me and we were reunited again as old friends. Guys, Dave isn't doing too well. He has had a LOT to deal with health-wise and its mainly due to an incident in the magic community. A very WELL known stage magician in the magic world had agreed to do a project with Dave and basically wound up not holding his end up. He took Dave's ideas and had an item manufactured before Dave could release it on his own and basically left Dave hanging out to dry. It ****es me off because I grew up watching this guy on TV and he has achieved success and here Dave is, trying to make a name for himself, trusting this guy to do the right thing and gets stuck with NOTHING!

Well...after two heart attacks and a TON of stress, it looks like it's finally starting to take it's toll on my good friend as well as his wife. And it sucks too because they are both very kind people. I remember when Dave had his magic shop in Gatlinburg, he would let me work the shop and make some extra cash whenever I was in town. I don't think I've ever met anyone that has been that gracious.

After Dave told me everything that had happened to him in the last 5-7 years, I also let him know that while he might not see it, he has inspired a LOT of magicians around the world with his DVD and his knowledge and more importantly, had been a HUGE part of my life growing up. Thanks to Dave, I was able to know the classics of magic and understand it's history. His stories of the old days and not being afraid to let me know when I was screwing up is what made me, in all honesty, a better performer.

Please keep him in your thoughts. I only wish he knew how much his magic friends really do care for him.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
That's a shame, hope things work out.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
I agree with all the good woords people are saying on this thread! I had great experiences with Dave Mann and Precision Magic.

I have 1 of his fantastic hot rods, the best I have ever seen, and the best magnetic S&S I have ever had used.

I just wish I bought a bushel of each when they were still available!

I wish him really well!

Nick
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I just noticed this topic and thought you should know David has a Facebook page. Smile

If you are wanting to contact him Click Here!

Hope this helps. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Gentlemen,

I am VERY happy to announce that my good friend David Mann has decided to make the move to Orlando and work with us at Theatre Magic inside Universal Studios!

If any of you have followed David, you will know that his Dancing Cane 101 DVD has pretty much become the standard in our industry and the owner of our company has asked David to head up our new Wonderwand division. Along with working with us, David will also be re-releasing his magic effects along with all new branding. Both he and I are EXTREMELY excited about his "resurgence" into the magic world. We are lucky to have a man of his caliber on board and only great things await for us!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Whatever happened to Dave Mann from Precision Magic? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL