The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Electronics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know as little about electronics as a Blaine style street magician knows about performing. Sad I know. My knowledge consist of OHM is what whackos who think they are spiritual like to chant and that a resister is a girl who doenst get a second date.

As part of a test for a training class as an instrument tech they will be asking basic elecronic questions like what an ohm is I guess. Is there a term for electronic oe elecrican (ib think that is different) that I should look up or a book out there for morons like me?
I tried under tests for tech school and didn't find antyhing.

I also have to sharpen my algebra and calculas skiils.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I don't know why you are doing this. Why not focus on what you already know.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What kinds of things are they going to ask?
? Electronics - as in Wheatsone Bridge? How to use a V/O/M meter? How to identify the ground in a circuit? Resistance verus Reluctance? - DC vs AC power sources? -
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ac wa invented by Tesla and dc by Edison and AC/DC by Angus Young. That is all I know.

Slide, what you said makes sense because I was very good at what I did and do. The problem is I am too experienced and companies think I will just get board and jump ship. Also I do not agree with the mean spiritness management has toward the work force. Most important my disability has worsened and I no longer can walk a million sq foot distribition center or climb stairs well. While I have resisted it I have been classified dissabled, in my opinion I just walk very slow because my dang feet don't bend right.

Training gives me something to do rather that sitting alone resisting bothering Danny Doyle and missing my wife. Besides I enjoy learning new things. I figure I will learn computer science in college (come on voucher) or secondary do this course on instrment tech and work at Pumpkin Hollow, the collest named mine ever. Oh, int techs make twice what a distribution manager does and if killed at work you are already buried.

Any other questions or advice?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Yes. What I said before. Why don't you do what you already know: magic.
Magic_engineer
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
66 Posts

Profile of Magic_engineer
MagicSanta
Here is a link to the navy textbooks on electricity and electronics.

http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

These are pretty good and free
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3480 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
There are also Electronics for Dummies and Electronics Made Easy type books.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Get the U.G.L.Y.'s book.
You will also be getting the course program material as part
of your studies. Don't be overly concerned with some of the
specifics, but it is something that you should familiarize yourself
with on a basic level, to insure that it is your cup of tea.

Electronics is my Forte'. I can help you there as well buddy!
Signed,
Brother of I.B.E.W., L.U. 640 Phoenix, Arizona
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you. I will check out the library. I really know nothing, they say they will teach it if I go thatbroute but I need to be top 20 to get the course.

Slide when I move to a more populated area I will do magic. There is a very good magician who worked for Mark and Jinger in Reno and he charges $45 for his show. Just can't make a living here doing magic....though I am the best in the county. A county with an adjustd 2wd 7nmploymnt rate, or what the powers that be call 'less than 10%' since you are only unemployed if getting a check.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I loaded some of the navy stuff like the glossary. I don't underatand the other stff. Magic Engineer, I used to go to Wilmington Mass, I worked for Analog Devices.

Devious, what is/are U.G.L.Y.?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The electronics stuff is complex. Dang.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I learned what I know about electronics by putting together simple projects from various books from Radio Shack, etc. Later, during college, I took semi-advanced courses in electronics, such as Networks, but they were more to tech me how to analyze mechanical systems, and not how to design electronics.

If I were beginning a new career, I wouldn't hesitate to go into electronics of some sort.

I hope everything works out for you!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Steve,

There are so many ways to make money from magic regardless of where you live: you can give skype magic lessons, you can create routines and sell them to the magic community. It seems to be rather cheap where you live. How many students would you need to make a living teaching magic via skype? Got to use your imagination.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
As an entrepreneur, I've have never understood the notion of putting yourself at the mercy of an employer. Steve, you have everything you need right now to make a good 6 figure income doing magic. After all the years of study, countless books bought, the years you've spent on online forums talking magic....you finally have an opportunity to follow your passion and you pass it by?

You are not going to be happy doing electronics, learning programming, picking up another trade, never. You will be happy following your passion. Here are just some ideas:

1. Start an invitation only online discussion group and limit it to 500 people who are hand selected. Charge them $20 a month to join. bang: you are making $120k a year.
2. Do skype lessons: Charge $50 a lesson.
3. Write a PDF book and sell it online.
4. Perform when you can
5. Teach local classes on magic. Must be some kids or adults near you that want to learn.
6. Get off your butt, stop posting on online forums such as this, and start making things happen in your life.

There is a lot of things you can do. I know this: If I was in your situation I would not be wasting a second on an online forum chatting away. I'd spend every waking hour making my dreams come true. I guess what I'm saying is: quit complaining, get motivated and JUST DO IT. Or just lay down and die.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Slide has good advice.

In a few months you'll be wishing you choose something else.
start your own home biz doing what you know.
it's really the only way to go.
It takes about a year to get rolling, and once it starts
things only get better.
always.

what do you know?
what do you like to do?
can you craft?
are you an artist?
what can you do.
what did you do in the past.
you say you are overqualified
I say your not and you can apply that
to your home biz.

we can point you a path,
but you must decide to either sit get Wasted, Die
or walk that path get wasted, Live and have fun doing it.
your decision

there a millions of people wanting to spend their $$$

It takes money to make money Santa.
a small invest can return big in a few years.
Magic_engineer
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
66 Posts

Profile of Magic_engineer
MagicSanta,
Did you work at Analog Devices as a technician? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the math or what you didn't do, focus on what you did. I went to MIT, but learned much of what got me ahead in my career from a technician with 20 years experience at my first job. I listened, watched, tried and asked questions - much like how you become a good magician. I suggest this is what you can promise a potential employer, the ability to learn and the willingness to work. I wish you success in all.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If you went to MIT you know Ray Stata, he was my boss. I ran distri bution on the West Coast for Analog. This test will have basics like what an OHM
is, basic.

Some of you do not realize that I am in a rural area. I saw ten times as many wild mustangs yesterday than people. Apple Computer has more people in Cupertinos facility than we have in the county. There is no making a living here doing magic. When I move I will let you know.

I like working for a company, less headaches.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Which is why I gave you a number of ideas where geographic location is irrelevant. Oh well. Good luck with the job search.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
There are some people who are just supposed to be laborers for others.
hope all works out for you.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Octo I have never been a laboror, someone has to carry hod just not me. Not everyone wants to run their own business, in fact that is an impossibility. If you wish to discuss international law as it relates to trade I am your guy. Want advice on licensing a tech plant to move it to Hungary I can do that to. I have no desire to own a company, I have no desire to be on TV, none of that. I did consulting befor and getting paid is a hassle.

Please tell me what it is you do. I am always facinated by those who work for no one

Slide,
What do I know? International trade
Craft? None
Artistic? I write
What am I good at? Looking at companies people started up, review them, tell them what is wrong with it, have the analysis ignored then not get paid since so many small business people just don't like working for others and as long as they think they are doing well they are happy.

Again I am in an area that has no international business (stupid by the way, to have a product and not export) and is cattle and hay oriented. I moved here so I could more easily care for my wife. She has been dead a month so **** you if I am trying to figure out what to do now that she is gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Electronics (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL