The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My latest startup turns 2 today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I launched my latest company August 1st, 2010.

I took a risk when I started this latest venture as I didn't know if I would have any customers or not. Each month it grew more and more and the revenue doubled over the last 12 months. Today I have over 400 clients representing over 300 top brands such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Groupon, Lands' End, L..L. Bean, Amazon, Audible, REI and many many more.

I started with about $5k investment.

Those of you who have entreprreneurial leanings, I urge you to start your own thing. The risk is there but what isn't a risk these day. But the rewards are ever so sweet!!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Well, obviously you didn't build that, someone else made that happen.

But congrats!!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
In my case that is true. My clients are a big part of my success. Without them, I'd have nothing.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Lol! True. Having customers does go a long way in the success of a business.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Yeah, I know...it sounds like a funny line. But in my case, more true than most. I run a community site for business professionals. A big part of that is the discussion groups I run, much like the Café. If no one posted or shared information, that would be all she wrote. But in my case, I've created a special (and safe) environment that they feel they can share information with the group.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Good deal. Here's to two more years and beyond!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Did you start a business or an on line community?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Did you start a business or an on line community?"

Both Santa. An online community is a business.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was trying to figure out if you sold a product or something. So you have members of your site that are employed by the companies mentioned. I gotcha. Some of the terms you uses are interesting bit I can see why.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Used to have a friend who had an incredibly successful online business, but her husband got it all in the divorce. Ironic, because the business was geared towards women.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-08-01 19:06, Slide wrote:
"Did you start a business or an on line community?"

Both Santa. An online community is a business.

You "found a need, and filled that need".

FANTASTIC!!!!

You have crossed a serious threshold for success. Nice to see people get out there take advantage of their own intelligence guided by experience and make something happen. THAT is inspirational!

Takes guts and brains. You showed both, and hopefully are rewarded accordingly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I was trying to figure out if you sold a product or something."

My last company I sold a "product", in fact we are still selling that product. It is the leading product in its category. But when I left THAT company (which I had founded in 2003) I was looking for something that would take up less time and make me a good living. Online communities are great for that. I can run it from anywhere, it has almost no overhead, it is a recurring revenue model (everyone is on auto-renew) and every month I've netted more members than the month before (I've never had a losing month in the last 24).

Danny, I've definitely been rewarded. It is a glorious life.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What is the web site. I know people at amazon and apple, rei too, interested in their opinions.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Santa,

Membership is by invitation only.

It is actually part of the draw. Each member has been personally vetted by me and all members have to be recommended by someone else on the list. We don't allow any sales people on.

Think Fight Club. That is basically my marketing strategy. If you don't know about it, you aren't supposed to know about it. It is one of the reasons people are so open and honest and help their peers.

What I've done is create a safe environment for people to speak freely, and then I invited the right people to participate. That's is why they pay their $20 a month.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2012-08-01 16:18, Marlin1894 wrote:
Well, obviously you didn't build that, someone else made that happen.

But congrats!!

Well, Obviously you are misqoting the President.

Look up the real quote , if you don't know it.

Because this is exactly what he was talking about. I congratulate Slide on his success, but he is using :

The internet (developed by tax dollars)

Probably - opensource software (developed by someone else)

and other infrastructure and resources made by others.

The true context of that qoute is easy . No man is an Island.

If you think you are , you are bat crap nuts.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
That is true. I use the internet and open source CMS software called Joomla, although I have paid for a lot of custom development. I haven't read Obama's quote but have heard it parroted back out of context a number of times since he made it. Probably not his best quote if it could be taken so out of context.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 14:26, Slide wrote:
Membership is by invitation only.

It is actually part of the draw. Each member has been personally vetted by me and all members have to be recommended by someone else on the list. We don't allow any sales people on.

Think Fight Club. That is basically my marketing strategy. If you don't know about it, you aren't supposed to know about it. It is one of the reasons people are so open and honest and help their peers.

What I've done is create a safe environment for people to speak freely, and then I invited the right people to participate. That's is why they pay their $20 a month.

If this is a place for industry participants and competitors to discuss... stuff... then it could be interesting from an antitrust perspective. It's unlikely you'll run afoul of antitrust laws just by providing a forum, Slide, but... just, interesting.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know exactly what you have going and as someone who reads between lines very well I didn't have any problems figuring it out. I also know that amazon and others will fire employees for posting certain things and you know it as wee thus why you said 'safely'.

I was fishing for the response you gave. I so love being right.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Mobility,

I have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously. Anti-trust? Smile

Santa, I'm not sure what lines you were reading between. I think I was pretty straight forward. I'm going to read between the lines now and guess that you haven't a clue what I do. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tax dollars developed the internet? I did not know that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My latest startup turns 2 today (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL