The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sportsmanlike (?) dumping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 03:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
What's stupid is is your argument.

You've obviously never played any competitive sports.


I absolutely love posts like this! They are so self-negating that it surprises me people make the effort to write them.

If I had a nickel for every time someone writes, "you don't know what you're talking about" (or variations thereof), I'd buy the Magic Café from Steve Brooks and turn it into a real bar. I'd put it right next to Magic Castle and we'd compete head-to-head. But instead of suits and ties and uppity atmosphere, we'd have more of a Hooter's sort of thing going. But, you know, with vegan wings for dudes like Lobo.

Hey, it's MY dream, so don't ridicule it.

What a stupid idea.
You've obviously never managed a bar before. Smile
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 03:37, Ray Tupper. wrote:

What a stupid idea.
You've obviously never managed a bar before. Smile


LOL!
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 01:56, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 00:03, motown wrote:
So, it's the organizer fault that teams purposely tried to lose.

That make's no sense.

It makes more sense that sticking that apostrophe in "makes".

;)



"than"

Someone's gotta watch the watchman. Smile

I agree with the stupid, short-sighted rule argument. However, the rules are the rules.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 04:39, spatlind wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 01:56, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 00:03, motown wrote:
So, it's the organizer fault that teams purposely tried to lose.

That make's no sense.

It makes more sense that sticking that apostrophe in "makes".

;)

"than"

Someone's gotta watch the watchman. Smile

Touché!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 03:32, stoneunhinged wrote:
. . . get off your high horse and stop telling people they're stupid.

I know something about horses, both high ones and the other kind.

;)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yeah, but what do you know about competitions involving horses?

Oh wait. You *do* know something about that.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 10:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
Yeah, but what do you know about competitions involving horses?

Oh wait. You *do* know something about that.

Just a smidge.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Legend has it that the founder of the modern Olympics got the idea from Highland Games competitions. That means my sport is the only real sport, and all others are stupid Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Critter, I am a hammer thrower, which is the real essence of the highland games. The strength stuff is only for those not light enough on their feet for the hammer. And I can say that, because being a hammer thrower, I can probably run away faster than you can catch me!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My specialties are caber (throwing rocks) and stone put (throwing rocks) Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 01:37, S2000magician wrote:
Are we really going to get into a discussion of which sports belong in the Olympics based solely on . . . what? . . . the number of calories burned per minute?

No - I was only ribbing you.

But on a serious note, there are far too many sports in the Olympics in my view. I think the whole thing could be simplified. One racket sport instead of three, one wrestling discipline instead of three, etc. And get rid of the stupid sports like beach vollyball (only included for the obvious reason), ping pong, pairs diving, etc. And get rid of the sports that only one or two countries play to a sufficiently high level to make them competitive. For instance America has one thirteen out of sixteen titles at mens basketball and six out of eight at women's. Why keep up the charade? It is not an international sport, so drop it from the schedule.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 11:17, TonyB2009 wrote:
And get rid of the sports that only one or two countries play to a sufficiently high level to make them competitive. For instance America has one thirteen out of sixteen titles at mens basketball and six out of eight at women's. Why keep up the charade?


For moments like the 1980 hockey final.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 11:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 11:17, TonyB2009 wrote:
And get rid of the sports that only one or two countries play to a sufficiently high level to make them competitive. For instance America has one thirteen out of sixteen titles at mens basketball and six out of eight at women's. Why keep up the charade?


For moments like the 1980 hockey final.


Excellent point. I still get goosebumps remembering it.

I'm gonna check YouTube to see if there's a clip of the end of the game.

EDIT:

Here's the best-quality clip I could find. Man, it still brings tears to my eyes, I swear to God.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't see no clip, dude.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Hm.

It's like me and email attachments. I always forget to attach the attachment the first time.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfD134ED54&feature=related
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Every single Prof I've ever had does the same thing with the emails. Always the first one with the message, and then a second that says "Oops" with the attachment Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
What can I say, critter? It makes me feel better that I have company in my absent-mindedness.

Mind you--it does say something about us academic types. We're not "all there" in all ways. aces would surely agree. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm all there. That is, I'm all there here. At school. That is.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I agree with S2000magician regarding the issue here at hand but for a different reason. I feel that they are perfectly fine in trying to shift their position or whatever. And I also feel that things tend to work themselves out in these situations anyways, sometimes in surprising ways (which is one of the greatest things about sports). There is no guarantee that they will defeat the desired opponent, viewed as inferior, and eventually they will be playing up against the best anyways. I feel it is blown up out of proportion. But I gave my general opinion previously and am not watching ("pah" imagine me spitting on the ground for emphasis).

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 01:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 01:11, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 01:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Not much different than any NFL playoff team sitting its starters in the last week(s) of the season if it doesn't affect their playoff seed.


Big differnce. The nonstarters are playing their hearts out trying to win. They are not throwing a game. I hope you see the difference. They don't let the other team win. That is the difference.

Seriously Lobo have you ever competed in any competitive sports or games of any kind? Not a trick question. Just wondering because if you did I cannot see how you could condone this type of behavior if you have anysort of competitive blood in you. I wonder who is responsible for the decision for these players do to this. I find it hard to believe they themselves decided on this, but rather the coaches or possibly even higher up, but that is ony speculation on my part.


The players may be, but the coach is CERTAINLY not trying to win (in the NFL example). It's not a matter of condoning the behavior; it's a matter of assigning what I think is the primary blame. It's asinine, and easily avoidable, to set up a format where teams have a powerful incentive to lose on purpose. Those teams never should have been in that position in the first place. Even if everybody had played as hard as possible, the format could have easily resulted in the second-best team not medaling, and a team that lost to them getting a medal after being rewarded for their loss. The situation leading up to what happened was just totally stupid.

And yes, I have.


To your "Yes I have "respnse let me ask have you ever took a dive in your sporting career? If not. Would you? Of course I am not talking about your family being held hoage by the mob and they are going to kill them all if you win. Smile To much television.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sportsmanlike (?) dumping (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL