The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My first children's show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and confirmed the date of my first children's show. I've been putting it off for practice but we finally are set to go. It's coming up on the 15th. This will be a free show for a teacher friend of mine's classroom who is also going to book me for her own paid birthday party this October. The kids are 3-5.

Nervous! This will be good though because I have my first paid children's birthday party coming up this month too; so this will help me work out my act a little before that.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions around here Smile

I'll be filming too so I can critique myself. I'll post some links if any of them are worth it. Smile
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Great!

Good Luck. That's a great age to perform for. Be one of them and HAVE FUN!

You're going to do great!

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Thanks Wolly!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Best of luck.

-Mary Mowder
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Have fun and let the kids lead you and show you how they want each routine to go. Be prepared to drop some material because you'll probably find out that everything takes much longer when you have an enthusiastic crowd.

Wishing you all the best with it, can't wait to hear how it went.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Good luck preston
todd
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Preston;

Good Luck, I remember my first show, that was also a free show at my church; it was for a three to five year old group so little mistakes I made were not noticeable.

I was also nervous about it, but it went very well; I learned a lot from it and have been going full blast ever since.

Next you will be buying a Magic Bus; it’s great for kids shows
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Thanks everybody Smile

Kimmo- Thanks for the suggestion.

Howie- A magic bus, eh? I've got to Google that.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Veteran user
It's a shame he's only made
379 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Let us know how things turn out!!
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Looking forward to seeing the videos... Good Luck
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Preston, a word of caution; don't use fire in a kids show

My opinion only; the caution is not in any book that I know of
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

No fire, check.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Correct, I mention it because I see you use fire in your Avatar on the café.

Setting the home on fire and the TV reporters holding microphones in your face in front of a burning house asking embarrassing questions about how the trick went wrong, as firemen in the background work on dousing the flames will curtail future repeat bookings.

You will also find it almost impossible to get paid for the show
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Haha! My future career goes up in smoke.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Well, it went pretty awesome! I might have forgot a line or two, and I did mess up a trick- but it was cool because I was able to play it off and nobody knew I even messed up. I'll post the video here later for you all to critique.

Thank you so much for all your tips and encouragement!
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Good Job!!
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
Glad to hear it went well. Great Job. Looking forward to seeing the video.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

So it turns out the director of the school was really impressed with the show and wants to hire me back for a family night that they have. And several of the parents were asking my friend about the magician their children were telling them about and getting my business cards.

Here's a link to the show. It's 44 minutes. I uploaded it in its entirety so people could critique the whole thing including flow. Let me know what you think. Smile

http://youtu.be/oOiEqnzSSZw
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well, considering that was your first ever kid's show....pretty good. You had some laughs, but I would definetly try to get MORE.

the coloring-book....if you really WORK that prop you can have the kids in tears of mirth!

The liquid-in-newspaper.... forget to insert the cup, then after pouring the liquid (with the cup in plain veiw) talk about the liquid now being in the cup in the paper, and play the reactions for all theyre worth!

The crystal tube....you can have some fun pushing in the silks, all the while unknowingly pushing OUT the ones that went in first, then be all surprised that the tube is empty. And for the finale, try to catch the tied silks so that the kids can definetly see that theyre tied. I would 86 the color-changing laces, and replace them with a talking version of your crystal-tube routine.

Just my 2 cents.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My computer only played 12 minutes and 57 seconds of your act. There a lot of dead time I noticed. But I understand, it is your first show. Before you be great, you gotta be good. Before you be good, you gotta be bad. Before you be bad, you gotta try. That puts you on the right track because that was your first show.

I noticed the timing on the video read 44 minutes. I would not recommend that much time for you at the start. Try bringing it down to 30 or 20 minutes. When things are going well for you at the amount of time, next extend it to to 40 minutes.

You will have to work on more RPM (Reactions Per Minute) with your audience. The DVD "Seriously Silly Live" - David Kaye can surely help you in that area. For example there were no reactions from the kids as you loaded the silk in the Crystal Tube. For that age group I suggest you play no music. Pick up each silk and ask, "What color is this this one?" as you load the silk. Use only three because four is taking away too much time. I agree with The Mighty Fool, catch the silks as they come out. It seems like nothing happened as they fell to the floor. Also bring that routine in front of your stand as you blow them out. The kids can see it better.

With the guitar playing there were no reactions from the kids too. You might want to play the guitar in the middle of your show instead. Have the kids dance or stand up and move around as you play the guitar. Somewhere during you playing it call out "Freeze". This will help the kids have more of a fun time, especially because of RPM.

To me using the word "fool" in front of that type of audience is not right. I would suggest using a line similar to "...always be cool".

If that is the age audience you want to target on the most, I suggest you get the DVD "Kidshow Rockstar" - The Great Zucchini. It explains how to get more laughs from that age audience without relying on the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My first children's show! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL