The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My first children's show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks guys! Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Hi well done on your first show
the kids where so well behaved you mite find it more tricky out side the school environment
it the best place to start as you can concentrate on you show without worrying about control but shows outside of school can be more challenging.
well do again and well done being brave enough to post your first show on here Smile
Ps you could trip out your guitar to make it more fun for the kids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2d191rlI3o
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
That's funny! I have one of those sirens too. Thanks for the point about control in the school environment.
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Congrats on the first show, I agree with Dynamike get silly billy DVD. you should get the kids laughing and involved more.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Maybe we should get Mr. Lewis in here to give you a few nice tips. He did win the one most voted for people appreciating his assistance.

Just yankin ya chain buddy!
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Preston,

Since this was your first show for kids I personally think that you did really well. We all can improve our shows but I have seen many magicians with hundreds of shows under their belt and they were not as good as your show. I think that you are a very humble person and really like what you are doing. The most important thing that I see is that you are willing to learn and then apply what you have learned. There are so mnay magicians who have stopped learning because they feel they know it all. And some even think they are PROS. Keep doing what you are doing, as you are doing what is needed. Soon you will be doing more shows and from each show take something from it and try to improve on it. If you ever would like to SKYPE or Talk over the Phone I would be more than happy to help out. Just PM me and we can set someting up.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Wow Rodney, thank you so much for the kind words- they are much appreciated. I will definitely keep that offer in mind and will probably take you up on it.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Is it the norm for most North American magicians to start their shows with 4 minutes of silent magic? I've read of several here over the years that do that. Just askin is all.I'm really in two minds about it myself. I certainly don't.

Of course using music and rhymes to spell out the rules is novel, however I'm not sure it's the best way. Does a group of 4 year olds need the rules spelt out to them? I only think that if they are bored out of their wits, then maybe they will give some trouble otherwise I don't see the need if your show is flowing along and keeping their attention.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
To answer both questions: I really have no idea, that's just what I chose to do. The magic to music had them captivated and got good reactions- they really liked it. The rules song also seemed to work well for me. Part of it was just them seeing me be silly and they took to it and liked it. I plan to continue using it but might change it and get them more involved with it.

I don't know that there is a best way to entertain people. Different ways of course, but we all get to be creative and try whatever we want and see what works. That's what makes this so much fun- for me anyway.

Thanks for the comments; it's all food for thought.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Thanks for your answer Preston. Hey, I play guitar and have recently bought a UKE I hope to use in my show someway.

As for the starting out with magic to music, I'm just not sure. I have many warm up gags and ways of getting the kids into the show and used to my character. I use comedy and interaction with them first up and when I feel they are ready I have a trick where I need a helper. When they all put up their hands to help is when I let them know the rules for getting to be a helper, and the ground rules for my show. All done in a very funny way. (At least I think so anyway)
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
That's a great idea. I may try that method as a segue to telling the rules for my show. Very natural flow to that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My first children's show! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL