We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Political Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
I was wondering if there are any specific routines marketed that deal with politics or anything to do with government or political parties. If not, does anyone have any ideas for effects that you could add some political patter to? The reason I ask is because I may be doing some magic at a local fundraiser soon. I know I can probably come up with some patter about taxes to go along with a coin/money routine. Any ideas?
A. Mark Wilson
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4712 Posts

Profile of landmark
1) Cut and Restored Dollar Bills (can be found in some Bill Severn books or PM me if you don't know a method) has a nice potential to talk about how your money is now worth half it's value (cut the bills in half) due to inflation and wage cuts, but if they elect ME (or put your favorite politician here), your money will come back to it's original worth! (restore the bills)

2) Out of This World--but instead of separating Red and Black, spectator separates Republicans and Democrats.

3) If you have an Iraq War card deck with Saddam Hussein in it, you'll find they work very well with Neil Tobin's Xpert device. Using this you can show the cards all different, spread the cards face down and have the spectator mark the back of one card with an X in permanent marker. You turn the deck over, find the one Saddam Hussein card, and then turn it over to show that the spec did better than Bush-- he got him! Sure enough on the back of the Hussein card is the X--and it's the ONLY card with the X (this idea is Jamie Badman's).

Maybe these ideas will get you started,
Jack Shalom
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Riffle the deck in your right hand - out at arm's length (one handed, just run your thumb down the side of the deck). Call it a Republican shuffle.

Do the same in the left hand and call it the democratic shuffle.

Vanish something and reproduce it from under your chair (you must be sitting for this). "That was more painful to pass than the latest appropriation for health care!"

When doing card on ceiling, look up and say, "Now that's about as high as the budget defecit is right now..."

For the Brits, produce two purple sponge balls and comment about Prince Charles having left something behind when Camilla was last here. (Adults only, please!)

Hope these help!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Okay, two ideas that I don't use enough because I just don't get hired to do these parties:

One, Take a PomPopm Pole. Lose the ponpom, and replace with the following:

Right top, a plastic jumbo coin
Left top, a Union 76 antenna ball
Right bottom, a styrofoam container from McDonalds
Left bottom, A package of Planter's Peanuts and a pack of Camels cigarettes.

This was written in the 80's,so it will take some updating. If you don't know what a McDLT was, ask an old guy with heart problems.

"Ladies and gentlemen, a demonstration of the inner secrets--secrets being my stock in trade--of the American Economic system. Economics is simple, really, especially with this visual aid I've prepared. This should clear things right up.

The value of the dollar, represented here by the large coin, rises and falls depending on the state of American industry. American industry beign represneted here by that triumph of American technology, the Mc DLT. It keeps the Hot side Hot, and the Cool side Cool, How do it do that? Boy, the Russians are kicking themselves over this one.

As I was saying, the value of the dollar is linked to the success of American Industry, but unfortunately, they are both tied to the rise and fall of the price of oil, repesented here by the 76 ball. Unfortunately, the rise and fall of the price of oil is linked to the situation in the Arab states, represented here by the pack of camels and the bag of nuts."

That's the politically incorrect premise, you carry on about how everything's connected, but if it is, then..." You do it all again, only faster. Finally, you show that there's really no connection at all.

Good luck, play safe, kids.

The second idea is a presentation for the judy mouse, which I gaffed to work as a ringflite. Why, I don't know. I thought it was the oddest combination, but now someone's marketing it. Weird minds think alike.

"This is the new addition to my show. She's not really part of the cast, yet, just interning. Her name is Monica, Monica Lewiskers. She's a mouse, not a rat. She had a friend who was a rat, wore a wire and everything...."

It seems Monica had a strange ability to cause married men to lose their wedding rings, and...you get the idea.

Finally, I used this just the other day, but its 15 minutes are just about up, Use any of the "moving hole" effects to explain the voting fiasco in Florida.

Use any of the above, at your own risk.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
Thanks for the ideas everyone. The moving hole effect sounds like it would be funny. You could make up your own ballot with the candidates and move the "punched hole" around from person to person.
A. Mark Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Political Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL