The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Aging animal trap (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lambo
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Lambo
HI everyone,

I am wondering is there a way to age the plated version of the animal trap.thanks.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Dig deep. There's gold there in them hills....
Lambo
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Lambo
I have searched all through but most say get one before plating...however I did read about painting one?anyone have pics of this method?.thanks.
David95
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of David95
Dip in muratic acid, you can get this at Lowes or Home Depot. It will eat the plating off of bolts and hinges. Haven't tried on traps but I'll bet it would work.
David
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Are you in the USA or UK?

Also it would be nice to know about you befor we just start tipping stuff .......?

But like Harley said Welcome.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I "aged" my traps by lightly...............very lightly....... spraying them with flat black and flat brown spray paint. I did 2 quick passes over the traps with the brown and one with the black. Don't forget the chain and ring on the trap.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Tie them to the bumper of a wedding limo. You may need to grease the chauffer's palm. I personally had 25 tied to the back of my wedding limo. It's strange.........maybe that's why we got divorced Smile

But, the spray paint sounds like a good choice. Don't know much about the acid solution. In theory sounds like it would work, just curious if it does anything to the structural integrity itself (ie springs). Also I hear lots of people have bad experiences with acid. There was a whole tent set up for it at woodstock.

All in all though you can just pick up used traps on ebay, got a box of 12 for like $15 bucks when I got mine. No aging necessary. They've got stories to tell already!
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I bought a plated trap, cuz I didn't have time to wait for one from ebay.

I used matte bronze-ish, matte black, and red spray paint to age it. I held the can far enough away so that it just laid down speckling of paint, alternating between colors. I applied several layers, and then spray sealed it.

If you can find a better rust-colored base, you probably don't need the red.

Click here to view attached image.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Mick Hanzlic aged his seance cuffs by sticking the in the "back yard" for a few days.

You could try this ......

Pile some in the washing machine add some wire wool and turn it on. Of course this could result in divorce as well as ageing of traps. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 15:47, Stephon wrote:
I bought a plated trap, cuz I didn't have time to wait for one from ebay.

I used matte bronze-ish, matte black, and red spray paint to age it. I held the can far enough away so that it just laid down speckling of paint, alternating between colors. I applied several layers, and then spray sealed it.

If you can find a better rust-colored base, you probably don't need the red.

You cheat! I bet you bought an old one on eBay then posted the picture claiming to have aged it to make yourself look really good!

It is really good!!!
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I do also recall on one of those home shows, seeing someone do something with a Petina Kit or something like that. Don't know much about it, just remembered. Good luck though.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 15:50, dave_matkin wrote:
It is really good!!!

Thanks, Dave. Now, if I could just come up with a routine I thought was really good to go with it...
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
The trap ..... Or the ageing process? If its the latter your goin to need a patient audience Smile
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
The internets have this thing called google. It's pretty terrific if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=23
Lambo
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Lambo
Thanks for the tips and advice...some great ides to try.

Stephon...thanks for the link it gives me a better idea.

Rotten: thanks again for the great advice...if you read above you will see I already used search features and hoped for pics or more ideas on painting.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You can also buy a batch of them on eBay, for a very reasonable price.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Zagam
View Profile
New user
Silver Spring, Maryland
64 Posts

Profile of Zagam
Quote:

Pile some in the washing machine add some wire wool and turn it on. Of course this could result in divorce as well as ageing of traps. Smile

I did something similar with a bag of glass. Bought my wife a mani/pedi so she was out of the house for a good bit. Gave me lots of time to clean up.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 22:08, Zagam wrote:
Quote:

I did something similar with a bag of glass. Bought my wife a mani/pedi so she was out of the house for a good bit. Gave me lots of time to clean up.

You do know that your glasses should go in the. Dish washer and not the washing machine?

You could have sent her out to do some chores or fech the groceries! Not at all sexest.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
To sum up (I've gone through this one enough).

1. Acid, do NOT immerse, it cleans metal. Acid will be effective in an open conatiner with metal NEXT to it. Leave in open air (well ventilated) overnight. Presto, instant rust.

2. Chlorine tablets. Same thing, throw the trap in a bucket with a few chlorine tablets (pool supply), leave overnight.

3. If you live near salt water, leave near the beach for a few days.

4. This one's nasty, but works..... bury the trap in a pile of chicken scat. A day or two later, rust. Requires lots of cleanup.

5. Commercially available patination kits. These are usually specific acids with instructions for use. There is one* at AC Moore that works nice. Repeated uses intensifies the result.

6. Find a bunch of rusty metal. Surround the trap with the rusty bits. The rust will catch and spread in a week or so (depending on humidity).

Hope this helps. I need to copy and paste this post for future reference.
TGN

*one kit I use is from Triangle Crafts, "Sophisticated Finishes" Rust Antiquing Solution. It contains Ammonium Chloride and Copper Sulphate. Nasty stuff. Paint in thin layers, letting it dry overnight between each application. Can be sealed with clear acrylic, but changes the surface appearance. I use this in a fashion similar to Ferric Chloride when etching billets of pattern laminated steel.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
What are you some kind of metal working expert or something Smile ...... I know the answer really Master Nippulini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Aging animal trap (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL