The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Your favourite book test and why... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Out of the myriad of book tests out there, if you had to take one to your grave...which would it be and why?

I'm not asking "which is best", I am honestly interested in the "why" you love one above all else...i have a lot of the 'vanilla' book tests, but am considering something else that could be seen through a glass...darkly, as it were...

from my research, the one that appeals to me the most initially is the M.R. James one via lebanon circle...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I do not own 'GH*ST', yet!
Now,it would be "Luna"! (1935) And,it is more of a document,than a book!
Why,the back story,and ease of use! PG,is a great lead into!

For,one on one,WA!
Why,for one on one!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Luna is indeed an entire ensemble piece.... and I have a huge act for it all

Gh*st and Darkspell are up there too though as genius more than a reveal book "test"....

I'd say all of these are no longer considered book tests at all - they have transcended flashback and the like... they are metanarrative portals
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
May be biased, but my choice would be the one I told you about at Tabla in Hitchen last year.
It's almost ready after nearly 3 years of work.

One person who's seen it called it Luna on steroids.

Steve
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Phantoms! Just a feeling. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Luna '34. I had an act based around a haunted key. Once I obtained the Luna trilogy, it became my muse to rewrite my entire act, which is now based around haunted artifacts recovered from CHMH during its renovations. For whatever reason, I started w/ '34, and have stuck with that more than the others in the trilogy.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
917 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Can you class any Outlaw book a book test ? As has been mentioned its more of a whole show in book form.

If we are counting these I must say I have such flexibility in my D.S which I love above and beyond any other item in this genre.

It gives as many other similar books a base to take the performance and routine beyond what is
a, Written in the pages of the book &
b, What is written and described in the performance notes.

Well this is my observation.

Dr Rob
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, I've spent a lot of time thinking about word/book tests...and I have a real love/hate relationship with them...

I had my own which was any real paperback, any page, any line, any word...i even designed and printed professionally my own jekyll and hyde flashback book, and making it 99 pages for a few f**ces along the way...i bought a few standard ones, and apart from my own, the one I loved the most was Looch's AREA book test...

however, with the books some of the guys on here have released, as dr. rob has said, there is more breathing space with them, which is what is interesting me...

with that said, a single page that you have full control over, that can easily give you 20 minutes of entertainment with word reveals, remote viewing, design dupes and so on....
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
As,for the OP being on Spooky,you may get other replies,if posted on 'Penny" or other forums!
You may get the reply of "MOAB",on another forum! But,not here! Smile
I would like to see replies as of "FAV's",on another forum!
Be nice to see,if they are the same,as here!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
On 2012-08-05 17:52, steveline wrote:
May be biased, but my choice would be the one I told you about at Tabla in Hitchen last year.
It's almost ready after nearly 3 years of work.

One person who's seen it called it Luna on steroids.

Steve

Would love to see a performance video if this Steve
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
And I also agree that All these books listed above are really more than a 'book test'. however, my favourtite would be between Ghost, Darkspell and Li*lia*s Dia*y. And maybe WA too for private 1 on 1 readings.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
658 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Darkspell is great... it is a great lead in to a series of other effects; living and dead tests, tarot effects and much more.
http://www.mediumarts.ca: Psychic Entertainment & Contemporary Art
andreas
View Profile
New user
Germany (Leverkusen)
29 Posts

Profile of andreas
I really love the CSI-Booktest, described in 120% Chestosterone.
Because you can use any book you like.
So it is possible to use your own "dark" book, or borrow one from the spectator.

A short story about this.
My wife and I were invited by a friend of her. And at some point of our conversation, we talked about palm reading, tarot, etc and she showed me a tarot-book, she was very interested in.
So I started my experiment (incl. a short cold reading). She opend up the book (no force) and memorized the pagenumber and the tarot card which was described. After this she closed the book and I was able to name the page, and the card (which -of course- I picked from the deck). At this page, she has underlined some words. So as an additional bonus, I could name three of the underlined words. It was great to play with that words because of this, I knew, that the words are somehow important to her. It was a great reaction!!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
The book test I would take to my grave is my version of My Word in 13 Steps. It can be done a million different ways and can involve several people from the audience.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I'm surprised nobody mentione WA and Ips****

I use Ips*** most because of the story line, but I did treat myself to L2na recently and the mechanism is mostly similar - just need time to learn the routine.

WA is much more than a book test, and incorporates a whole reading system far beyond the "trick".

As I say, I use both of these regularly, yet neither look like a mentalism BT in the standard sense.
Steve
[
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Thanks Steve for the mention!

I have to say that Gh*st by Prof BC is simply amazing. It is my favorite so far.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Docsteve,thanks for calling me and Mind Illusionist,nobodies! lol
Very first post,after OP!

We mentioned 'WA',on our post! Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks everyone...really appreciate the feedback/opinions...i shall make my decision later this week...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 15:31, Godzilla wrote:
Docsteve,thanks for calling me and Mind Illusionist,nobodies! lol
Very first post,after OP!

We mentioned 'WA',on our post! Smile

:blush: !

I thought you were just saying "Wah" - like the knights.

"Ni"!!
[
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
^ LOL ^
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Your favourite book test and why... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL