The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Curiousity" Landing On Mars "LIVE FEED" Tonight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I've reaqcuired my feed. Exciting News for all!
I would give my life to have been in that crater watching this land.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Higher res images are coming in.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It did come on.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Images confirm it landed on target, upright, and permilinary data shows all functions are o.k.

Curiousity is safely on Mars!
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Images received. Awesome job NASA! The folks at JPL are excited to say the least - and with very good reason.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
This is so cool. It's nice sharing the moment with you all.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Haha, did you hear that engineer yell, "Holy S++T!"?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I just did...probably the mohawk guy eh?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
When is the next chance on seeing a photo?

-Mary
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
923 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious

The Odyssey Satellite will relay images taken from Curiousity
and run the high speed relay. The next time Odyssey passes over,
uploaded images will be relayed towards Earth.

These images were relayed from Odyssey. The landing was timed
so it coincided with the orbital pass from the satellite.

The 17 cameras on NASA's Curiosity rover are capable of sending back unprecedented, jaw-dropping, full-color views of Mars — but don't expect to be wowed by the first images. In fact, they just might be literally the size of postage stamps, in black and white.

We'll have to wait for Odyssey's second orbital pass, at around 12:45 a.m. PT Sunday (3:45 a.m. ET Monday). The fisheye-view Hazcam images sent during that opportunity could be 512 pixels square or maybe even 1,024 pixels square.

Why we'll have to wait
There's a simple reason why we won't be seeing the big, beautiful pictures from the cameras built into Curiosity's mast: That mast, which rises 6.5 feet (2 meters) above the Martian surface when fully extended, won't be deployed until later in the week. First, the rover's eight Hazcams (four looking forward, four looking backward) will have to do a quick check of the surroundings.

A couple of gems could become available later Monday. For instance, there might be a picture from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, showing Curiosity and the rest of the $2.5 billion Mars Science Laboratory payload descending through the Red Planet's atmosphere. MRO was able to snap a picture of the Phoenix Mars Lander's descent in 2008, and if the orbiter captures a similar view this time around, that could be released around 9 a.m. PT (noon ET) Monday.

The first thumbnails from Curiosity's Mars Descent Imager could be released around 4 p.m. PT (7 p.m. ET) Monday. That camera, also known as MARDI, should have recorded a sequence of color frames looking down from the rover during its descent, and once they're all relayed back to Earth and put together, they'll make for a great movie.

By Wednesday, the rover could be sticking out its robotic arm to let the Mars Hand Lens Imager, or MAHLI, take a full-color picture of the ground surrounding Curiosity. The mast should be raised around this time as well. First, the navigation camera system, or Navcam, is due to send back some nice, quick black-and-white views. By Thursday, the full-color Mastcam system is expected to be sending back wide-angle and fixed-zoom images.

Star of the show
Mastcam promises to be the star of the show once the mission hits full stride: The system's right-eye camera has a telephoto lens, capable of reading the "ONE CENT" lettering on a penny on the ground beside the rover, or distinguishing between a basketball and a football at a distance of seven football fields (roughly 700 yards or meters). It's called "Mastcam 100" because of the camera lens' 100mm focal length.
Advertise |AdChoices

The left-eye camera (Mastcam 34) has a wide-angle, 34mm lens that captures a scene three times wider. It can snap 15 images in about 25 minutes to create a full-color, 360-degree panorama. Both cameras can record high-definition video at 5 frames per second, and the pictures can be combined for 3-D views.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you Barry.

-Mary
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 01:44, Devious wrote:
I just did...probably the mohawk guy eh?

Either that or the hippie dude. Did you see him holding his girlfriend's hand?
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Thanks for that info. I had to "step out" for a minute and didn't hear all of what they said about when the pictures would contimue. From what I did hear, it sounded like everything was right where they thought it would be; a perfect landing.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
We have never used this sky crane approach to any landing.
This is a first for the technology.

Here is a video of the logistics required for the landing.
It's worth your time to watch this amazingly well produced video.

Don't Miss This Video!
http://youtu.be/h2I8AoB1xgU
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Watched live online as Curiosity landed on Mars, 350 million miles away.

Have to wait 6 hours for NBC to air Olympic coverage from London, 3500 miles away.

Congratulations to NASA. Big win for them and for the world tonight.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Devious, I was thinking about the old joke we used about using a "sky hook" to hold things up.

Robert, an interesting observation. Smile
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
There is a part of me that is troubled by humans scattering junk throughout the universe. But I so admire the accomplishment and of course appreciate the enormous benefits the space program has brought.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
We will colonize Mars within the next fifty years.
This is but the prelimaries to the task and achievement.

I wish Carl Sagan was still around to see this.
@Robert Smith, totally agree.

Some would say, that we have already colonized Mars.
What say you?

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Amazing! Something we can all be rightfully proud of. Congratulations to NASA and JPL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Curiousity" Landing On Mars "LIVE FEED" Tonight (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL