The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oak Creek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
I am sure a lot of you have heard about the horrible shooting in Oak Creek yesterday. What is the world coming too? You can’t go to school, the movies, or even your place of worship, without the fear of getting killed.
I happen to live in Oak Creek. I have almost my entire life. I graduated from Oak Creek High School in 2006. It’s a great community orientated city. And something like this to happen leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
The temple is right down the street from the High School, and a few blocks away from where my father had his wedding chapel before he closed it to move to Arizona. It’s only a 5min car ride from where I live now.
I think this issue is beyond gun control. Just last year Wisconsin passed a CCW law. But I do not believe someone should have to carry a weapon into a place of worship. You are there to pray for others, be thankful for what you have in your life, and find ways to help and support the community you live in, to make it a better place for your children and the generations that come after us.
There is a much deeper issue here that needs to be sorted out. What the issue is? I am not sure, but why can’t we walk down the street, go to church, the movies, or do anything with our families without the fear of getting hurt.

Luka
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wow, so sad... Smile

RIP.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Here is a link to read about the incident

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/sik......863.html
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Andy,

All the laws on the books won't stop a man intent on killing from carrying whatever weapon he chooses anywhere he decides to go.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sikhs are cool, my wife taught at a school that was mostly Indian. They are very nice people. I think the article was a bit too heavy on the shooter beihn army which had nothing to do with the guy being a neo nazi. Sikhs don't believe in turning the other cheek so it may get interesting.

For you anti arab types Indians are not Arabs nor do Arabs werar turbins. Just knock it off with the bs. Synpathies to the families and friends of those lost.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
The suspect served in the Army from 1992-1998 at Ft Bliss in El Paso,Tx.
Interesting to note, he was in the "Psychological Operations Unit".
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 13:02, Woland wrote:
Hi Andy,

All the laws on the books won't stop a man intent on killing from carrying whatever weapon he chooses anywhere he decides to go.

It seems that I see posts like this at least every other week nowadays.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Does that make them any less true?
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 13:02, Woland wrote:
Hi Andy,

I am not saying we need to have more laws. I think the united states in general has too many rules and regulations and laws. We have regulations to regulate our regulations, and Laws about our regulations that regulate our regulations.

I am merely pointing out that something is wrong with our society as a whole. We use to be able to leave our front doors unlocked. Let our children run around the neighborhood all day during the summer, and be able to go to church without a concern.

What is the issue these days? I am not sure,

it could be the fact that in today’s world Kids barely 16 years old are having Kids. And these children of children are not raised properly. Now grow up to be a misfit in society, and lash out their anger and frustration on anyone they see fit?

It could be hate mongers like Fred Phelps, preaching hate every chance they get.

It could be psychopaths like Charles Manson who manipulate those around him and brainwash the weak minded into doing horrible deeds.

I am not saying any of this is what caused things like Columbine, Oklahoma City bombing, The batman shooting, or what just happened in my home town of Oak Creek. I am not even saying this is what is wrong with America, and I am not saying every child of a teen mother will grow up to be a murderer. I understand that Fred Phelps is practicing his first amendment right.

But something is wrong, it’s a shame that mastermindreader sees these post every other week.

Look at this article, I heard about this on my way to work this morning.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/07/3......-oakley/

Two “friends” were arguing over Xbox live and one guy gets so upset he decides to go to his friends, shoot a gun and then proceeds to stab his friend 22 times. Its XBOX LIVE, A !@#$%^& VIDEO GAME!

I am starting to believe 2012 is the end of the world as we know it…….

Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
What is this 1973 ? Teenage pregnancy and Charlie Manson are the cause of all evil?

But from your link:

"Kemp will be OK, but his friendship is likely finished."

Ya think? Actually probably not , with those two morons.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm sorry, but the fact that deranged people do ugly things - in our society or in any other society - does not mean that anything at all is wrong with our society or any other society as a whole.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I would suggest that something is VERY wrong with our society.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Naw, not a thing wrong. Keep moving ... nothing to see here...
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I'd be curious to see any credible stories (i.e. ones not sponsored by the NRA or some conservative "think" tank) with data showing the incidence of mass shootings and the ability to buy handguns. Are there more or fewer mass shootings such as we've seen here and in colorado in countries where buying guns is easier (and part of the culture) vs countries that have restrictive fire arms laws. Anyone know any?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
These horrible incidents seem more and more frequent.

I've had two very close contacts with this kind of violence in my own life and live in a community where two older Sikh gentlemen were just taking a walk and someone drove by shot and killed them.
I'm sure you can imagine the ways it changes my feelings about the community where my family has lived for generations.

It doesn't help that most popular entertainments are horribly violent and the adds for these are constantly being flashed before anyone in the room.
The callous objectifying of People and Human remains even in the adds for these shows is disgusting. It is deeply disturbing to me how many "normal" people find this stuff entertaining.
I know everyone says "It's just a show" or "It's just a game" but I don't find that so comforting.
I find it especially disturbing that I watch some of these shows (Monk, Castle, sometimes Mentalist) and have found them entertaining myself. Yet I do feel tainted and sick for finding entertainment in such fare. I KNOW it effects me. How am I to believe I am the only one?

The polarizing climate we have fallen heir to is not helping either. It's us and them everywhere I look.

I'm am heartsick at the way things seem to be going. I believe we have to stay positive to move forward but I feel like Sisyphus or an ostrich (hiding it's head) sometimes.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this latest incident. This means all of us.

-Mary Mowder
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 16:00, Pecan_Creek wrote:
What is this 1973 ? Teenage pregnancy and Charlie Manson are the cause of all evil?

But from your link:

"Kemp will be OK, but his friendship is likely finished."

Ya think? Actually probably not , with those two morons.

Read what I posted again... I was not saying any of that is a reason for what happened. I pointed out universally known subjects, that some argue are an issue in our society. I did not say or infer that they were the cause of all the evil in the world. Please don’t twist my words to imply I was saying something I was not.

As far as those two idiots, that is an example of the stupidity we now have. It seems that even in the information age, Intelligence is still a rare character trait.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know people will jump on me for even bringing TV, Movies,Books and Gaming up. I'm sure the perpetrator of this crime had other problems as well. After all, I've watched Castle etc... and I'm not a mass murderer. Still you have to admit that it does seem a little sick and it can't be helping to make our brains (and the brains of our Children) an abattoir.

-Mary Mowder
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 16:28, AndyLuka wrote:

Please don’t twist my words to imply I was saying something I was not.

Just bustin your chops man, I just thought those are such dated references that half the population has no clue what they mean.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
But, seriously Mary. Monk?

Has anyone actually read childrens stories from ages past?

Maybe the problem is that the "kids" aren't scared enough nor are the consequences of violence clearly laid out for them.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
We could blame tv, movies, permissive culture....or we could just get rid of the guns.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oak Creek (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL