The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oak Creek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

Quote:
I would suggest that something is VERY wrong with our society.

And what would that be?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
The gentleman in the video above has figured out the
"Real" reason that this event transpired. I've seen
many magicians who act like this guy. Yikes!
http://youtu.be/4uQq9lVsUk4
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Pecan_Creek,

Yes seriously, I was looking at the shows I'd enjoyed over the years and I was shocked at how many of them routinely dealt with murder as a part of the story line. I really don't need Monk, Colombo or Sherlock Holmes to solve a murder. I'd be fine with a less intense solve. Just look at the percentage of Shows about murder. It goes right by us and we cease to see how strange that is.
The T.V. stations put the most disgusting aspects in the promos so not watching is no protection from seeing bodies or hearing the piteous cries of young victims.

These shows certainly don't show the lasting consequences of violence. Heros are shot and recover before the show is over, meanwhile my partner who was shot more than ten years ago and had an almost miraculous recovery is still dealing with the pain, mobility and psychological consequences. Years later my family and friends are still suffering from the horrible loss of life from a hate crime that took two members of my family.
T.V., Movies etc... show morbid wisecracking coroners and such ad nauseam. I'm no fan of Classic Fairy tales either. What is wrong with us?

Slide, I'm not a fan of guns or how readily available they are. I can't imagine why we need to be able to get hold of assault rifles and machine guns.

-Mary Mowder
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 17:25, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob,

Quote:
I would suggest that something is VERY wrong with our society.

And what would that be?

We are a culture that glorifies violence.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Radio and web hate mongers of all stripes are inciting violence in some of the most vulnerable minds as well. These are some of the most pernicious purveyors of hate around and most of us are unaware of their messages because we never even see or hear of them.

-Mary Mowder
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Mary,

There is not a shred of evidence that the Arizona shooter or the Aurora shooter ever listened to the radio programs of which you disapprove. Don't know about this latest one yet.

Hi Bob,

It sometimes seems that way, I agree. I think that the way violence is portrayed in the movies has certainly changed since I was a boy. But I don't think we should generalize from the actions of madmen.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Growing up, I use to play with tons and tons of toy guns. My toy guys were my pride and joy. I loved cartoons and movies, like Teenage mutant ninja turtles, I loved to watch westerns, I use to make my mother take me to the library so I could get the original made for TV movies of the chronicles’ of Narnia. All of these depicted a lot of violence. That was me as a child.

This is me as an adult. I do not like guns. I will not allow a firearm into my home. I support the CCW laws. Its "typically" not the legal gun owners I have an issue with. I have fired guns before ina shooting range, and out on farm land in the country. I still like TV shows and movies with violent theme. Still to this day my all time favorite movie is Fight Club (yes its an amazing book as well). But I am not a violent person. I do not get into physical altercations. I have a clean criminal record.

Violence is a part of human history. The bible tells stories of murder, and death. It's not the violence I am worried about.

I strongly believe a lot of this has to deal with p*ss poor parenting. Too many new age alterative parenting ideas, and the fear some people have to actually hit and punish their children has gotten in the way.

Growing up my father was very strict, I maybe only had 4 or 5 spankings my entire life, but I deserved every one of them, just the sheer idea of a spanking would make me tremble. I believe that my father being who and how he is helped shape me into the person I am today.

I am not saying my father’s way was the correct way, but it worked for me, and it worked for my older brother.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 13:02, Woland wrote:
Hi Andy,

All the laws on the books won't stop a man intent on killing from carrying whatever weapon he chooses anywhere he decides to go.

Therefore, let's make sure everyone can buy an RPG without any complications! Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Did you know that one of the aides of the 1930s-40s pulp hero, The Spider, was a Sikh?
The character's name was Ram Singh.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Interesting, Andy. You're saying that hitting children is a good way of showing them that violence is not acceptable?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
The most recent FBI figures show just 358 of the 8,775 murders by firearm in 2010 involved rifles of any type. By comparison, 745 people were beaten to death with only hands that year, but no one has called for outlawing fists.

More here.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Time for a Cheryl Wheeler Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S5CabGWsv4

If it were Up To Me:

Maybe it's the movies, maybe it's the books
Maybe it's the bullets, maybe it's the real crooks
Maybe it's the drugs, maybe it's the parents
Maybe it's the colors everybody's wearin
Maybe it's the President, maybe it's the last one
Maybe it's the one before that, what he done
Maybe it's the high schools, maybe it's the teachers
Maybe it's the tattooed children in the bleachers
Maybe it's the Bible, maybe it's the lack
Maybe it's the music, maybe it's the crack
Maybe it's the hairdos, maybe it's the TV
Maybe it's the cigarettes, maybe it's the family
Maybe it's the fast food, maybe it's the news
Maybe it's divorce, maybe it's abuse
Maybe it's the lawyers, maybe it's the prisons
Maybe it's the Senators, maybe it's the system
Maybe it's the fathers, maybe it's the sons
Maybe it's the sisters, maybe it's the moms
Maybe it's the radio, maybe it's road rage
Maybe El Nino, or UV rays
Maybe it's the army, maybe it's the liquor
Maybe it's the papers, maybe the militia
Maybe it's the athletes, maybe it's the ads
Maybe it's the sports fans, maybe it's a fad
Maybe it's the magazines, maybe it's the internet
Maybe it's the lottery, maybe it's the immigrants
Maybe it's taxes, big business
Maybe it's the KKK and the skinheads
Maybe it's the communists, maybe it's the Catholics
Maybe it's the hippies, maybe it's the addicts
Maybe it's the art, maybe it's the sex
Maybe it's the homeless, maybe it's the banks
Maybe it's the clearcut, maybe it's the ozone
Maybe it's the chemicals, maybe it's the car phones
Maybe it's the fertilizer, maybe it's the nose rings
Maybe it's the end, but I know one thing.
If it were up to me, I'd take away the guns.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"The most recent FBI figures show just 358 of the 8,775 murders by firearm in 2010 involved rifles of any type. By comparison, 745 people were beaten to death with only hands that year, but no one has called for outlawing fists."

:)

Maybe it is because 8,775 people weren't killed by fists. They were killed by guns.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Mary,

I thought you meant that Monl was a violent show not that they just had one murder without really anything graphic in the beginning of every show.

Anyway , part of the problem is just a statistics thing. With more people there are more crazies. Even if only .1% of the population are murderous nut jobs, then there are going to be more murderous nutjobs.

So what we need is a good old fashioned plague! Right?

Just not until I get my vaccinations.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree that a lower population of Humans would be a good thing (for the entire planet) but I'd rather it were done by attrition (not that a plague isn't natural but I'm certainly not hoping for one) with a lower birth rate. A sudden drop in human population brings its own problems.

Use any method you want and believe in but don't have so many children. Love, raise and support the ones you have. Teach them to be fosters of the environment for all life on the planet.

But that is another subject.

There will always be crazy people. Our brains are very complicated and things can go wrong. Making guns LESS available is a GOOD idea. I don't think our forefathers ever envisioned an assault rifle. The right to keep and bear arms doesn't really spell out the right to keep and bear an arsenal. Does this right extend to explosive devices. How about nuclear weapons?

I think our right to privacy is a more serious loss.

-Mary Mowder
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Note to self. Do NOT hide at Marys when the Human Compost Squads come looking for me.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Note to ALL.

DO NOT HIDE AT MARY'S!

-Mary
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2012-08-06 13:02, Woland wrote:
Hi Andy,

All the laws on the books won't stop a man intent on killing from carrying whatever weapon he chooses anywhere he decides to go.

Woland, since people are killed in traffic accidents every day, why do we bother having stop lights?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not being a gun person I assume a long clip means you have more bullets to shoot. How many bullets are in one?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Let's not get started on clips and magazines again.

EsnRedShirt, stoplights won't stop a driver who is intent on running into you, either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oak Creek (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL