The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mars or Bolt? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
World's Fastest Human or Epic Landing on Mars?

Which one turned your crank and why?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Mars. There's a "Fastest Human" every few months...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Bolt.

He doesn't consume massive amounts of public money for "space exploration" .
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Mars. Science geek.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We may need to live on Mars one day. This has to be more important than any physical achievement of any single human. Not to belittle his feat, I am excited for him, but still, MARS.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They will pass laws prohibiting people on Mars in order to save it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Now, if Bolt had broken the deadlift record- then it might be different.

Colonizing Mars won't save us when the sun goes on its inevitable rampage of destruction.
~Will Rogers
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Our culture marvels over what people can do with their bodies, but they don't marvel over what people can do with their minds.

Our culture places sports heroes on pedestals and pays them BIG bucks, yet believes our teachers and scientists are less meritorious, mediocre, and leaves them under-compensated, underfunded, and unrecognized.

In other words, our culture is flat-out upside-down, and will be until it rediscovers and redefines what is truly marvelous.

I say Gold Medal to NASA for the 56 billion meters. I heard they "stuck" the landing.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 10:41, critter wrote:
Colonizing Mars won't save us when the sun goes on its inevitable rampage of destruction.

But let's worry about it anyway... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Sometimes I wish the Café had a "like" button.
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Curiosity

Bolt doesn't expand our knowledge or understanding of the universe.

The mars mission has cost everyone about $7.00. Money well spent compared to the $2588.00 per person the current military engagements in the middle east have cost us.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 08:42, Mehtas wrote:
Bolt.

He doesn't consume massive amounts of public money for "space exploration" .

You're aware, aren't you, that you probably wouldn't be using a computer like the one you have now without "space exploration?" The tangible benefits that the space program have given to humanity are incalculable.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 12:50, Payne wrote:
Curiosity

The mars mission has cost everyone about $7.00. Money well spent compared to the $2588.00 per person the current military engagements in the middle east have cost us.

Where did the Middle East comment come from? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the original post. Oh wait someone is trying to hijack the thread. I understand now I just noticed who the poster is. It is all clear now.

Off and running (pun intended).
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 13:17, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Curiosity

Where did the Middle East comment come from? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the original post. Oh wait someone is trying to hijack the thread. I understand now I just noticed who the poster is. It is all clear now.

Not saying it was right or wrong. Just trying to put the costs in perspective. I've already gotten my seven dollars worth of enjoyment and education out of Curiosities landing. Not exactly sure when I'll get the same bang for my buck out of any other government program.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 14:31, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 13:17, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Curiosity

Not saying it was right or wrong. Just trying to put the costs in perspective. I've already gotten my seven dollars worth of enjoyment and education out of Curiosities landing. Not exactly sure when I'll get the same bang for my buck out of any other government program.

What about the Olympics which was what the OP was about? Oh wait I remember reading somewhere you don't watch sports.

I for one think we can havea both the mars landing and sports.

The Middle East is another topic entirely and has no bearing.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Bolt held more interest for me.
Life of Magic!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 14:58, acesover wrote:

What about the Olympics which was what the OP was about? Oh wait I remember reading somewhere you don't watch sports.

Sports? I thought we were talking about this Bolt

Is there some sort of sporting event going on with a guy named bolt in it? who would name their kid Bolt anyway?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 16:25, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 14:58, acesover wrote:

Sports? I thought we were talking about this Bolt

Is there some sort of sporting event going on with a guy named bolt in it? who would name their kid Bolt anyway?

I don't know anyone who named their kid Bolt. However I do know of someone who named their kid Usain.

You really have no clue do you?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-07 16:47, acesover wrote:

You really have no clue do you?

Nope, plenty of clues. But only about important stuff and matters of consequence. Sports filling neither of those two categories provides little interest for me, nor anyone I socialize with. Smile

I'm actually more interested in he bolts in Oscar Pistorius prosthetics than the other Bolt or even Bolt the dog.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Quote:
I'm actually more interested in he bolts in Oscar Pistorius prosthetics than the other Bolt or even Bolt the dog.

This guy, Oscar Pistorius, he's one tough son of a gun. Ever since I've seen those blades he runs/walks on, I've wondered what it would feel like to do so myself. I'd probably fall flat on my nose for a MONTH until I figured them out.

FWIW. The only sports I watch on TV are the Olympics. I remember the days when the athletes were amateurs, (didn't get paid), and there was SCANDAL if one of them were found out to be professional. Basketball and Hockey were games to watch, and the competition between the USA and the USSR was serious business. I sorely miss those days. Alas.

I watched the Moon Landings with my father and my brother beginning in '69, and have been an ardent supporter of the program ever since. As for the Space Program, every attempt to reach into the Unknown is, one event after the other, the most important endeavors we, as Americans, and as Human Beings, will ever, ever, ever do. As far as I've seen and figured, everything we do re: space exploration will affect our present, past, and future as Human, and Sentient Beings. Watch the Mars Explorations and future endeavors as they discover remnants and evidence of other life forms, even simple bacteria, and see our own philosophies, sciences, ethics, religions, education systems and methods, .... watch them all tilt on their own axis (or axes, more correctly in plural form...).

Now compare that to some dude who can run fast, and see what you get.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mars or Bolt? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL