The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Remote Control Music Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
I am trying to work out a way to get a music box to turn on and off by remote control. Any ideas or sources would be appreciated...

As a general aside, Is there anything out there that can be used to turn battery powered items on and off (perhaps something that can be inserted between the battery and the connection)?

Thanks in Advance!
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
213 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
You can do the effect with an electric timer or similar device.

You might want to check out the following for additional ideas.

http://www.chazpro.com/PK_Magic/PK_Magic_page1.html
restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
There are a few methods to make a music box play. I know Sir T uses from time to time a PK Switch, which he happens to enjoy, but it does have it's draw backs, which are inherit with using PK methods. I myself never liked his method for that reason.

There is of course, Lee Earls Musing box, if it is still on the market, last I heard is was not, but then from time to time they turn up on Ebay. One however can make there own Musing box, for very little, I believe I made one, for under $20.00. I perfer this to the PK method, as it gives me greater controll, but has the darw back of not being able to pass the box around while playing, but I have never incountered a problem.

The other method, can be found is such great works as the Lovecraftian Ceromoies and dare I say, Darmone's Dairy. This method does require a bit of timming on the part of the medium, but a rather nice method.

The problem using remote systems, is two folds 1). they can break down 2) the RF can be interfeared with and those not achieving the effect you want. This does not happen often, but can and does happen.

Good Luck,

RP
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Quote:

The other method, can be found is such great works as the Lovecraftian Ceromoies and dare I say, Darmone's Dairy. This method does require a bit of timming on the part of the medium, but a rather nice method.

Thanks for the info. Where can I find info on the above methods?

Gary
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
RudolfRassen -
I LOVE the creepy sound of a music box playing! There is something inherently creepy about it! I actually have three different music box loops that I use for Halloween at my house.
There could be several different ways to rig something like this up.

1. Most music boxes are key wound. You could use something to stop the key from turning after the box has been wound up. At the appropriate time, you could trigger the stop to start the key moving.

2. There are music boxes that begin when the lid is lifted. You could have the music box in the corner and not call attention to it. When you need the box to start playing, you could attach something or have an unseen assistant simply lift the lid and that would call attention to it.

3. Or what I've done in the past is have a small computer speaker and cd player hidden near the box, select your music box track and hit the 'repeat' button. The music box does not have to have a moving figure or anything, but it appears as though the sound is eminating from it.

I found my music box at a flea market, did some paint work to age it and added a creepy little skeleton bridal figure to replace the ballet dancer that was originally on it.
I'm also a big Playstation 2 fan which is where I found my two FAVORITE music box pieces. I hooked up my Playstation audio line to my cd burner after I stumbled upon the music I found.
The music box songs I absolutely adore are from two videogames. The first one is from Resident Evil 2. The second and my favorite is from the game Silent Hill 2. These two songs are CREEPY! I also came up with one on my keyboard last year that I liked, but tweaked it a little more and it turned into some very creepy chimes for a hanging pendulum clock I built two years ago for a store that I worked in.
If you'd like a copy, let me know and we'll work out something. I may ask for a couple of bucks or a blank cd (that I'll JAM full of interesting atmospheric sounds if you'd like) and shipping. Or you could just send a blank cd (it MUST say 'Digital Audio' on the label) and return postage and I'll get that back to you as quickly as I can.
Hope the above helped out a little.
Take care,
Tony Ley
tonyley@earthlink.net
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Hi Rudolf,

Your post asks for answers to two questions. How can I turn a music box on and off by remote control and how can I turn a battery powered device on and off?

There are many possible answers. Here's one suggestion that addresses both.

Get a small battery-powered tape cassette player. Record the sound of your (or any) music box. Hide the player on your body. An inside jacket pocket is a good place. As any ventriloquist will tell you, the actual source of sound is hard to pinpoint. Focus audience attention on the music box and play the tape.

The rest of the problem is turning the recorder on and off unnoticeably. The easiest way I know of is to get inside it and cut one of the wire leads from the battery compartment. It doesn't matter which one.

Splice a pressure switch (with appropriate lengths of wire) between the cut ends. I have used a lever type door bell switch. With the recorder in your pocket and the switch positioned where your arm or leg can activate it, you're all set.

I hope this will be a solution to your problem. PM me if you get hung up on the details.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I made a nest of boxes, Hughes style, which features a music box in the inner box. You can buy the movements..with songs from the Beatles and Elton John to the wedding song. They are cheap and nicely made.

http://www.klockit.com

When you buy these, for another dollar you can get a little mechanism which attaches and is used to make it operate when a lid is lifted. There is no reason this could not be operated by some sort of small solenoid which in turn is operated by remote control.

You would have to buyor build a suitable box. Michaels have a number that could work. The harder part would be just getting an electrical switch to convert it's action to a mechanical action.
quack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Remote Control Music Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL