The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Self-publishing your magic book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
I've self-published two books (not on magic - one is on softball, the other on metal detecting), and though it hasn't made me rich, it provides a small but steady income stream.

It costs me about $4 per book, and I sell them for $20. Through a regular publisher, I'd get about a dollar per book sold. I like $16 better!

Yes, I have to store a bunch of books in my basement, and pack and ship them one at a time as I make sales. But I have the time and I enjoy giving my customers my personal involvement. I have web sites for both books, and I don't let anyone else sell the books but me. That way I know they'll never be offered at cut-rate prices. (And did you know that when books are sold on close-out, the author gets nothing for those sales?)

I could sell a lot more copies if I put them on Amazon, but I'd rather keep my 500% (is my math right?) profit margin than sell in bulk.
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Depending on what shipping is like in terms of cost and effort, it might be worth going through Createspace (Amazon's print on demand) or through Lulu to sell the books. I know createspace takes about 40% of the cut, but you don't have to worry about anything.

Though I have not tried it, I think you could also use createspace or other POD services to distribute your books virtually for free. The service allows authors to print copies for themselves, and normally authors would sell those out of their van or as you are doing now, or might pass to friends, etc., as people do.

I imagine that you could have someone pay you $20+shipping for your book directly (like through paypal), then you pay createspace $4+shipping to have the book printed and sent book to the person you want it to go to. That would mean no need to advertise or be listed on Amazon or pay royalties, but your shipping labour would be reduced to typing in someone's address and hitting "pay now".

Just a thought.

-Aaron
montygoodrum
View Profile
New user
Texas
52 Posts

Profile of montygoodrum
Thanks for the info...i have been thinking of self publishing my own children's book..with a magic theme. This definitely sounds like the way to go
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Self-publishing your magic book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL