The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Getting Started with Linking Finger Rings (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I am wanting to begin investigating and learning more about the linking finger ring routines, but need some help getting started. What routines should I look at to get started? Are there some routines you feel have advantages over others? And as far as gaffs, I of course know of the split ring, Himber, and the Porper rings. Are there others. Any help would be appreciated.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5275 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If you can find it Al Koran's routine (probably, like much of what Al did, started the mess) his uses a gimmicked pencil (a very easy to make gimmick I might add). Doesn't use a Himber style ring but could be done with one or a Poper ring but why?

More easily found are:
Dick Osterlind's routine (fekes a pencil in a very natural way and it can be handed out without rising suspicion). Uses a Himber style ring.
and
Billy McComb's routine using a simple swizzle stick (un-gimmicked) and a Himber style ring.
Geoffrey Dunham's routine using a custom made ring,

That's a start and others will chime in here I am sure.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best advice I can give goes along with Harry's comments. I have collected many Linking Finger Rings routines over the years. I have owned several solid gold Himber Rings. There is no better or best that I can tell. If you are really interested, then find the Al Koran manuscript and work that original routine. It is available still, I seen it someplace on the Internet, a place is selling. I found it here: http://trickshop.com/shop/linking-finger-rings It does not have all the pitfalls that the Himber presents. Most real Himber Rings are very very expensive, so if you are going to spend a large amount of money, the be committed to actually using and presenting the routine.

Currently, the latest offering is the Nick Lewin routine for $350, without props. A ring from Geoffrey Durham is $995.00, One from Nils Bennett will cost $130.00 but works totally different then the classic Himber Ring. Stevens Magic have several at different prices and qualities. Geoffrey Durham's book is a must read on the subject as well. http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1498

As with many of the Al Koran magic tricks, this trick takes guts and also requires lying to the audience. If you have a problem with psychological lying then stay away from this trick.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've seen Himber Rings advertised for $30-40. I know the Porper stuff is super expensive.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 10:19, Corbett wrote:
I've seen Himber Rings advertised for $30-40. I know the Porper stuff is super expensive.

What is your point, the Bruce Kalver Rings are no longer available, they sold for $40. I was just pointing out all the different version available, isn't that what you were asking?

Like I said, search Steven's site, they have some cheap China one for $25.

Remember you get what you pay for in the end.

Routines:
Ron Wilson
Roger Klause
Billy McComb
Richard Osterlind
Nick Lewin
Harry Anderson
Ted Lesley
Jonathan Pendragon

Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
My point, Bill, is that you were only mentioning rings in the 100's of dollars in your previous post. And there are others available.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 11:01, Corbett wrote:
My point, Bill, is that you were only mentioning rings in the 100's of dollars in your previous post. And there are others available.

You did not specify price, I was commenting on the better rings that are available. Take a look at Stevens Magic and put Himber ring in the search engine. That is my best advice.

I just checked their site, there is nothing but the $25 China rings listed, all others are in the hundreds of dollars. You can get the China rings on ebay for $15 postage paid, will arrive in 3 weeks.

Again the Kalver $40 to $50 rings are no longer available. I emailed him and did not get a response on availablility.

I originally said the best was the original split ring that Al Koran used. That you can make yourself with an inexpensive costume ring.

You're Welcome!

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is all in the presentation. Sure, I've designed some expensive/Porper rings... and so have others... but again, it's all in the presentation. I watched Kreskin do the 'work' poorly, yet he sold it and got a standing ovation from a theater audience of 3,000.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found another routine:

Marc DeSouza

I would like to add, one must be realistic when buying men's jewelery. I remember you use to be able to go to K-Mart and Walmart and buy watches for $5 and gold rings for $50. Those days are gone. If you would go to any jeweler in you town, you will see rings are very expensive today, and they don't do anything but wrap around your finger.

If anyone finds or knows of a good Himber Ring for $30 to $40, please post a website reference, as I am looking for the wedding band one to replace the Counterfeit Porper I purchased from China. The gaps in this piece of junk is an eyesore. See my review below in this category topic if you are interested or considering the China copy.

Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 09:58, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The best advice I can give goes along with Harry's comments. I have collected many Linking Finger Rings routines over the years. I have owned several solid gold Himber Rings. There is no better or best that I can tell. If you are really interested, then find the Al Koran manuscript and work that original routine. It is available still, I seen it someplace on the Internet, a place is selling. I found it here: http://trickshop.com/shop/linking-finger-rings It does not have all the pitfalls that the Himber presents. Most real Himber Rings are very very expensive, so if you are going to spend a large amount of money, the be committed to actually using and presenting the routine.

Currently, the latest offering is the Nick Lewin routine for $350, without props. A ring from Geoffrey Durham is $995.00, One from Nils Bennett will cost $130.00 but works totally different then the classic Himber Ring. Stevens Magic have several at different prices and qualities. Geoffrey Durham's book is a must read on the subject as well. http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1498

As with many of the Al Koran magic tricks, this trick takes guts and also requires lying to the audience. If you have a problem with psychological lying then stay away from this trick.

Yes Bill, Al Koran's Linking Finger Rings takes guts. He used a ring with a gap as in the key ring in a linking ring routine. It was thought that the fussing involved with a Himber Ring slowed things down!

I bought a Himber Ring from Bruce Kalver (Top Hat Productions) in March. It was a signet ring but I believe they also had the wedding band type. I called them. You might want to try that.

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My problem with the "Himber" wedding band was (for me) a difficulty in "finding the spot" and opening it. That's why I created the ring Joe Porper makes. I know it costs a lot more, but when you see how Lu Chen (and others) kill with you you will see its advantages. See video clips at http://www.pete-biro.com "My favorite videos."
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Some other related material:
There's a cheap-ish routine using your own rings, with the linked rings being examinable - "Slink" by Ben Harris. In the process of making the gaff for that routine, you can get a simple gaff for some of the others.
Matthew Garrett's "Ninja Plus" is another examinable version where a finger ring links - in this case to a Ninja-rings sized ring. You can hand out the linked pair.
This was an interesting twist on the genre - it's not everyone's cup of tea, but interesting, I thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71VRMscLRc (Latimer doing a linking finger ring / ring on glass stem routine).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! Jason Latimer gives his trick to a TV personality Phil Tufnell, and stands back and watches. So why was he/Latimer there?

In this trick the climax is the Linking of the rings, not the unlinking. That is very puzzling why any magician would relinquish his performance to a TV Jockey. Fly from L.A. to England to stand an watch your magic trick being performed by someone else.

There is so many things wrong with this. Very sad.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think that's the case... with editing cuts, methinks Latimer did a lot more work on this. I'm going to ask him for details.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Some background - in this segment of the show, the format of the show *requires* the guest (in this case legendary England cricketer Phil Tufnell) to perform the trick, or at least play the leading dramatic role. So Latimer had little or no choice - he had to let the guest do it.
I thought they both did a great job. Latimer in particular won the viewing public over, being the overall winner of the series (there was a competition/voting aspect, as seems the norm these days). Most of his stuff was awesome, as you'd expect.

I thought this was well executed, and an interesting version of the plot, so worth posting.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I agree, it was a terrific presentation, perfectly done.

Latimer is a good friend and a tremendous thinker. You should see his new warehouse/workshop.

He's got some amazing and creative magic coming.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Wow....

That Latimer routine was AWESOME!

That young man has TALENT and his persona is perfect for that bit....

That bit is NOT a self-working trick and isn't easy to perform WELL on stage let alone on the street....It takes GUTS, a lot of work and post-production, brutally honest self-criticism of the video "rushes", great editing and more to do a well-rehearsed street presentation like that and present it as a video.

Obviously, Latimer and Phil Tufnell put in the proper rehearsal time to pull this off perfectly......I'm impressed!

That's some terriffic stuff!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Latimer told me he really worked hard on the script and blocking.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, I cannot put any value on camera editing and stooges being used in a television show. It only shows how well the producers figure out what to show and what not to show in a television show. Looks good, but can anyone else do it? No! Can it be done anywhere else? No! Can it be done anytime? No!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Getting Started with Linking Finger Rings (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL