The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Ultimate Optimist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
First a bit of background - A friend and I have an indoor pole vault practice facility in our town. It's not fancy, but it is available for local athletes to practice during the winter or in inclement weather.

Tonight I got a call from someone who said "I am looking for a track facility where I can work out. I am trying to get to the 2016 Olympics in Rio."

"Our facility is strictly pole vault, but there is a local track club you could check with."

"I called them and left a message, but I haven't heard anything back yet."

"I have the phone number for someone who can probably help you. I will send it to you."

"Thanks. I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome. By the way, what events do you run?"

"Oh, I've never run track in my life."
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Your guy is probably nuts. Smile

But Donovan Bailey started competing as a 100 m sprinter part-time in 1991, only took it up seriously in 1994 (previously he had a day job as a stock broker), broke the indoor 50 m world record in 1995, and set the 100 m world record at the 1996 Olympics.

I read somewhere a long time ago that Donovan watched the Olympic track and field events in 1992 on television, figured he could do better, and so he did.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The niners had a player in their great years who was a walk on and never played beyond highschool and worked as a chimney repairer. He played a few years then retired. Why not some guy or gal who happens to be gifted?

My highschool sucked at sports and watching the pole vault tryouts were great fun. I think one person hit the spot and almost took his head off
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Shane Healy was 22 and had never run when someone challenged him to run a mile. He did it in 4 minutes 52 seconds. Ten months later his time was down to 4.01. He qualified for the Olympics for Ireland. I would not dismiss a man who wanted to go to Rio. He might be the real deal.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 22:23, ClintonMagus wrote:

Any chance his name was Forrest Gump?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-08-10 19:36, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-08 22:23, ClintonMagus wrote:

Any chance his name was Forrest Gump?

It was a lady, so probably not... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Ultimate Optimist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL