The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I have seen Ken Scott mention his CD "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows". If that CD is true to it's word it will be important to have. But I never seen any reviews for that CD. Is there anyone with that CD that can share some info?
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Dynamike, Why would you need this? It would be a cut in pay for you.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Link for you:

---> Magic Café thread titled... Six figure Ken Scott

(This one is from the Tricky Business area.)

There are a few other references on threads in both the Little Darlings and Tricky Business.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Thanks Dynamike

But the thread that Donald put up you were apart of the discussion?

Thanks for asking though.

Ken
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-08-11 14:43, MagicB1S wrote:
Dynamike, Why would you need this? It would be a cut in pay for you.

LOL.

Thanks for the link Donald.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Would this translate to the UK market?

Thanks

Mark
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-08-11 17:52, kenscott wrote:
Thanks dynamike

But the thread that Donald put up you were apart of the discussion?

Thanks for asking though.

Ken

Mike's posts over the last few months have had nothing to do with asking for information, or helping magicians. I thought that was obvious by now.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Some people just like to hear themselves talk.

Oh, did I say that out loud?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Honestly if you really tried to make 100k a year in the children's world how hard would it be IF you lived in a major US city?

Lets look at a very simple and modest approach.

3 restaurants with kids night paying from 5:30pm-8:30pm only $75 and making a very low amount of only $75 in tips. ($150 each X 3) = $450 x 50 weeks $22,500.00

6 parties per week (preschools, schools, parties etc.) at only $235 each for say a 30 minute magic show and an hour of balloons.

This combination would put you right at the 100k mark. Keep in mind these are low reasonable numbers.

100k is not a hard bench mark. Now $150k-$200k that's a tough place to be!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
About 10 months before Ken's product was released, Dennis Michael started this interesting thread:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Maki......ic Shows

- Donald
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
That was the thread that gave Ken the concept of producing that CD.

As for me making that Million a year, I got sick and my world came to a full stop. I realized that money is NOT the most important item in ones life.
What good is it if you can't spend it?

Love of one's job is also very important as well as time for the family.

Yes, I make over a million but over many years.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a licence to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
$250 is not even near the top for birthday parties. There are quite a few on here that charge $300-$400. The answer to your question is supply and demand. These shows are not being purchased by everyone having a birthday party, but to hire the best talent for a party costs this much or more. Not to mention that brain surgeons make a lot more than this amount for 40 minutes - if you only count the actual time they spend performing surgery.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Hmm, $250 for a 40 min. show does sound like a lot but let's see did you Chory take into account the cost of putting on that show? Off hand what comes to mind and I am sure others will chime in but I am thinking there are well advertising to get the show, the supplies to do the show and of course the supplies for the goodie bags. Transportation costs, Fuel Costs, Maintenance Costs, Insurance, if a pet is involved there is the license costs, vet costs. Oh and of course you do want to get paid for your time.

I am sure others have other things they can add in but, as you can see the cost can add up. I cannot speak for anyone else here but I am in business to make a profit so I build those costs into the shows and add a profit margin on top and that is how I come up with a price for a show.

I hope this made some sense Chory.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 08:01, Chory wrote:
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a license to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.

You've got to be kidding me. It often is the highlight of the event, the thing the kids remember the most, usually makes the birthday kid the star of the "star" of the performance, will be something the birthday child will probably remember for years to come, and can greatly determine an event's overall success. This is a professionally skilled person performing a professionally skilled service on location. This is not worth a mere $250?

What about the education, expense, time, commitment, care for animals in an act, safety knowledge and experience, and investment in their performance, travel time and expense to and from the gig, additional setup and breakdown time, and maintaining the kids attention for 45 minutes. Seems to me $250 is a bargain.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here are a couple of other threads that discuss show pricing (two threads of many, many threads):

--> Magic Café thread titled... How ......'s show?

--> Magic Café thread titled... "I h......dget"...

- Donald

P.S. Read the dates on some of the posts, and factor that into their commentary.
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 09:49, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a license to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.

You've got to be kidding me. It often is the highlight of the event, the thing the kids remember the most, usually makes the birthday kid the star of the "star" of the performance, will be something the birthday child will probably remember for years to come, and can greatly determine an event's overall success. This is a professionally skilled person performing a professionally skilled service on location. This is not worth a mere $250?

What about the education, expense, time, commitment, care for animals in an act, safety knowledge and experience, and investment in their performance, travel time and expense to and from the gig, additional setup and breakdown time, and maintaining the kids attention for 45 minutes. Seems to me $250 is a bargain.

As I was saying before, despite you wanting to call the work 'professionally skilled', it is quite an easy job to do and really it doesn't warrant the high figures that magicians are asking, even if they have done the work for decades. It is basic acting, slap stick comedy, and one liners thrown in. Besides, your response that a magic show makes the birthday party more special isn't a reason to make it more expensive, it could be seen as a reason to lower your prices to that which is reasonable so more children can enjoy your talents. Are people here interested in entertaining as much children as they can, or are they after the all mighty dollar?

Anyway, people like you need to stop get worked up over people who can do the exact same job for half the price. I like how magicians turn it around and say that those others are skimping on quality - they have to say this even if the guy is talented because they're the one without work.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Chory -

Charge whatever you want.

I'm not really clear if you are looking for permission, or what.

There are already lots of posts from performers who criticize those who charge more, and criticize those who charge less. Nothing new there.

- Donald

P.S. Another link for those interested:

http://schoolshows.blogspot.ca/2010/11/h......ong.html
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
On 2012-08-13 17:42, Chory wrote:
Quote:
...a magic show makes the birthday party more special isn't a reason to make it more expensive, it could be seen as a reason to lower your prices to that which is reasonable so more children can enjoy your talents.

I agree 100%, which is why I always pitch my prices a little lower than the average price in my market. Any family can afford to get the best. It costs me a little at the end of each year, but I prefer that approach.

That said, I have to keep the price high enough that I can make a living. It is a balancing act.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Quote:
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a licence to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.
Why does Paris Hilton get 100,000 for just showing up and waving to a nightclub crowd? Why does Brad Pitt get 20 million for making a movie. My friend, people aren't going to go for a 50 dollar entertainer over a 300 dollar entertainer-why do you think Sax 5th Avenue stayed open during the recession. If there kid's bday is once a year, and they want You to come, then you have it made.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL