The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 00:43, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 08:01, Chory wrote:
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a licence to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.
Why does Paris Hilton get 100,000 for just showing up and waving to a nightclub crowd? Why does Brad Pitt get 20 million for making a movie. My friend, people aren't going to go for a 50 dollar entertainer over a 300 dollar entertainer-why do you think Sax 5th Avenue stayed open during the recession. If there kid's bday is once a year, and they want You to come, then you have it made.


If the 50 dollar entertainer is just as good as the 300 dollar entertainer if not better, you have no argument, no leg to stand on, just another magician overpricing himself and talking himself up.
magic4children
View Profile
Regular user
Cheshire UK
127 Posts

Profile of magic4children
Pricing is not just for one show. The price includes props purchased, time spent in rehearsal, years of experience, continued professional development such as conventions, DVD’s and magazine subscriptions, software used to run your business, phone lines, web hosting fees, website development fees, SEO fees, wear and tear on props, wardrobe fees, music licencing, photography fees, videography and editing fees.
It is true that there are $50 dollar magicians in the market and I am confident they are worth every cent of the $50 fee. Likewise there are entertainers changing top-whack and many are worth every penny of that fee.
I choose to charge top rate for my services and my website reflects testimonials expressing how pleased my bookers are with the service I deliver. I turn down around 9 shows per day from being fully booked with bookings stretching to July 2013 which shows me the supply is outstripped by the demand at my current (high) price.
I choose to listen and be guided to my bookers as they pay my bills.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 04:16, Chory wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 00:43, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 08:01, Chory wrote:
Why are kids birthday party magic shows priced so expensively? This is a sincere question. They're often like $250 for a 40 minute magic show at a birthday party? Why? You don't necessarily need a licence to do the job, no formal schooling either, and the work itself is nothing like brain surgery.
Why does Paris Hilton get 100,000 for just showing up and waving to a nightclub crowd? Why does Brad Pitt get 20 million for making a movie. My friend, people aren't going to go for a 50 dollar entertainer over a 300 dollar entertainer-why do you think Sax 5th Avenue stayed open during the recession. If there kid's bday is once a year, and they want You to come, then you have it made.


If the 50 dollar entertainer is just as good as the 300 dollar entertainer if not better, you have no argument, no leg to stand on, just another magician overpricing himself and talking himself up.
Let's say word of mouth is out of the question, and they are just cold calling-everyone here knows me, and I'm sure lots of you have a well known show in your area, however, let's say hypothetically speaking that someone was just cold calling and got quotes for 50 and 300-not knowing one thing about the entertainer.

The 50 dollar entertainer might be as good, the client will go with the more expensive, because of the assumption is that they have to be better. The only one aware that the 50 entertainer is as good, will probably be the 50 dollar entertainer.

Look, I needed a lawyer for a speeding a ticket, going way to fast in Virginia- I called around. I was quoted 800, 800, and 800 dollars. Boom, then someone said their 1200. Guess who I went with, not knowing a thing about them. I paid the 1200 dollar guy.

Bottles of wine work this way as well. If you drink a 300 dollar bottle of wine, you're not really drinking wine that is much better than a 100 dollar bottle, they make you think you are, and you go fancy, tell your friends, treat your girl, feeling good about it and broke.

A calvin Clein t-shirt is more expensive than your average shirt-brand yourself first, become known, set your pricer higher, and no, it doesn't mean you don't like performing. I absolutely love what I do, love the kids, parents, and being on stage, but I'll never feel bad about making a good living doing something I love.
Btw, was planning on going on Vacation, early this week, turns out I'm not going to New Hampshire to Thursday for a wedding. Anyone in Peirmont, New Hampshire? Let me know.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Ok Chory, Let's say that is costs 500 monthly for expenses you know advertising, prop upkeep, you know the things I and others have mentioned in the posts above. Now you want to charge 50 dollars to do a show ok. You would have to do 10 shows a month. Now mind you Chory that is only for the basic expenses not things like eating or paying rent or mortgage. You will most likely have to get a JOB to cover those expenses or you could just live with your parents.

My point here is that most of the folks who charge that much are doing so to make a full time living doing something they love. Now a question for you Chory. Do you think most professional ball players should give up there millions and millions of dollars for playing something they love?

The other point that most here are trying to make is that there is also perceived value that the client thinks they are getting because someone is charging more.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1685 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm a beginner and I don't feel comfortable charging more than $50 for an hour-hour and a half show. Part of it is the economy and part of it is lack of experience. In the future I may raise my prices as I get more polished and expand my act. Maybe I'll include animals, who knows? But I've never made much money in my life and feel that for now, for me, $50 is a fair price. I have a full time job and do this as a side line. We'll see what the future holds. Part of me would like to stay affordable for the people who genuinely can't afford more- I'd like to give back in my community by bringing joy to lower income families. Maybe I should ask for their zip code before quoting a price. lol

I would like to expand to doing preschools and nursing homes. I would probably charge more for these, but I don't know how much more. Maybe 100? It's a tough call because there are so many things to consider like gas, travel, prop maintenance, performance time, etc. That, and I'd like to do volunteer work as well.

I would like to say that as a budget minded shopper I wouldn't necessarily go for the more expensive guy like Zuke mentioned. I mean- if you can afford it, great; but for many of us we shop at Walmart because that's all we can honestly afford. I'm making props out of paper, cardboard and tape. So I guess for the 50 bucks you pay me you'll get the best show I can give at this time and I'll miss out on the people who will naturally think I suck cuz I'm cheaper. I don't even have a website yet and was thrilled to be able to afford some cheap business cards.

I'm glad some of you can get these great fees. I'm just not there yet and don't know if and when I ever would feel comfortable charging hundreds of dollars for a birthday party. We'll see. I mean who knows? I'd like to make great money.

My first children's show is tomorrow. It's free to a teacher friend's classroom. The teacher is going to book me for her personal birthday party in October. I'll film it and let you guys critique me. Let me know what you honestly think I'm worth. I'd be interested in the varying opinions.

Thanks Smile
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 13:00, Preston68 wrote:
I'm a beginner and I don't feel comfortable charging more than $50 for an hour-hour and a half show. Part of it is the economy and part of it is lack of experience. In the future I may raise my prices as I get more polished and expand my act. Maybe I'll include animals, who knows? But I've never made much money in my life and feel that for now, for me, $50 is a fair price. I have a full time job and do this as a side line. We'll see what the future holds. Part of me would like to stay affordable for the people who genuinely can't afford more- I'd like to give back in my community by bringing joy to lower income families. Maybe I should ask for their zip code before quoting a price. lol

I would like to expand to doing preschools and nursing homes. I would probably charge more for these, but I don't know how much more. Maybe 100? It's a tough call because there are so many things to consider like gas, travel, prop maintenance, performance time, etc. That, and I'd like to do volunteer work as well.

I would like to say that as a budget minded shopper I wouldn't necessarily go for the more expensive guy like Zuke mentioned. I mean- if you can afford it, great; but for many of us we shop at Walmart because that's all we can honestly afford. I'm making props out of paper, cardboard and tape. So I guess for the 50 bucks you pay me you'll get the best show I can give at this time and I'll miss out on the people who will naturally think I suck cuz I'm cheaper. I don't even have a website yet and was thrilled to be able to afford some cheap business cards.

I'm glad some of you can get these great fees. I'm just not there yet and don't know if and when I ever would feel comfortable charging hundreds of dollars for a birthday party. We'll see. I mean who knows? I'd like to make great money.

My first children's show is tomorrow. It's free to a teacher friend's classroom. The teacher is going to book me for her personal birthday party in October. I'll film it and let you guys critique me. Let me know what you honestly think I'm worth. I'd be interested in the varying opinions.

Thanks Smile
First of all, congrats on your first show, I'm excited for, and if you ever need advice on anything, Pm me, and I'd love to help you out. You sound terrific, and I understand your point that you're trying to make. Really, I do.

I do realize that I'm in a different area than lots of people. I already have 20 shows in October booked at 350, and the whole month will be booked by the end of the week. Now, I know that this fee I might not be able to garner in other areas of the country, I get it.

I do believe the basic principles remain the same though. For instance if everyone in your area is charginging 50, then charge 70. The only one that doesn't know you have experiene is you-the client doesn't know this.

I've done over 4000 shows, but I acted as experienced during my first show, as my very last one. It was a great point made about athletes-Are they really worth millions-of course not, but the market says they are.

Look, everyone kept telling me that they were charging 150 bucks for preschools-everyone, ok, that's fine. I go to schools, and charge 3-350 for those as well. Rules are made to be broken. Now, I didn't know if 50 dollars was a made up fun number we were all talking about, or if some people are really charging 50 bucks.

I won't begin to guess which area you're in and make assumptions about it, but even a full tank of gas is near 50 bucks, then again, maybe that's just my area.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1685 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
That's great food for thought. There are some professional magicians here in Tucson that I'm quite certain are charging more than my paltry sum of 50 bucks. Maybe I'm selling myself short? I'll wait and get a few shows under my belt and re-evaluate. And let you guys critique me. There is money to be had here, it's a retirement town. I just need to take this a step at a time. Thanks for the advice.
Chory
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Chory
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 12:10, gman wrote:
Ok Chory, Let's say that is costs 500 monthly for expenses you know advertising, prop upkeep, you know the things I and others have mentioned in the posts above. Now you want to charge 50 dollars to do a show ok. You would have to do 10 shows a month. Now mind you Chory that is only for the basic expenses not things like eating or paying rent or mortgage. You will most likely have to get a JOB to cover those expenses or you could just live with your parents.

My point here is that most of the folks who charge that much are doing so to make a full time living doing something they love. Now a question for you Chory. Do you think most professional ball players should give up there millions and millions of dollars for playing something they love?

The other point that most here are trying to make is that there is also perceived value that the client thinks they are getting because someone is charging more.


Yes. No one is worth millions of dollars for whacking a ball around the place. They are not working any harder than anybody else, and their work is surely not socially constructive. There is no ethics in a selfish economic system.

Your last point only talks about your willingness to take advantage over others.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
On 2012-08-14 09:04, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Quote:

Look, I needed a lawyer for a speeding a ticket, going way to fast in Virginia- I called around. I was quoted 800, 800, and 800 dollars. Boom, then someone said their 1200. Guess who I went with, not knowing a thing about them. I paid the 1200 dollar guy.

In a similar situation I handed in a duplicate licence I keep for situations like that. Keeps my own licence clean. You got to learn to think smart.

Sometimes I do need to phone around for services. I don't judge on price. I go for the busiest guy. I reckon busyness is a great indicator of quality. If I see an empty restaurant, I walk on. There is a reason its empty.
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 13:20, The Great Zucchini wrote:

I do believe the basic principles remain the same though. For instance if everyone in your area is charginging 50, then charge 70. The only one that doesn't know you have experiene is you-the client doesn't know this.



I'll disagree in part with my friend Eric on this. I think that if you are starting out you should charge a relatively low fee. You are a beginner and your show will undoubtedly improve as you get more experience. One way to do that is by doing low-cost shows and gradually raising your prices as your performance skills improve. I started doing shows at $150 and now charge about twice that amount.

Obviously, one thing to consider is your market. What will the market bear?

I do think that Eric makes a point that has been debated here and elsewhere: is it better to price your shows near the bottom or near the top of the market? If you price near the bottom, you are still likely to be undercut by someone else. And the question becomes: Is it worth your time and effort to charge so little? If you price near the top, you will get calls from those, like Eric said, who are looking for top quality and assume top price equals top quality. If you charge near the top, you better have a show that will back it up. Eric does. But if you don't and fall flat, the negative word-of-mouth will be devastating. You won't have that problem if you start low and gradually increase.

My strategy is that I charge near the top of the birthday market in my area, but not at the very top. I tell my clients that I offer a quality show while trying to keep prices reasonable.

As for the question of why prices are what they are, it's elementary economics: supply and demand. If the demand for $300 birthday parties dries up, there won't be $300 birthday parties. But in my area, at least, there is a lot of demand at that price and higher.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Being a bit of a socialist my policy on pricing is to be slightly cheaper than the average in my area, so that everyone can afford me. I do have a good name here and could go for high prices, but that would not sit well with me. But a combination of a good name and a good price does keep me busy.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 16:34, Chory wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 12:10, gman wrote:
Ok Chory, Let's say that is costs 500 monthly for expenses you know advertising, prop upkeep, you know the things I and others have mentioned in the posts above. Now you want to charge 50 dollars to do a show ok. You would have to do 10 shows a month. Now mind you Chory that is only for the basic expenses not things like eating or paying rent or mortgage. You will most likely have to get a JOB to cover those expenses or you could just live with your parents.

My point here is that most of the folks who charge that much are doing so to make a full time living doing something they love. Now a question for you Chory. Do you think most professional ball players should give up there millions and millions of dollars for playing something they love?

The other point that most here are trying to make is that there is also perceived value that the client thinks they are getting because someone is charging more.


Yes. No one is worth millions of dollars for whacking a ball around the place. They are not working any harder than anybody else, and their work is surely not socially constructive. There is no ethics in a selfish economic system.

Your last point only talks about your willingness to take advantage over others.


I don't think it is taking advantage. First off I don't charge as much as the guys around me charge so if someone chooses me over someone else I don't think they made their decision solely on price. If they do decide to go solely on price because they think they are getting something that I don't provide then so be it. There is enough for everyone.

Remember Chory, some folks do buy because of status. I don't believe their being taking advantage.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If everybody would charge $350 for a 40 minute magic shows, the clients will have no choice. So what do we got to lose if we all charge the same?
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Chory is trolling.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 15:04, tboehnlein wrote:
Chory is trolling.

...but he's also making some very valid points. Certainly food for thought, and he's given me a few chuckles...
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1685 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Well my first show went great- I'm posting about it in the new to magic section and will post a link to the video there. Please stop by and critique me. Thank you!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1685 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Actually I'll post it in new to magic and here in the thread I started about it called something like: first ever kids show... Thanks.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"but he's also making some very valid points. Certainly food for thought, and he's given me a few chuckles."

Maybe but he does not seem to understand the capitalist model.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
What I feel is criminal is when a magician charge different price for the same work.

They charge more because the client is in a rich area of town, sounds desperate, they know they can get away with it.

Plumbers show up on TV news stings all the time charging different people more money becaus ethey think they can get away with it. I think its plain wrong.

We should all have a set price sheet and stop playing the games.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 22:29, Kevinr wrote:
We should all have a set price sheet and stop playing the games.

Agree fully. I never change the price because of their income bracket.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL