The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Agree completely, anyone that does that would get called out in a heartbeat. I actually remember about 7 years ago, a mom called me to book a party, and I was booked up. I recommended someone, who I didn't know a whole lot about, but I wanted to give her the name of someone to call.

I ran into her at a party, a couple months later, and she told me she didn't go with that person, becasue he asked her where she lived, then quoted a high price. I never recommended him again.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Sadly many many magicians do this!

I know people personally. That charge different rate for kids birthday parties all the time.

How they don't get busted charging one mom $100 more for a party when they just did that's child's friend for $100 less is beyond.

How they live with themselves is whole other story.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Kevinr, I agree that is kind of strange how they don't get caught. The only way I can see charging more and being able to justify it is if say you had to travel 2-3 hours away and you charged them for the gas and tolls.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I charge the same for everyone from the mom down the street to the Saudi princess in beverly hills.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:
On 2012-08-16 10:51, The Great Zucchini wrote

I ran into her at a party, a couple months later, and she told me she didn't go with that person, becasue he asked her where she lived, then quoted a high price. I never recommended him again.

I hope that wasn't ME. I'll admit I charge about $20 more if the show is about an hour or more from my house. I figure I'm spending a lot more on gas and the longer distance (doubled round trip) means I'm potentially losing out on another, more local, show. But I don't differentiate between rich and poor local neighborhoods.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2012-08-22 16:26, LMLipman wrote:
I'll admit I charge about $20 more if the show is about an hour or more from my house.

I think that is an easy and professional way to handle it.

It gets confusing and frustrating to the client to try to explain travel cost or mileage charges.

Just add the mileage charge to the quote.

But I would not even count that in the same ballpark as upcharging because a client seems "rich" or anything.

Back to the "plumber sting" thing that has been mentioned in this thread.

No news crew is going to be upset because a plumber charges more to go to the next town or come out at 2:00 am or on a holiday.

Mileage and other things like that which are figured in just go into have a set fee for everyone (in my book anyway).

Good discussion.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I am NOT talking about travel fees. That's totally legitimate and the same offer to everyone else.

I am talking about guys who have a busy weekend and someone calls and they want you to do a party and you tell them a different price because you don't wanna do another unless you REALLY make some money and if they don't wanna do it oh well your busy anyways.

Or you can tell your client is desperate because she just found out her other entertainer cancelled so you figure you can really stick it to them so you bump your price up fifty bucks.

Then there are the guys who have higher prices around Christmas time or summer time because they know they can only do so many shows anyways so they just raise there prices because they can.

They list goes on and on. There are actual magicians who have classes on how to offer prices to clients and know there budget so you can figure out how much you money you can get out of them.

Then these are the guys complaining about "corporate America" or they plumber or mechanic on the 9 news being busted for ripping people off. Yet they do the same exact thing.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
My prices, like many others on here, only change based on travel. I wouldn't really see a problem with charging more on certain holidays though. I would rather be with my family on Christmas but I'm sure if I did take a show on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day I would most likely charge more.
Plumbers and other repair people normally charge more for coming out on holidays or in the middle of the night and I don't see anything wrong with that. You're inconveniencing (thank you spell check) them by pulling them away from their families or their sleep and they deserve to be fairly compensated for that.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2012-08-26 08:50, adamferrucci wrote:
I wouldn't really see a problem with charging more on certain holidays though. I would rather be with my family on Christmas but I'm sure if I did take a show on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day I would most likely charge more.

Not to mention that many of us have spent time and money towards developing specific shows themed around these holidays or special events.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
AGAIN NOT talking about ON a holiday or even travel fees. those make sense and the prices are once again the SAME to everyone.

I am talking about summer time or specific time in the year of a busy period verse slow period.

Then there are just random busy weeks so you charge more because you want to.

Or you know this person doesn't even mention price and books you so you bump her up $50..

Very very shocked you never heard of this. I have seen classes by magicians actually talking about how to get more from every customer and figuring out there budget.

I actually mentioned quite a bit in my post besides this brief comment.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have charged double for a xmas eve show
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-08-26 14:25, JamesinLA wrote:
I have charged double for a xmas eve show

That's holiday I don't think anyone sees a problem with that. If your policy is to charge double time on holidays that's your choice.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I have on some occasions charged additional for certain types of shows.

As an example, I'm not a big fan of company picnics manily because you have to park your car in a lot and then carry your equipment a great distance to get to the performing area. And there are times when the client wants you to park in a garage and then take an elevator up to the 15th floor to perform a show. (If you have to make more than one trip, this is a ton of work.) So sometimes I will charge more for these types of shows.

Now on other occasions I will charge more depending up if I really want to do a show on a particular date. If I decide to give myself a well-deserved "day off" and someone calls me for a show, I MIGHT ask for more money only because I don't really case if I get the show or not. And in some case, I hope they pass on my price.

I'm just saying. . .

Gerry
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Lol Larry, of course not buddy. Sorry, it took me to a while to get back to you, but I was out of town. It wasn't you, actually I didn't know this person real well, but guys were talking about two different things here.

Charging different fees for different events is not a big deal, it's when you charge more for a bday party, then you'd charge for a normal party because of how rich you think they are. I've never done that. Like James, I, in fact just did a Saudi Prince' party here, and they got charged the same because travel was simple.

I charge librarys more and I charge festivals more, because they bring in huge crowds with my name on marquee. I don't ever charge more depending on how rich I think they are.

I have 43 shows in September, with some public, some bday parties, and they aren't all paying the same, but wealth has nothing to do with it. Let me say this though, in shows in the metro area, because everything is within a 40 minute radius, I usally won't tack on a traveling fee as well, because I feel 350 is a lot, and I can pay for the gas, etc.

Public shows are more expensive, and adding extra, for travel, I usually don't do, unless I'm waaaaaaaay out there.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-08-27 08:33, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Lol Larry, of course not buddy. Sorry, it took me to a while to get back to you, but I was out of town. It wasn't you, actually I didn't know this person real well, but guys were talking about two different things here.

Charging different fees for different events is not a big deal, it's when you charge more for a bday party, then you'd charge for a normal party because of how rich you think they are. I've never done that. Like James, I, in fact just did a Saudi Prince' party here, and they got charged the same because travel was simple.

I charge librarys more and I charge festivals more, because they bring in huge crowds with my name on marquee. I don't ever charge more depending on how rich I think they are.

I have 43 shows in September, with some public, some bday parties, and they aren't all paying the same, but wealth has nothing to do with it. Let me say this though, in shows in the metro area, because everything is within a 40 minute radius, I usally won't tack on a traveling fee as well, because I feel 350 is a lot, and I can pay for the gas, etc.

Public shows are more expensive, and adding extra, for travel, I usually don't do, unless I'm waaaaaaaay out there.

I totally agree with the above comment.

Gerry I think your wrong to charge more because you want the day off and if they bite for you higher price you will work. If a plumber charged $1000 for water heater on Monday. Then decided to charge a client on the very same block as the first customer Tuesday $2000. That would be considered ripping people off. I could see him tell the news station. "Hey, I wanted the day off and if they were desperate enough to pay double so what!"
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Anyone here ever study economics? At the core is the concept of supply and demand.

Demand: Generally people will buy more at lower prices: less when price is higher.
Supply: Produces of a service (i.e. magic shows) are generally more willing to do more when prices are higher, less when prices are lower.

Where these two lines meet is the equilibrium point: the market price for a service. If one of the various determinants cause an increase in demand (seasonal: such as holiday parties, or increase in tastes: such as rise in popularity of David Blaine, Cris Angel or even Harry Potter) the demand increases, as does the price. That's why holiday parties may cost more.

An advanced topic: differentiated demand. Companies will try to capture the different prices on the demand curve. That's why Airlines will charge less if you book a month ahead of time, compared to the higher prices if you book last minute. That's largely because it's the business traveller that has to go somewhere the last minute...they've got to go, and are willing to pay more to do so at last minute. That's the partly te concept of charging more for somebody who's had an entertainer cancel and is seeking a replacement. Their demand is greater, so willingness to pay is increased.

But this all interacts with suppliers (magicians) willingness to to supply. If one is willing to take advantage of the increased urgency of demand and charge higher, or not. Some may, hoping to reap immediate windfall profits. Others may not, seeking to build a repeat customer, or out of some moral code. Though also note the customer is free to shop around if they feel they're getting gouged.

Also, supplier determinants explain why some would charge more if asked to perform on their day off. If somebody sees greater value in taking day off than performing, it will take an increased amount to get them to perform. Others may not place same value on time off, and wouldn't charge extra. It's the suppliers percieved value of their time that determines it.

Lastly, a set price schedule for all performers in and area wouldn't work. First, put aside collusion is illegal. But there's not a standard product: one magician's 40 minute show is not of the same caliber as anothers. What about the magician that doesn't have a 40 minute show? They do and hour set? Also, stage, parlor, illusions, close up, school, corporate...all create non-standard products that can't be readily compared. If you've a leaky faucet, a call to any plumber is easily done and quote relatively easy. Comparing one magician's show to another is not so easy.

Plus, setting a price articially fixes the equilibrium point...and the forces of economics don't like that. Others would see the profits made and start offering shows at lower price. Or, existing magicians will begin offering deals on the sly to get business (OPEC, the most successul cartel has watchers posted at sea ports to verify the amounts being ship match agreements) Nobody's going to tell what they charged, and no way find out. Also, what about those from outside the region coming into the area to perform? How to regulate them?

If price setting was successful, besides the straight out cheating, there's numerous other ways that economic forces will drive point back to true equilibrium. When US government froze prices in the '70's to stop inflation, companies came up with a slew of tricks: shipping product to Canada, then bringing it back in and now able to sell at higher price as an "import." The car rebate was born at this time...same price as before...but after the sale, we give you some back. Magician's will do the same...some magician will begin offering "extras" such as added time, or give aways to the kids. Or they might give rebates...

Hey...this was fun!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Chory
45 minutes of my time is practically valueless, and I do charge a lot of money for my work, but the reason why I ask hundreds of dollars for what I do is because I practiced for years before I ever did my first show.

Some day when you grow up you will understand.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It doesn't matter what you charge. If you are good and create wonderful memories, the word will get out. If not, that word will also get out.

In reality, what is a day worth?

What does a trash man make, a policeman or a firefighter? No education required to do these jobs.

Why does a clown get paid more when they take their make-up off and perform the same show?

One is worth what ever he believes he is worth. If he charges to much, he won't work.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A friend of mine (ours) who lives in Austrialia came to The KIDabra Conference and asked how she can reduce the number of shows. She charged $75.00 and got so much business she couldn't handle it. We suggested she double her price. We were wrong. She doubled her price and got twice as much work she had to hire others to meet the demand.

Supply and demand have a lot to do with price, as well as word of mouth.
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm not sure if Chory is a young boy, or an internet troll, but he sure is funny.

Could Chory be the real Mark Lewis?????
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any reviews on "How to Make a Six Figure Income Doing Kid Shows" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL