The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through magic wand. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Last Friday night I was performing standup for a party of 30 children and 15 0r so Adults. After starting with an animation of a dinner fork then a dove pan the birthday child held my magic wand verticaly while I did the silk through wand, it was great, the whole room screamed,as jaws hit the floor all over the place. It was the first time I had used it in my show ,and you can bet it is now going to be a permenant piece in my show.
The sound of "do it again "by about 20 people is sweet to my ears. I never repeat as a rule but the reaction was so good I went for it a second time. It killed again it's so quick but so strong.
I strongly recomend learning this effect .
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
One time "do it again" won't hurt, but now that you know how strong it is, be prepared for the next time by saying,"Do it again? I'll do it even better!" At that point stretch the silk into a long scarf and perform Scarf through neck or Scarf through body, which uses completely different principles, and so doesn't break the "show once only" rule, and still tops the first effect that caught them all by surprise.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think one of the key elements in your original description of the routine is that the birthday child was an _active_ participant in the routine. Any time the birthday child--or any volunteer for that matter--has an active part in a trick, the audience interest, appreciation and enjoyment increases considerably. Even if you place a coin in your hand and have the child tap the hand to make the coin vanish, the reaction is stronger than just placing the coin in your hand and vanishing it with the children acting solely as passive spectators. Sometimes I do a coin pass and pretend that the coin doesn't vanish. Then I'll tell a child, "Maybe if YOU say the magic word it will work!" or "Maybe if you tap my hand with your finger it will work!" The child is delighted that he/she was able to help the magician make the magic happen.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Both good points gents,thanks for the reply's
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I got an e-mail from someone who asked me how to stretch a silk into a long scarf. It's a variation of Dye Version without the rainbow streamer, just a blue (for example) silk into a long blue scarf (think streamer). Qua-Fiki's new "Inner/Outer Paper Tube" that is described in his "In THEIR Hands Dye-Version" in The Wizards' Journal #23 is an excellent easy solution that doesn't require sleight of hand to accomplish it. Other methods are described in Rice, as well as methods for penetrations. I'd use Tenkai's Rope Through Neck moves with a scarf, but there are other methods as well.
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
Where do I go to purchase silk through wand? I've not learned this and it sounds like a great addition. I'm going to check my Tarbell course too. Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22407 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 16:52, Rock_Slatestone wrote:
Where do I go to purchase silk through wand? Ive not learned this and it sounds like a great addition. Im going to check my Tarbell course too. Thanks.

You can't, it is pieced together trick, using a silk reel. Once you know how to use a reel, you will be able to do wand through wand, microphone stand, cup handle, etc.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I have found the Tango reel to be great(tango ultimate reel).
easy to fix ,quiet,has a brake ect.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I am using a dark blue silk ,one that resembles a neck scarf about 3 foot long ,by 6 inches
it hedes the gimmick perfectly.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hides(oop's)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
It is a great visual effect.
todd
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1101 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 17:28, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-24 16:52, Rock_Slatestone wrote:
Where do I go to purchase silk through wand? Ive not learned this and it sounds like a great addition. Im going to check my Tarbell course too. Thanks.

You can't, it is pieced together trick, using a silk reel. Once you know how to use a reel, you will be able to do wand through wand, microphone stand, cup handle, etc.

Actually you can do this without a reel & the method is in Tarbell. I'm at work and can't recall which volume just now but look at the index in 7 under Penetrative Silks. That might be wrong but I assure you it is in there because I've done it.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Maybe in the wrong section, But what reel do you use for silk through mic / wand magicwalsh@gmail.com thank you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22407 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-10-01 09:00, wally wrote:
Maybe in the wrong section, But what reel do you use for silk through mic / wand magicwalsh@gmail.com thank you.

A reel that is referred to as a finger reel.
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
The silk through magic wand effect always got amazing reactions at the birthday parties I have performed at. I tried performing scarf through neck as a continuation trick, but, to my astonishment, the silk through magic wand effect seemed to have impressed them more...
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Which reel did you use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk through magic wand. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL