The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » MagiFest is BACK!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Just got an email that MagiFest will be RETURNING FOR NEXT YEAR! This from Joshua Jay & Andi Gladwin, who will be the organizers of next year's MagiFest. The proud tradition that has lasted for 80+ years has a new breath of life.

http://www.magifest.org

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Pretty exciting news, especially since I haven't been in several years. Looks like it's getting the facelift it needed. Just registered!
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Not sure how I feel about this one. Not so much to do with Magifest, but with The Session Conventionele, which Josh and Andi are organising just two weeks prior in the UK.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
A lot of conventions went out of business in the last few years. The fact that one of the most popular is coming back is EXCELLENT news!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Nice clean web site, but there is no security on the credit card payment page.
Do NOT send your credit card info, use the phone to call.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Well, in my rush to support this, I neglected to look for the lock. Guess I may just cancel my card- can't afford the risk. Thanks for noticing that!

Jim
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-13 15:00, Doctor D wrote:
Not sure how I feel about this one. Not so much to do with Magifest, but with The Session Conventionele, which Josh and Andi are organising just two weeks prior in the UK.

Hope I didn't jump the gun, but I trust Josh... at any rate, I am in for 2 registrations!

Jim
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Also, I didn't see a price until it asked for the card.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Yay! I love Magi-Fest!
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 08:14, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
Nice clean web site, but there is no security on the credit card payment page.
Do NOT send your credit card info, use the phone to call.

That is not true. The page is embedded with an iFrame to a secure page on the Vanishing Inc. server. I appreciate your concern for fellow Magic Café users, but let me assure you that this is a completely secure practice. You may, if you prefer, register directly here:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/convention/?convention=3

Best

--Andi
P.S - I realise that the padlock means a lot to people, so we will shortly be hosting the page directly on the Magi-Fest site, but until that time, please rest assured that this completely secure.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
First...love that you guys are saving this amazing convention.

Issue...Secure pages:
Most people know that an HTTP" site is not a secure site. Most people will look for the HTTPS: to ensure it is secure and encrypted. (hence the little padlock icon)
Without it, most people will get nervous and steer for safer waters.

I am sad to say that an iFrame embedded within an Http: page is not the same as a straight up HTTPS: page. There are issues. (NOT a completely secure practice)
An XSS attack could work through a redirect or phishing page. There are other factors that are too boring and technical to go into here. There is much discussion in the IT world about embedding secure pages within HTTP. Most will agree that although it is much better than using an unsecured site...it is not as good as a straight up HTTPS site. There some credit card companies that do not allow it. The problem is that many online shops do it without consulting the money movers. As even the huge credit card industry cannot keep up with every clever spin by the coders.

To be honest, I WOULD NOT ever use a credit card on a page without a secure icon/certificate. Why..just telling someone it's secure does not insure security. This is why there are so many checks and balances (and secure icons) on the internet to help keep us safe. For you to just say...hey, don't worry about it...it's safe. Even done with good intentions is not a good idea.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-15 17:38, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Yay! I love Magi-Fest!

Peter-

I remember your act at MagiFest a few years ago- awesome! I hope they invite you back...

Jim
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Thanks Jim. I appreciate it. Actually, Ron and I were in conversation about me coming back in 2013... unfortunately, they let Magi-Fest go after that. Who knows, maybe Josh and Andi will have me? My act has come a long way since you last saw it.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Hi everyone,

We realise the importance that the padlock has to people's perception of how secure a page is. Therefore, we have updated the registration process to show the padlock. You may register here:

http://www.magifest.org/

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. And let me assure you once again, that there is no technical evidence that the method that the site previously used is insecure. However, we are very happy to have the new version live and thank you all for your comments! Any concerns, please feel free to email us at magic@vanishingincmagic.com

I can't wait to meet many of you at the Magi-Fest!

--Andi
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-08-18 13:08, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Thanks Jim. I appreciate it. Actually, Ron and I were in conversation about me coming back in 2013... unfortunately, they let Magi-Fest go after that. Who knows, maybe Josh and Andi will have me? My act has come a long way since you last saw it.

Well, it was flat out GREAT then, so I can't wait to see it! Maybe Andi or Josh will see this and, as you said, who knows?

Jim
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Awesome. Are they having a stage show? Peter I hope your performing I havent seen your act in years.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
My registration is in. The Columbus Magic Club and the Red Coats did such a fantastic job with the convention for so many years - Josh and Andi have some pretty big shoes to fill, but I'm certain they are up to the task. Looking forward to seeing what's in store for us and VERY happy that the Magi-Fest tradition continues!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I just called to get my room reservations and was happy to find a very good rate has been negotiated for MagiFest 2013. Don't be confused by the fact that this is being held at a Crowne Plaza- this is not the same one used in the past. It is in Dublin, Ohio, which is on the northwest side of Columbus.

Jim

http://www.magifest.org
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I will be lecturing @ the 2013 Magi Fest - So what do you want to know about producing live entertainment shows and tours ? Lighting? Audio? Video? Tour and stage management ?
Shoot me an email steven@stevenklineproductions.com with what you are interested in.
I am looking forward to being a part of the new Fest and helping the tradition survive.
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Magic J
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
7 Posts

Profile of Magic J
I met Josh and Andi at the Genii Bash, and learned that their great talent is matched by their generousity and kindness. After talking with Andi about their plans for Magi-Fest, it sounds like it will be an amazing convention. I also applaud their committment to carry on the 80+ year tradition from those who came before, while enhancing the event in the process.
J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » MagiFest is BACK!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL