The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Follow up another magician. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lanky T. Clown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Lanky T. Clown
I have to perform after another magician and I want to do different ricks than he does.
He is doing
Mouth coils(running Gag)
Bowling ball production from drawing pad
assorted silk tricks and sponge ball routines.
Torn and restored newspaper

I have houdinis metamorphosis and a spike box vanish for my assistant who reapears the on opposite end of the stage.
I have a half hour time slot to fill and I need larger tricks on a budget of about $100.
Can anyone help me.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You need time filler effects. The first magician and you might consider doing your shows together.
Looks like yours is the main act, but for $100, they are getting their moneys worth.
-----------------------
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
This game is always really difficult without knowing:

- Your Style & Character
- What you already perform regularly
- Your timeline
- Your skill level and knowledge of various areas of magic
- The venue

The list goes on. I would suggest going with your STRONGEST pieces. Go with material that you know like the back of your hand so that your performance is well polished.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Mark Wilson Complete Course In Magic has some stage illusions that can be made inexpensively. In addition you could consider a mental effect to add to the show that packs small and plays big. That being said, I agree with Chris above - you really need to share many more details (as he points out) to get good advice. Good luck.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Look into some of the "story" books, such as the Punx books or Walt Anthony's "Tales of Enchantment" book. These will give you very good ideas on creating story lines for your effects that can greatly extend the playing time of your effecta.

For a very nice example of how a story line can extend and enhance a simple trick, Watch Master Payne's Coin in Bottle routine on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCUQ3wOBog
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Do any stand up routines you know. Rings, rope, change bag I assume if you're a clown.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I thoroughly agree on "Story Magic"! And Payne truly IS a master! Here is another angle on presentation. Eugene Burgers "Gypsy Thread"...Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=405xMmDpCZs

Doug
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
If you do signature pieces, you'll never have to worry about comparing setlists with another magician ever again.
Lanky T. Clown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Thnx for responding so quickly.
I have a new dillemma. I have to do another event this weekend. I have to perform after another magician and I want to do different tricks than he does.
He is doing
Mouth coils(running Gag)

I have houdinis metamorphosis
but I need bigger tricks for a stage show.
does anyone have some simple but effective tricks that I can use?
I am going as a mexican themed magician!
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 17:50, Lanky T. Clown wrote:
Thnx for responding so quickly.
I have a new dillemma. I have to do another event this weekend. I have to perform after another magician and I want to do different tricks than he does.
He is doing
Mouth coils(running Gag)

I have houdinis metamorphosis
but I need bigger tricks for a stage show.
does anyone have some simple but effective tricks that I can use?

Nothing says "Mexican Themed Magician" like Metamorphosis. I think you should be all set.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-08-12 20:25, Lanky T. Clown wrote:
I have to perform after another magician and I want to do different ricks than he does.
He is doing
Mouth coils(running Gag)

I have houdinis metamorphosis and a spike box vanish for my assistant who reapears the on opposite end of the stage.
I have a half hour time slot to fill and I need larger tricks on a budget of about $100.
Can anyone help me.

Then do a Rope Routine, an Egg Bag Routine and the Linking Rings, That should easily fill half an hour and keep you under a hundred dollars.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 17:50, Lanky T. Clown wrote:

That's the story of my life, now you see my dilemna!
I guess it was Cantu's as well....sigh!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You have just a few days to learn filler routines?

YOu're sure you're not just pulling our legs?

Most "filler" routines take months or years to learn. Magic can normally be performed in moments.. it's the "filler" part, the jokes and the lines and the patter that takes time to perfect.

I know a guy that gets 25 HYSTERICAL minutes out of a 4 ring routine. He's been perfecting it for 30 years. Most people do 3-4 min with the same trick.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 12:01, makeupguy wrote:
I know a guy that gets 25 HYSTERICAL minutes out of a 4 ring routine. He's been perfecting it for 30 years. Most people do 3-4 min with the same trick.

Jay Marshall did 20 killer minutes with a GLOVE!!!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of mpicard
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 13:39, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-08-14 12:01, makeupguy wrote:

Jay Marshall did 20 killer minutes with a GLOVE!!!

Wow that's 4 minutes a finger
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
One of the 4 minutes has to be the most awkward 4 minutes for the audience......
Lanky T. Clown
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

My show is tommorrow I am doing a quick change, metamorohosis, box to box apparition, vanishing cane, rope to silk,ans a card trick with a jumbo deck! thnx for help and ideas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Follow up another magician. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL