The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Carnival Documentary Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

timzilla
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
2 Posts

Profile of timzilla
Hi Folks,

I'm a film maker from Vancouver BC that is looking for a few carnivals to participate in a feature length documentary and / or docu-series. I've done a number of shows on Discovery Channel US and Canada as well as documentaries overseas (primarily India & Africa) and next I'd love to be able to focus my efforts on Carnival Life.

For the past year or so I've been digging up ideas for a show on this idea. I think I've seen pretty much everything that's 'been done' to date and want to do something different.

I've probably talked or emailed with a few of you already. I'm totally fascinated by the stories I've read about the deep culture of committed people, the history, the families, workers and faithful visitors that have paved the road for everyone in the business today.

I'm interested in die-hard owners, operators and workers that keep things going in this era while paying respects to those before them. I'm not looking for the 'biggest' or 'best' operation - I'm not looking for the freak show either. It's not a magic show and nothing will be revealed other than why people do what they do. I'm in search of the guys and girls that make it happen, that keep it going and have shovelled their share of poop along the way.

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to point me in the right direction towards an amazing group of people that are living the life and love and/or hate doing it.

Ideally (but not limited to) I'd love a carnival that travels by train - like the Strates Shows - or that at least has some sense of urgency in getting to the next location. I'd love one with historic ties - family run or owners / workers that are trying to keep a good thing alive. Wether people are wiling to participate, I know, is another question - I'll do my best to be open about my intentions.

I can answer any of your questions if you want to PM me, or just hurl abuse if you want. Really - I'm not that bad of a guy, although my 5 year old just told me he hates me.

CV and references available by request. I appreciate any thoughts or insight you can share.

Thanks,
Tim
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2436 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 17:33, timzilla wrote:
Really - I'm not that bad of a guy, although my 5 year old just told me he hates me.

Don't feel too bad - I hate you too.
timzilla
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
2 Posts

Profile of timzilla
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Wayne, you made me snicker naughtily. That is becoming my regular laugh the older I get.

Tim, I don't know how easy that order will be to fill. But the good news is it's a small pool. If you want abuse you found the right place.

Best of luck!
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Why Stop at Carnivals, why not throw a bone to vendors and the like that jump every week from spot to spot, town to town,state to state, year after. year? Setting up and sloughing, hoping it doesn't rain, or get to hot, or to cold, or to windy. Fickle crowds with tight dollars stuck in their pockets. It is more than just carnivals that make it go. Yeah, they got the big rides with the fancy lights, but for every carnival, there are scores of others ecking out a living trying to get just one more season out of the jalopies.

Btw, stop by the Hippie Store this week in Lynden, just across the border. Go talk to Davis Shows, they had to make a 400 mile overnight jump to open on Monday.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4424 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-08-13 17:33, timzilla wrote:
...... or just hurl abuse if you want.

to b-stardise the MP Argumnet sketch .......

Ih I thought you had come for an argument you want abuse ..... that's next door......

You snivelling idiot cant even make friends with a 5 year old ....... you im-ba-seal!

I hope you get some one to help (I cant and am not in the USA so there..... let us konow how it goes and hope you get all you need to make a decent film. ..... then come back get us all interested and charge us a $ to come see it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Carnival Documentary Series (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL