The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falling out of love with magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I got into magic late in life starting around 1998 or so after a trip to Las Vegas. And like many of you, when I got into it, I really got into it. Thousands of dollars in books later and I have to admit, I find magic completely boring and not interesting in the least. I had been drifting away for a while and then I went to see a performance by a fairly well known magician and was bored to tears.

At point I had to face facts: I was completely over magic as a hobby. I only come here now to post in this forum. One of these days, I'll get around to selling the books and props that are gathering dust.

Any of the rest of you find that magic no longer floats your boat?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Don't be too hasty selling everything. I think most of us have gone through periods such as you. I in fact, put magic aside for almost 10 years. Fortunately I didn't get rid of anything. Once bitten again, I had everything I needed.
Where the magic begins
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Slide, I was never into magic. I was into performing. That is what keeps it fresh. Do you actually perform much, for strangers? If not, that might be what is missing. If you are performing regularly, then I cannot diagnose your problem.

Dave is right thought - interest waxes and wanes. I dropped out for more than a decade, came back and made my living at it. I dropped out of hammer throwing and triathlon for twenty five years, then came back to both. So keep some of the stuff.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Your feeling is not unusual at all.

But I can't tell you how many guys I see trying to rebuild their Library after a sell off.

Sell all but the stuff you really connected with (even if you are not feeling it now). Hold on to the books that spoke to you once.

Best luck Slide.

-Mary Mowder
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I perform regularly but not magic: I play music live on a regular basis. I've never performed magic publicly: I got into because I thought it would be a fun thing to do to entertain clients and I also speak a lot so I thought I could throw that in as well. I still perform at trade shows after everyone has had a few drinks. Smile

But you are on to something: I've always like magic more for the intellectual curiosity. I find watching magic to be tedious.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I think you need to hit a few strangers with some strong stuff, and watch the look of amazement on their faces. Performance will rekindle your interest. Bet you still love the music. It shows that part of you is a performer, and that part is not being fed by your magic.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Most folks that I have run into who have lost their interest were more into "doing tricks" than "performing magic". I have not been a "performer" in more than 30 years, but I still get a chance to perform a time or two a year for our local Ring show, and I get a chance to work on one or two new, fresh routines that keep my interest. I also love to read about new things, particularly illusions.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have been there. I took a couple years off once and it just called me back. I have been very disappointed in the direction magic has gone in the last couple years.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am an odd ball I guess. ( Slide you MUST agree with that!) Magic has never been a hobby with me. From very nearly the first book I bought it has been a way to make money. I fish and golf and have dogs and a thousand other hobbies. I don't load up my pockets to go out, I don't look for opportunities to steer the conversation to magic, I perform for money.

This may be why I have not grown tired of it. I don't have a magic junk drawyer, though I have a ton of fishing stuff! Everything I own is for the purpose of my performances of magic and hypnosis.

It should go without saying that there is not a thing wrong with magic as a hobby. I think it helps keep kids off drugs. The tricks are so expensive that they can't afford the drugs!

It is simply my path. I do not claim it is the only one or even the rignt one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Irma Gurd
View Profile
New user
Left Field
3 Posts

Profile of Irma Gurd
Slide,
I'm glad to see that despite magic no longer "floating your boat" you still recognize it as an intellectual force in the waters. From the Brain to the Hands and back again ya know? Creativity, in all it forms, even the tedious ones, are all a part of making great things, magic or music. I know for one learning scales was pretty tedious and at times boring for me. Smile
Irma F. Gurd
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
When I go through periods of not doing shows I start wondering why I care about magic at all.
Several times in the past I have felt terrible, anxious and uninspired on the way to do a birthday party show. I've told myself to just get through it and I don't have to do any more ever again. Then by the end of the show I've had so much fun and had so many good reactions that I wish I could do three more birthdays that day!

For me another thing that has helped in the past was learning or polishing something that I had wanted to do in the past but never got around to. I'll practice a bit then show it to friends and family; either they'll love it and I'll feel great about it, or I'll screw up and be motivated to really work on it so I can show them how good it really is when it goes right.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I've had that feeling a few times in my life.

I was going to perform at a party and thought why am I doing this? After this show I'm getting rid of everything, I'm done!

So glad I didn't go through with it. My wife of all people, reminded me why I do it. Because I love to interact with people and love to entertain. Magic is just the vehicle that I use to accomplish it. Wow, my wife knows me pretty well. I'm still here and still performing.
Life of Magic!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Danny,

Nothing like needing the paycheck to keep you motivated. Smile And actually, hypnosis has become a very strong interest for me lately, and that I'm more and more interested in, but not stage hypnosis. One of these days, I'd love to chew the fat with you about that.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is watching magic that does not fool you even magic at all?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 12:21, tommy wrote:

"Fooling you", at least to me, is a minor part of the magic. As I said earlier, there was nothing about Lefty that fooled anyone, but he was as magical as it gets.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 12:21, tommy wrote:

Only if it's actually done well.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I think watching magic that doesn't fool you is magic if it is exceptionally good slight of hand. I can always appreciate the skill even if I know how it is done. But I do wonder when the slight of hand is not so polished whether I would find magic in it before I knew how it was done or not. Stage magic has never interested me as I see it as more in the props and performance than any actual skill on the performers part.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Personally, I couldn't imagine not doing mentalism. It's who I am, not just what I do. I'm a performer, hence I must perform.

Good thoughts,

Bob
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I love all kinds of magic but I love the stuff that fools me in a different way. I am only a card guy and most other magic blows me away. I love the dilemma of it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-08-15 17:01, mastermindreader wrote:
Personally, I couldn't imagine not doing mentalism. It's who I am, not just what I do. I'm a performer, hence I must perform.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Good God, Y'all!!! FINALLY, a man who speaks to me! I feel the same about magic as you do Bob, about mentalism. As I read through the posts above, I found myself just shaking my head anytime I got the impression that someone was implying ways for the OP to get back on board.

I couldn't help but think, "Here is a guy who lost his interest and just came to the conclusion that magic may not be his cup of tea."

I understand that everyone wants to be encouraging, but I can't shake the feeling that these words of encouragement are more self-serving in a defense maneuver, as if it devalues our art if someone decides NOT to be a magician.

I have ALWAYS been of the opinion that you either ARE, or you ARE NOT. There are MANY more that ARE NOT. There are MANY that play with magic as a diversion or a casual hobby. If there is a risk of over-saturation with magic in general, then this is, in my opinion, succinct proof that someone is NOT a magician at heart. This is not however, something that I see as bad. In fact, I respect anyone who is able to admit it.

Selling all one's books or props is not necessarily bad. It may be a wise move. If not, there is nothing to be learned by avoiding regret, but a lot gained by learning to live with it. Constantly stepping around the ruts doesn't teach you how to climb out of them.

I will say that for me, there have been times when I became tired of certain aspects of magic, namely when I wondered if I was prostituting my abilities just to pay a few bills. These were times when I took shows that left me feeling discouraged, because I knew I was capable of doing better. Horrible working conditions, little, if any pay, and audiences that ranged from apathetic to dangerous were all things I have faced. It was not fun, but somewhere in my soul, I knew these things were all part of a bigger picture... and it was the life I had chosen (unless it could be said that it chose me).

Whenever I faced obstacles that seemed insurmountable, I did not lose my faith in magic, but I did sometimes look for ways to re-invent myself. I have seen several incarnations of myself, but I have always been a magician. Magic has always been my mistress and my first love. It has cost me the larger part of my life, and at times a lot of the things that most people would consider living, but it has given me so much more.

You either ARE, or you ARE NOT.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Falling out of love with magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL