The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Envelope Game by Matt Mello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magicdahl
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Magicdahl
It's a phychological game with two envelopes, where through subliminal influence, the spectator always chooses the losing envelope. Many many ways you can use this.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey Steve,

Here's a little more information:

You show two envelopes...one with a question mark, and one that's blank. A spectator is asked to touch one, and are then given the chance to change their decision, bearing in mind some new information. You then let them in on your 'subliminal' suggestion, and allow them to switch envelopes should they wish, now that they can see your supposed "influence". No matter what they decide to do...you always win!

Because you're apparently teaching them how it works...it isn't something that you can repeat with them...but doesn't need to be repeated for the effect to really stick with the spectator and those watching!

While it doesn't read like a huge effect...the subliminal secret you learn and teach is SO cool...and a second subtlety at the end creates the illusion that you use subliminal influence ALL THE TIME! Utilized correctly, it will strengthen your reputation and make you VERY believable as a thought manipulator!

Matt
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1085 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Quote:
On 2012-08-17 23:34, matthewmello wrote:
Hey Steve,

While it doesn't read like a huge effect...the subliminal secret you learn and teach is SO cool...and a second subtlety at the end creates the illusion that you use subliminal influence ALL THE TIME! Utilized correctly, it will strengthen your reputation and make you VERY believable as a thought manipulator!

Matt

that's a big selling point and makes a huge difference in how I picture this.

Sounds very interesting Matt and thanks for the reply.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Matt sent me this yesterday and I think it is excellent. Very useable and baffling```1

Great work Matt!
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
No problem, Steve! Hope you like it!

And glad to hear that you enjoyed it, Andrew!

Matt
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
This effect is AWESOME. Matt has put some very clever thinking behind this routine. The whole time I was doing the sly smile to myself. I love BOLD magic and what Matt has created here is definitely BOLD but that's why I like it. I particularly like an additional idea given by Bill Cushman. I thought it added a sort of justification to the effect (not like it needed any justificatoin before) The subltities are what make this routine. Matt has put in some really nice and visually pleasing convincers that really make this seem like a serious piece of subliminal influencing.

Great job Matt!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Matt is a very clever guy. He is definately on a roll. This routine is subtle and yet to the point. It seems a playful and innocent game, but points to arcane knowledge. On the surface it says you don't take yourself too seriously (read: you are fun), but also communicates that you know a thing about the mind and how to toy with it. Double entendre for mentalism; well done Matt!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4669 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, I mimmick all that has been said- this is a very nice routine. And as other have suggested, you will be able to apply this to other ideas. As usual, for the price- well worth it! Thanks Matt!

RNK
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, everybody!

'The Envelope Game' can now be found on Penguin Magic here...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2795

Or you can still buy it personally from me by sending $10 to mtricks16@aol.com through paypal.

Thanks!

Matt
snm
View Profile
Elite user
422 Posts

Profile of snm
Just bought this over at Penguin and read through it. LOVE it! Great routine with some awesome convincers and subtleties that really make it seem like the real deal. A+

My only issue would be that it's not really that practical for walkaround. I would love to use this in my restaurant work without having to make up a bunch of envelopes. If anyone comes up with a handling (or presentational subtlety) that would adapt this for walkaround, please let me know!

Excellent Job Matt. Keep them coming! Hope to see more of this awesome work soon!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, SNM! Yeah, I wish it was easier for walk-around to! If I ever have a simple idea to make it work, will definitely let you know!

For those who haven't purchased, let it be known that this still CAN be done close-up, but is more ideal for stand-up because you're constantly ripping open envelopes. So you either have to make a bunch before your walk-around gig, or just do it with one group that you've got a good rapport with!

Matt
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
Blimey it's HARD writing reviews of magic. I mean, I'm used to dealing with SPOILERS but... so Matt, Bill, please holler if you think I've said to much. Well, I definitely say too much, but not necessarily about the effect Smile

Review!?

If you have any sort of interest in mentalism, you surely know a couple of "choose an envelope - ha wrong one" type tricks. They're probably in a book you bought, or maybe one of the effects you weren't bothered about on a dvd. So why buy this one? This is where it gets HARD to write.

One answer is that in magic you are never supposed to repeat a trick, but you are always asked to, so it helps if you know another trick that's somehow related, but ideally has a totally different method, or looks like it. For me, Matt Mello's "The Envelope Game" could fulfil that role.

Officially the best magic trick I have ever done was a personalised version of Andy Nyman's "Mr Saturday Night" at my niece's christening. It was everything I'd ever wanted from magic. It was beautiful and funny and created an emotional connection. Apparently just using some cheap bits of card and envelopes! (Oh, and for all you know, magnets, electronics, GPS, IT, TT, a DL, a Svengali deck, trapdoors, and Teller hiding under the table).

Now, thanks to Matthew Mello, I know what to say at the drinks for my sister's birthday when the subject comes up if someone asks me to show them... Oh, and thanks to Bill Cushman, I know what to say I have put in one of the envelopes.

Matthew's envelope game only uses two envelopes, so it's a lot easier to have apparently just on you. I know this makes it only 50/50, but that in and of itself can become massively powerful. My feeling is that it's easier to be freaked out and not know which one to pick when the choices are so limited, and Matt's routine makes it seem like a powerful demonstration of your skills about which you are supremely confident.

I don't think you could or should perform this effect on its own. You'll probably want to have already convinced your audience of your incredible mental powers, and use this almost as an faux explanation of how you do your stuff. For that part, it's the routining and the subtleties that make "The Envelope Game" truly worthwhile. It's those touches that will cement the idea in your audience that you aren't just guessing or hoping they'll choose the right envelope - you KNEW they'd do what they did...

...and once your audience believes you can do the impossible, you really can get away with murder!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, Mark, glad you enjoyed the subtleties! Agreed that this is best used in a larger set of suggestion routines, to strengthen the spectators belief in your abilities!

But at the same time, I've used this as is, just removing the envelopes from my pocket as if I play the game with people all the time, and spectators are still very intrigued by it! Though I admit I will usually do SOMETHING after. They'll be begging you to!

Matt
Dogsbody_D
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Dogsbody_D
I suspect you are right Matt and that I am being what is known as "a whimp" who needs to understand audience management!

I'll let you know after the pub!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey guys,

Wanted to share a cool idea for those of you that may also own my 'Modern Mentalism' set. The main subtlety in 'The Envelope Game' goes perfectly with my 'Dark Arts' envelope! First, you show them the "suggestion" bit from The Envelope Game, then have them draw a symbol on a business card and place it inside the envelope. You can then play it up that you were imagining a specific image, and were trying to suggest it to them through your body movements. You then draw what you were concentrating on, and open the envelope to show that they match!

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to contact me!

Matt
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
252 Posts

Profile of ranpink
This is excellent!!! The Envelope Game is clever and practical and I echo all the positive statements made earlier in the thread. I also love Bill Cushman's idea for what to put in the envelopes. Matt is definitely on a roll...Keep it up Matt!

Ran
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have always enjoyed psychological type effects and which are believable from the spectator's point of view. The Envelope Game certainly is, purely based on the spectator's choice of envelope.

This may not be the most earth shattering illusion but it is intriguing, plausible and is something you can easily carry around with you and perform at a moments notice. It is something I really like and have already enjoyed some excellent results from those who have seen it. There are also some very fine touches to the routine which add to the intrigue and spectator's eventual puzzlement.

Thanks Matt, you have come up with a subtle winner.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Since obtaining this I have thought about several different approaches I could take but in the end settled for the one Matt describes. It is an absolute delight to perform, gets a spectator nicely involved and with plenty of scope for banter. I also like the psychological angle brought into the effect.

Although The Envelope Game may not have attracted a great deal of attention - unlike the hype surrounding some effects - it is among my favourite acquisitions of the year, principally because it is something I can use and enjoy using.

Neil
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
780 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you, Neil! Yeah, I love the psychological angle in The Envelope Game! So fun to watch them second guess themselves after you reveal the secret "suggestion"!

Matt
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
192 Posts

Profile of Wardy
I just bought this and love it instantly. This is going straight into my program, it will be perfect as my closer to prove the point of what I've been saying during my program. The additional idea by Bill is brilliant and makes it spec-proof. Thanks Matt, this is exactly what I've been looking for regarding subliminal manipulation.

Cheers, Wardy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Envelope Game by Matt Mello (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL